Tinting dark brows?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindeep72

Reaction score
Hi have searched this but couldn't find an answer. I have a client tonight for brow tint & wax. She is very dark haired and wondered what colour of tint to use. I'm currently using professional beauty systems from salon services & was going to change to rectofoil on Thursday (vat free day). I have never used black on brows as I think it would look to hard so thought black mixed with brown. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks x

I use black on a lot of dark haired clients and myself! It looks fine, it all depends on what colour the client wants to go. If she is unsure start with black/brown if this isnt dark enough for her apply the black.

I use black on a lot of dark haired clients and myself! It looks fine, it all depends on what colour the client wants to go. If she is unsure start with black/brown if this isnt dark enough for her apply the black.

Thank you. Away to leave now to go to clients house so thanks for the advice:) x

Black with brown or black with grey. You are right to never use just black.

I went to get my brows threaded in a really posh brow bar in Dublin.
Sat back in chair and was informed that the tint will be done first and to lie back and relax.
I hadn't asked for, nor been patch tested for tint but thought to myself, grand go ahead sure I tin them myself anyway. It was the same brand of tint I use.

That day taught why never to put black dye on my brows....never never ever..I have naturally fair hair and she tinted them black.
I looked like I had two caterpillars over my eyes. She even filled them in with some brow make up which just looked like smudgy coal marks.

Horrific.

Last edited:
I use black on it's own quite a lot too. I use black on my own brows too. Quite a few clients specifically ask for black.
I've even had a few request blue/black :eek:

I use black on it's own quite a lot too. I use black on my own brows too. Quite a few clients specifically ask for black.
I've even had a few request blue/black :eek:

Same here. Black is fine on its own if needed. I use it on mine as I have black hair. Also I too have used blue black on some clients who want a very intense black. Only a hint of blue though.

Everyone is different. I wouldn't put black on a red haired, grey haired or blonde haired client. But on someone with dark hair then it's absolutely fine. Sometimes a little brown or grey may be needed but this should all be determined when you carry out your consultation. Never say never.

You're both right. Sorry I was thinking of the current trend of solid block brows. I think black is ok if you just tint the hair and don't tint the skin also as i looks too severe, even on black haired people.

Wow...was never taught in training or have even thought about mixing tint!

When would this be appropriate and what kind of ratios would you use and for what colours? Or is it a case of trial and error with mixing?!

I have a couple of clients that have black, and one that has blue-black coz she likes that they "don't look natural"...!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I use black to tint my skin cos it stains the skin better than the others-lol
And I leave it on myself for about 30 mins :smack:

Just try them all out! You don't know till you try.
I happen to think that blondes actually look better with darker brows, even black. See what look the client wants.
Mix a bit of brown to lighten if you want. Mix a bit of grey to tone the colour down. Use a bit of red on redheads. Use some bleaching paste. The possibilities are endless.
I will attach a pic of a blonde client who has black brows with some of her skin stained. :)

Attachments

• hd brow after.jpg
    hd brow after.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 179
Thanks for all your replies. I ended up using a grey as her brow hair wasn't all that dark. She loved it and booked in for dec, her and her mum so all worked out. Had another client with light brown hair, also put grey on her as she said once she had them black and hated it. She too was very happy. I honestly have never had a client to ask for black but must admit I'd be really scared to use black on anybody, even a dark haired client lol:) xx

Latest posts

Back