Time to clamp down on bad lash practise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine143a

Reaction score
A client today told me she had her lashes done at my nearest competitor (£2 eyebrow wax, £3 eyebrow and upper lip - get my drift!). They give their clients a magazine so they can "fan" their eyes to stop them stinging so much during treatment :eek:

After the treatment my client heard the therapist tell her (the "therapist")friend that it stings so much because the glue she uses is so strong it is not actually EE glue but she uses it because it lasts so long. God knows what she is using - superglue springs to mind eek!

Several hours later another client came in to ask me about permanent make up. She had had her lashes done at same salon. They were flare lashes (bulb type we used for temporary use), and she visits said salon on a regular basis to get them done. She was very keen on perm eyeliner and agreed to come back when flare lashes were off - in her words 3-4 weeks - omg! (And they told her she could return for infills - god knows what her lashes are going to be like in several months :eek:)

As an industry, does anyone here think we should be canvassing the authorities about these bad practises, or am I just being tooo anal about professionalism (again). Are EE going to become the next NNS type bugbear in our profession? This time though, we are talking about clients eyes - nails are important, but fgs EYES being compromised like this!

Any experience / thoughts / feedback greatly appreciated.

Totally agree. It is shocking and it makes me wonder about their training, if any training at all was given. There should be some regulation where salons get investigated when reports of this practice is heard. This poor lady's lashes are going to be in a sorry state in 3 weeks time.

Eek!!! I really hope it's not superglue :( if I were you I would alert the authorities, it's just ridiculous!! I'm shocked and terrified for people and for all us professionals who do the job correctly as it compromises us too.

I have had some major-ish problems recently with my eyes as they are extremely sensitive and I insist on wearing contacts lol so if someone was shoving a strong smelling glue that stung near my eyes I would not be pleased as would probably lose my sight (I almost did from an allergic reaction)

I really am hoping this is just a one off and no one else had seen something similar...x

Omg that's shocking!!!

Yep it really annoys me that alot of us have trained for years and then spent money on eyelash training to carry out professional treatments, and there are cowboy/girls out there who basically YouTube "eyelash extensions" and basically freestyle the treatments (superglue) and undercut us, and the poor clients are none the wiser!! There are so many of them out there it really irritates me...:0

It also annoys me when I see clients paying for "individual eyelash extensions", that are actually just those cluster lashes you buy from boots! This def needs regulated and the bad practice needs phased out somehow. No wonder us beauty therapists get a bad reputation when there are these jokers going around!

Sorry rant over lol :D

No don't worry it annoys me too! Someone was telling me the other day that they would NEVER have eyelash extensions as they heard it really damages your eyes and lashes! I didn't really know thus woman well enough to argue with her (lol) but I did let her know that if the individual lashes are applied correctly and intricately, with the right thickness and length to suit the clients natural lashes, then it shouldn't damage the lashes. People just seem to be ill informed and make wrong assumptions.

Oh I totally know what you mean! I had a client once that came to me because her lashes weren't lasting- she was an older lady and had the most fair/delicate/minuscule natural lashes iv ever seen and had been getting thick size 14s on, faaar too heavy for her own lashes
:-0 dear dear dear!! Lol :D

AGREE!!!!

The worst thing is that if an ELE virgin was to go to one of these places - and had a terrible experience, imagine how hard it would be to convert them back to having ELE applied well, professional and correct!!

I always get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when i get clients from another stylist/cowboy who looks at my lashes once they are done saying wow they feel so real and light - they can never believe the difference!

Hopefully they bring in some training regulations before someone goes blind!

I agree too, I worry constantly about all the courses now where you can do a one day course and get a certificate at the end of the day, whats that all about, they arent qualified, has the trainer even seen a full set done by these "therapists" no, because you dont get to do a full set in training urgh

Just today I had a client in for a patch test, she said she had lashes once before but they felt really heavy and gritty!!! she said there was a lump of glue in the inner corner of her lashes and she had to pull out her own lash to get rid of it because she couldnt sleep with it!!!!!!

More regulations need to be in place, dont know how its done though :sad:

I don't do lashes myself but we had a client come to us from another local salon, she'd just had lashes done and the girl had glued her top and bottom lashes together. Instead of using glue remover (which was provided to our salon in the training kit) she took scissors to them and cut her bottom lashes away!unbelievable what some people think is acceptable! I think salon suppliers should ve asking to see certificates before providing these products.

I totally agree! This is awful and needs to be stopped ASAP!

I don't offer EE but I was trained in flare/cluster lashes as part of my eye treatments course.

I do offer flare/cluster lashes and they are popular. However, I always explain the difference between the two lash treatments. I use the correct glue and give the correct after care advise. I would never misleading my clients into thinking that they are semi perm lashes. That's just wrong and messing around in the eye area could cause awful damage!

There are a lot of cowboys out there! This is not as bad as bad practise on EE but I also find that there are lots of so called spray tan therapists out there too that haven't had the relevant training!

It just winds me up because as professionals, we have worked hard and paid out lots of money for training and these cowboys risk giving us all a bad name.

A salon across the road are disastrous with spray tans. All of their ex clients they come to me comment on how dry my spray is because when they usually have a tan, it is literally running and they are told to have a 3 minute sun bed to dry off!! :o xx

Latest posts

Back