Thoughts on the dreaded Sun In?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

room 97

Reaction score
As the title says has anyone had experience with this stuff on clients hair? How long does it stay in the hair for and how is it to treat ie, colour perm or permanant streightening? Help would be much appreciated... Thanx geeks xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Only thoughts and advoce i would give are
1-Dont touch it
and
2-Dont colour anyones hair with sun in on it

End of
x

I've yet to have a client who's used it...if they lie what would I be looking for in a strand test? Or is it the incompatibility test that will react?

No no deffinately NO I have a client who used it about 18months ago and her hair is only just stopped snapping she started with waist length hair and now has a chin length bob x

Keystle, are you a hairdresser or beauty therapist, profile says no to all the options.

Sun in is the devils work! Each time heat is applied it lightens, it's not a product that will wash out.
I wouldn't recommend any chemical treatments, just keep on using an intensive conditioner.

Any colours you use will end up fading really fast as the sun in bleaches out the tint, offer to cut it all or as much as you can out and tell her to pour it all down the drain.

People have been known to have scalp burns from it also. Xoxo

With sun in, its a progressive lightener, so in essence it will make colour fade quicker, the desired target shader will always come up at least 2 shades lighter and depending where it has been placed can look patchy. Ive seen some skunk looks and its not nice. (!)

Either fill it in with a semi or quasi- for a natural effect. But realistically you really need to cut it out. I would definalty avoid a chemical process, as the hair will react with it, and can leave a fluffy like texture. hths xoxo

Awful stuff! Don't go near it x

Hi krystel hasnt said she is a hairdresser. You are allowed to join this site if you are not a hairdresser. You can work in tesco and still use this site. That maybe why her profile is not filled in.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

How is this stuff still for sale?

Hi krystel hasnt said she is a hairdresser. You are allowd to joi this site if you are not a hairdresser. You can work in tesco and still use this site. That maybe y her profile is not filled in.

That's true but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to recommend OTC products within the professional discussions part.

Hi all, I am not a hair geek but was once a Sun In victim. I can't believe that stuff is still for sale, I warn everyone I know about it after my experience!!

I wasn't happy with the results of the weaker solution so started on the stronger. The peroxide was so strong it left white spots on my neck, chest, forehead etc from where the solution had come into contact with my skin. At first my hair went a light blonde then it turned into a bright orange brassy straw-like mess. I was desperate to get it coloured but the hairdresser wouldn't touch it, she did a strand test and the hair basically disintegrated. It was a nightmare for the next 10 months, was constantly using treatments etc and had to get a lot cut off. That was around 4 years ago now and have pampered my hair religiously ever since!

Sure I wasn't the first unsuspecting teen and probs not the last!xx

Hi all, I am not a hair geek but was once a Sun In victim. I can't believe that stuff is still for sale, I warn everyone I know about it after my experience!!

I wasn't happy with the results of the weaker solution so started on the stronger. The peroxide was so strong it left white spots on my neck, chest, forehead etc from where the solution had come into contact with my skin. At first my hair went a light blonde then it turned into a bright orange brassy straw-like mess. I was desperate to get it coloured but the hairdresser wouldn't touch it, she did a strand test and the hair basically disintegrated. It was a nightmare for the next 10 months, was constantly using treatments etc and had to get a lot cut off. That was around 4 years ago now and have pampered my hair religiously ever since!

Sure I wasn't the first unsuspecting teen and probs not the last!xx

Lol-I was one of those teens also. My friend and I thought it'd be a great idea to lighten our hair so went straight for the extra strong Sun-In. After using half a bottle between us we dried our hair and went outside with a mirror. Nope, still not light enough!! After finishing the bottle we dried and headed outside with a mirror again-OMG! We both had the exact same shade of straw-haha!! We went around high school for the next X number of months with the same shade. It was dry, brittle and just awful. Safe to say we never touched the stuff again. Think that was close to 17/18 years ago :-O. Stay safe, stay away-lol!! PGx

I too had a go with sun in sprayed my hair had drier on there and turned my dark hair blonde. Then it went orangy straw like. It was a matted mess!!! I had to walk around growing it out bright orange pony tail dark brown roots yuk it wasn't a good look for part of my teenage years.

I too had the white spots all over where solution went.

This was about 20 years ago can't believe it's still in the shop!!

Should be banned!!

I bought some a while back too luckily my partner was using it a week before i planned too use it thinking it was hair spray (typical bloke) and his hair went a nice orange colour day by day!!! Snapped all his hair and what he had left looked like a birds nest!!!

I told him he could keep the product lol but thankfully he through it away along with the shavings of his birds nest

I will never touch that stuff! Lethal*

That's true but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to recommend OTC products within the professional discussions part.

Absolutely right, non pros should not be posting and certainly not recommending OTC product...it's all the in the rules folks ;)

I have deleted the post, and the subsequent quote of it.

Yes I am a Qualified Extensionist and also have completed level 2 nvq in hair dressing. Its just a quick fix and I think its great!!! x

Yes I am a Qualified Extensionist and also have completed level 2 nvq in hair dressing. Its just a quick fix and I think its great!!! x

To save any further confusion, you really should fill out your profile with these details, then you will show on your posts as a Hair pro.

I think you should also re read the site rules, which state you should not be recommending Over the counter products on the pro forums....rule 13 ;)

Salon Geek - Forum Rules

She did not recomend she just said what she used and her opinion of it that is that the op's questions is.

She didnt tell anyone to use it. Just that she got on well with it and liked it realy this forum is getting pathetic amd iv been a member for 7 years it has changed also since new mods.

Latest posts

Back