Tigi -

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unilever, which is why they have given the marketing a massive boost and creating new and better products! :0) x

Can't fully agree with you here Blue (sorry).

Unilever also manufacture Timotei, Tresemme and Lynx Shampoos etc. which I think we can agree are a bit rubbish.

The salons will be a good breeding ground to test new products and ideas before launching them through the consumer lines worldwide. They also don't mind dumping excess stock in cheaper stores to clear it, and that can really hurt your salon's exclusivity in the eyes of clients. Unilever really don't know enough about how the salons think (yet) and they are relying more and more on their network of retail outlets to clear their stock at the end of each year. I give it 2 years (no more than that) before Tigi is actually in Asda - I think this is what the whole exercise is about.

Remember how Tresemme used to be a professional line before they got bought by Unilever? I have no reason to think Tigi will be any different, and they have started testing the waters already by placing current stock into retail outlets.

I have a feeling you won't agree with me because you are very loyal to your brands when you stock them (when you stocked Matrix you were equally as supportive of them for instance) but I'd lay £100 on the table right now and predict that by Christmas 2014 you won't be a Tigi user. ;) :)

Until then though ... I'll be soaking up the Tigi knowledge from your posts :)

Unilever also manufacture Timotei, Tresemme and Lynx Shampoos etc. which I think we can agree are a bit rubbish.

The salons will be a good breeding ground to test new products and ideas before launching them through the consumer lines worldwide. They also don't mind dumping excess stock in cheaper stores to clear it, and that can really hurt your salon's exclusivity in the eyes of clients. Unilever really don't know enough about how the salons think (yet) and they are relying more and more on their network of retail outlets to clear their stock at the end of each year. I give it 2 years (no more than that) before Tigi is actually in Asda - I think this is what the whole exercise is about.

Remember how Tresemme used to be a professional line before they got bought by Unilever? I have no reason to think Tigi will be any different, and they have started testing the waters already by placing current stock into retail outlets.

I have a feeling you won't agree with me because you are very loyal to your brands when you stock them (when you stocked Matrix you were equally as supportive of them for instance) but I'd lay £100 on the table right now and predict that by Christmas 2014 you won't be a Tigi user. ;) :)

Ill accept cheque ;)
I presume you stock GHD?
These are already in Argos, no I accept what your saying and can see where your coming from but nothing now is salon exclusive! Not even Aveda

Ill accept cheque ;)
I presume you stock GHD?
These are already in Argos, no I accept what your saying and can see where your coming from but nothing now is salon exclusive! Not even Aveda

Cheque's will also be obselete by Christmas 2014 :lick:

Nah, don't stock GHD (for the very reason you said).

Aveda hasn't been salon exclusive for a while (the retail at least) but when it's sold outside of salons it is in the likes of Harvey Nicks, Debenhams etc. and at the same price it is available in salon.

Even online you will struggle to find it at a discount. Aveda Invati Shampoo is £19.50 and is one of our top sellers. The cheapest I found it for online was £18.13 - it makes it totally not worth the hassle of having to wait for it to arrive.

If I walked into B&M Discount and found Aveda on the shelves at half the price I was retailing it for though it would be out of my salon tomorrow. When clients tell me they saw my shampoo in Harvey Nicks the other day though I don't mind that at all LOL.

You really ought to come over to the dark side. ;) I do stock other brands too but the last time I ordered any Tigi was 9 years ago as I could see the writing on the wall - it was in too many salons and clients find it difficult to differentiate one from another.

Despite all that though, I do like how we can talk together without fear of the other one getting offended or anything. You're a top bloke (even if you use TiGi) :green:

Cheque's will also be obselete by Christmas 2014 :lick:

Nah, don't stock GHD (for the very reason you said).

Aveda hasn't been salon exclusive for a while (the retail at least) but when it's sold outside of salons it is in the likes of Harvey Nicks, Debenhams etc. and at the same price it is available in salon.

Even online you will struggle to find it at a discount. Aveda Invati Shampoo is £19.50 and is one of our top sellers. The cheapest I found it for online was £18.13 - it makes it totally not worth the hassle of having to wait for it to arrive.

If I walked into B&M Discount and found Aveda on the shelves at half the price I was retailing it for though it would be out of my salon tomorrow. When clients tell me they saw my shampoo in Harvey Nicks the other day though I don't mind that at all LOL.

You really ought to come over to the dark side. ;) I do stock other brands too but the last time I ordered any Tigi was 9 years ago as I could see the writing on the wall - it was in too many salons and clients find it difficult to differentiate one from another.

