Those who rent - what do you actually get for your money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
I am not asking for rent figures here, I am interested to know what you get for the money you pay for your room/desk etc.

Do you get any pricelists printed or advertising for example? Do you get stock or even just sundries like cotton wool/acetone etc? Do you have someone answering the phone to take bookings if you are busy?

Or are you paying literally for your area and the electricity/water you use? How do you feel about this?

All rentees info welcome, full time/part time etc.:green:

I'm renting a room and all im getting is the room, the water, electricity and all are paid for me so the only bill i pay is the rent.

i have to buy my own equipment and products. i have my own number for the room and i answer the calls although the hairdressers downstairs take calls aswell if clients ring there.

i only started a month ago and things are quite, dont know if i can continue with the room if it keeps going like this. i have to advertise myself and use my own leaflets and pricelists which is a bit hard when there aren't any clients

hope this helps
xxxx

I rent two rooms in a hair salon. They are the only rooms on the 1st floor.

For my rent I get all rates included. I don't pay water etc. I get use of their kitchen and their milk (I bring my own tea, sugar, cups etc.)

Their staff see my clients in, get them to fill in forms, can take payments if necessary, can also sell gv.

I get a free car parking for myself and my therapist.

I do not get appointments made or calls taken.

I get constant advertising from the stylists.

B xxx

Ok, for the two who have replied so far, do you think your rent is fair with regards to what you get for it?

yes i think it is really good. i know places are charging £100 or more for rooms but mine is far more cheaper than that. are you thinking of renting a room?

xxxxx

I already have a room! It's a long story lol.

I am just interested in other Geeks experiences. Lets just say I had one place where I paid more but got more, now I pay slightly less but get practically nothing, and am not quite sure how I feel about it!

It's good to share experiences like this, as I am am sure there are a lot of people who have only ever rented one or two places, and have nothing to compare to?

I rent within a hair salon. I have 2 beauty rooms 1 for tanning and 1 for facials, waxing ect. I have shared use of the reception where my maicure station and retail items are. I have a kitchen which the hairdressers also use as a staff room. I buy all my own stock, advertise myself. Just pay a set rent which includes water, electricity and telephone. The hairdressers make appointments for me and sell vouchers and there is loads of free parking.

Kirsty x

well this is my first room so i dont have anything to compare to. what are you getting for your room now and what did you get for the other room?

are you saving more money now or would you have needed those extra things in the other room?

would it cost you more to get those extra things for your new room?

well this is my first room so i dont have anything to compare to. what are you getting for your room now and what did you get for the other room?

are you saving more money now or would you have needed those extra things in the other room?

would it cost you more to get those extra things for your new room?

I will PM you! x x x

Hi, I rent a room,which is, just the room (its upstairs in a hairdressers). Its a fixed rate which include water, electricity, heating etc.. Ive also got use of the kitchen area too. I prefer it like this, as its not complicated. The person that was there a long time ago before me, they were taking bookings etc.. and it was all percentage worked out plus the rent etc.. So this suits me fine, I take bookings myself but quite often the hairdressers rings me to say theyve got someone that wants their nails done and I can book them in like that. I paid for all my advertising - business cards and leaflets etc.. But being in a hairdressers is very beneficial as I am constantly getting advertsing through them. Plus, theyve done one side of the shop front to advertise my nails which is great xx

I rent space up stairs in a hair salon for a basic weekly rent and that covers the space, electricity, hot/cold water, tea/coffee and that staff promote me to their clients. Whether I am in the salon one day or seven days, the rent is the same. When I go on holiday or I am off sick, I still pay the same rent.

I make my own bookings, have my own payment system and deal with enquiries directly so as to avoid confusion.

I am very happy and so is the salon owner with this arrangement.

I rent from 2 venues.

Venue one, I pay a % of each treatment, this works in my favour sometimes as if I'm quiet or taking annual leave it doesn't cost me anything.

for that I get, the room, its heated, it has running hot water, I dont pay an extra. The room gets cleaned once a week.
The receptionist takes all of my bookings for me.
I get full use of kitchen, tea, coffee and a water machine.

Venue two, I pay a set rent regardless if I go in or not.
for that I get room heated, I have a shower and a sink, and a small waiting area.
The hairdressers take my appointments for me and will sell gift vouchers.
I can help myself to coffee and tea.

At both venues my posters etc are on display. Both venues promote my orally.

I take all my own payments, cash or cheque.
I do my own publicity.
I buy all my own products, and all my own promotional things.

At first mine was fair - I had an instant clientelle but I think now I pay over the odds but thats life, its been reduced by £100 and I'm really happy and they are easy landlords so I guess its ok - ideally it would free! lol

B x

Latest posts

Back