Despite all that though, I do like how we can talk together without fear of the other one getting offended or anything. You're a top bloke (even if you use TiGi) :green:

If I'm truly honest, yes I like Tigi products always have done but I don't like stocking them BUT I have to admit it sells in my area, and that consequently lines my pockets... Or it will soon ;)

What other DARK side come I come over too ;) I may pop down next year x

If I'm truly honest, yes I like Tigi products always have done but I don't like stocking them BUT I have to admit it sells in my area, and that consequently lines my pockets... Or it will soon ;)

What other DARK side come I come over too ;) I may pop down next year x

Well I can't argue with that!! If your area demands it then it's a good idea to stock it.

I shall see you next year! :)

Well I can't argue with that!! If your area demands it then it's a good idea to stock it.

I shall see you next year! :)

Salons have loreal, Paul Mitchell, redken, and they never sell a baked bean!

Salons have loreal, Paul Mitchell, redken, and they never sell a baked bean!

That's probably down to the fact you don't work there if you look at it realistically! Not every stylist is cut out to be a super-star stylist.

It seems to me that you talk to the client about their hair instead of your holidays. The latter won't diagnose hair problems and offer solutions but soooo many hairdressers are content doing so.

If it was YOUR Redken salon I am sure the shelves would be empty within the week! ;)

When I go shopping for bread I go to where is nearest. But when I go shopping for corned beef pasties (my favourite pasty) I can only get them at Morrisons, Greggs and Aldi, so I make a special trip and spend more money while I am there on the other stuff I intend to buy.

Perhaps you have something similar that you go out of your usual way to purchase when you can?

Now imagine, for some people, that special something is a shampoo bottle that needs replacing every 6 weeks and imagine if your salon was the only hairdressers in the area that stocked it? Imagine if it wasn't even available in the wholesalers or at cheap prices online? Money doesn't come into the equation when people really like something - perhaps there is room for a small shelf of retail next to your Tigi that other salons in the area just don't have? See what I am getting at? ;)

That's probably down to the fact you don't work there if you look at it realistically! Not every stylist is cut out to be a super-star stylist.

It seems to me that you talk to the client about their hair instead of your holidays. The latter won't diagnose hair problems and offer solutions but soooo many hairdressers are content doing so.

If it was YOUR Redken salon I am sure the shelves would be empty within the week! ;)

When I go shopping for bread I go to where is nearest. But when I go shopping for corned beef pasties (my favourite pasty) I can only get them at Morrisons, Greggs and Aldi, so I make a special trip and spend more money while I am there on the other stuff I intend to buy.

Perhaps you have something similar that you go out of your usual way to purchase when you can?

Now imagine, for some people, that special something is a shampoo bottle that needs replacing every 6 weeks and imagine if your salon was the only hairdressers in the area that stocked it? Imagine if it wasn't even available in the wholesalers or at cheap prices online? Money doesn't come into the equation when people really like something - perhaps there is room for a small shelf of retail next to your Tigi that other salons in the area just don't have? See what I am getting at? ;)

Yes I do.....out of interest... What irons and brushes do you have? I'd like to find a really nice bristle brush range other than reginco's.

I only have my tea and coffee for home from whittards... Just spent a small fortune!

thought u used cloud nine blue ? I love the ghd brushes especially the natural bristle ones :) x

thought u used cloud nine blue ? I love the ghd brushes especially the natural bristle ones :) x

I do... They don't do brushes so ceramic ill have off Tigi... But I get so bored so easy on my own :( x

Been xmas shopping today and in tk maxx there was everything tigi...catwalk shampoo to the old oatmeal stuff..ridiculous..there was even schwarzkopf bonacure shampoo!!!!! :(

Yeah here's a picture of them there. Seen my bum, I wouldn't mind as much with old stock, but selling things we can barely buy in at the price they sell is madness xoxo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354481798.327760.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354481798.327760.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 192
I also think TIGI are testing the market to eventually get it into retail stores such as Asda etc.

I had a meeting with someone from TIGI not too long ago. Very nice person and very passionate about the brand which cannot be knocked whatsoever! However it does appear to be one rule for one and another rule for another, which did piss me off to a certain extent.

I was basically told I was unable to stock the brand as I'm not a salon, which I totally understand! However when I asked the question, why can "Company A" stock the product and I can't, the simple answer was "because they're a huge company"... so?? They trade the exact same way as I do. In fact they trade a little differently than I do, because I don't sell to consumers.

So yeah, a salon professional product being sold to huge retailers, which they can sell at knock down prices, totally removing the salon... It'll be a low cost leader in no time at all!

Yes I do.....out of interest... What irons and brushes do you have? I'd like to find a really nice bristle brush range other than reginco's.

I only have my tea and coffee for home from whittards... Just spent a small fortune!

We don't sell irons - instead we sell brazilian blowdries which need doing every 3-4 months (hint hint). Aveda make their own paddle brushes which we sell, but no ceramics. We also sell wooden back-combing brushes which go well.

Funny you should mention tea - I only drink Tesco Finest Earl Grey so there's something else I have to travel for :)

Whittards is a great comparison - imagine if a local retailer advertised that they are now official stockists of Whittard's tea - you would visit right? ;)

I also think TIGI are testing the market to eventually get it into retail stores such as Asda etc.

I had a meeting with someone from TIGI not too long ago. Very nice person and very passionate about the brand which cannot be knocked whatsoever! However it does appear to be one rule for one and another rule for another, which did piss me off to a certain extent.

I was basically told I was unable to stock the brand as I'm not a salon, which I totally understand! However when I asked the question, why can "Company A" stock the product and I can't, the simple answer was "because they're a huge company"... so?? They trade the exact same way as I do. In fact they trade a little differently than I do, because I don't sell to consumers.

So yeah, a salon professional product being sold to huge retailers, which they can sell at knock down prices, totally removing the salon... It'll be a low cost leader in no time at all!

And suppliers like yourselves will be disappearing as all us professionals will be able to get it at the supermarket for less than stockists can supply so basically losing us trade and causing
More people to lose their job as well as diminish smaller business's.

It's about time I did what I told uniliver I would do a long time ago... I'm off to test new products on the staffs children instead of them using animals. Don't think they will like it. Ah well, if it burns it burns, they can always pop out another sprog. Xoxo

Absolutely - and they'll buy another brand once they're finished with it.

The thing is, they've done really well selling Tresemme into the likes of Asda. There might be some resistance though from the buyers when it comes to giving shelf space nationally to a £10 shampoo. Imagine if by next summer they can produce figures that state:

"In each of your areas we have X amount of salons using this brand on your customers at an average of 25 salons per store. If each of those salons does 10 customers per day x 3 stylists, that's 3750 women a week coming into your store who would buy the product. We trialled it with your competitor B&M discount last year and they went from £0 in sales to £2000 per week from a half-metre slot in just 4 weeks. The ROI is proven."

And you know what else? I bet when it happens they will tell the sales reps to tell the salons "We don't know how it happened and we're looking into it - Asda are selling 'diverted' stock and we're figuring out how to 'buy it back'. But look at this amazing new conditioner that we've launched that isn't in Asda!" LOL

I'm too old and jaded to fall for it anymore.

B&M haven't got a salon in this whole country so why the heck are Unilever supplying them with current Tigi products at amazing prices? Because they need sales figures to show other retailers! Simples. :)

Absolutely - and they'll buy another brand once they're finished with it.

The thing is, they've done really well selling Tresemme into the likes of Asda. There might be some resistance though from the buyers when it comes to giving shelf space nationally to a £10 shampoo. Imagine if by next summer they can produce figures that state:

"In each of your areas we have X amount of salons using this brand on your customers at an average of 25 salons per store. If each of those salons does 10 customers per day x 3 stylists, that's 3750 women a week coming into your store who would buy the product. We trialled it with your competitor B&M discount last year and they went from £0 in sales to £2000 per week from a half-metre slot in just 4 weeks. The ROI is proven."

And you know what else? I bet when it happens they will tell the sales reps to tell the salons "We don't know how it happened and we're looking into it - Asda are selling 'diverted' stock and we're figuring out how to 'buy it back'. But look at this amazing new conditioner that we've launched that isn't in Asda!" LOL

I'm too old and jaded to fall for it anymore.

B&M haven't got a salon in this whole country so why the heck are Unilever supplying them with current Tigi products at amazing prices? Because they need sales figures to show other retailers! Simples. :)

But if we bought it at the price they sell it to b and m we can discount it and show them the figures, and its keeping it salon exclusive as well as helping smaller business's rather than huge giants that own half of the world like Asda xoxo

Totes agree

But if we bought it at the price they sell it to b and m we can discount it and show them the figures, and its keeping it salon exclusive as well as helping smaller business's rather than huge giants that own half of the world like Asda xoxo

Unfortunately though Tomme, Unilever is an even bigger company than Asda, so expecting them to ignore Asda and their huge customer base in favour of a network of small salons would mean turning their world around and favouring principles over profit.

It won't happen.

Small companies that do stick by their guns ending up being offered massive amounts of money to effectively cease trading. PPS was doing so well as a company that supplied only to hairdressers that Wella (Procter & Gamble) bought them out and ceased trading the company. It's all about the Benjamins! :)

For this simple reason this is why we have changed to a PURE Exclusive Range ALFAPARF we changed from Matrix as we did not like the route Matrix are going down, as we changed from loreal to matrix, but we changed 5 months ago to Alfaparf and it is GREAT, exclusive and only for professionals.

Yeah here's a picture of them there. Seen my bum, I wouldn't mind as much with old stock, but selling things we can barely buy in at the price they sell is madness xoxo

Where did u take that picture? It looks exactly the same as what I saw in Leicester xxx

Latest posts

Back