Tip and overlay on bitten nails....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
Why is it that 9 times out of 10 whenever i tip and overlay a client with badly bitten nails look like smarties?

Does anyone else have problems with bitten nails coming off after a few days. This seems to be happening a lot lately, clients cancelling due to losing all their nails.

It's totally doing my head in!!

Why is it that 9 times out of 10 whenever i tip and overlay a client with badly bitten nails look like smarties?

Does anyone else have problems with bitten nails coming off after a few days. This seems to be happening a lot lately, clients cancelling due to losing all their nails.

It's totally doing my head in!!

No I don't have a problem with it and neither do you ..... the client has the problem of picking at your work and then spoiling it.

Nail biters are problem clients in more ways than one. Their nails require all your expertise to make them look good and then they go and pick them off .. they do not just come off without help. You know that. They don't loose their nails, not one or all of them ... they pick their nails off (they do conveniently loose them after they have done that as they never have them to show you!. :)

As for the nails looking like smarties ... you can't always 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'! But allot of the time you can. :green: I always use opaque powders on nail biters to elongate the look of the nail and then a very very short white free edge if they want that look or I recommend colour polish.

Nail biters do much better with colour polish on their nails. For one the colour give the nails a longer look and for two, the colour acts as a reminder not to touch or pick at their nails.

When you go natural or French with most biters, they spend their life examining their nails and picking at everything they think they can see. Another thing is they always have their nails in their mouth and 'squeeze' them or use their teeth to clean them (UGH .. but true) and they break or lift them.

For the most part nail biters re a real PITA and don't care for their own nails never mind their enhancements. Some become your best clients and are really good but mostly this kind of client is a pain that we have to put up with ... but I never believe what they tell me about their nails and I absolutely never give them a guarantee.

Biters become pickers. The nails are most likely coming off because of something the client is doing, not you. Hopefully they will grow out of it when they see their natural nail improving. (Fingers crossed)

i totally agree with gigi.
my friend is a severe nail biter (pics in album) and i use glynis' (peterpans method) and found it really suited me and that particular client anyway on average they would be ok for about a week but then they would be off.i used her to practice on and mae the mistake of not charging her anyway i did this a few times but then she wanted them done for a wedding so she was a proper client this time as she wanted them one and funnily enough this time round she had them on for nearly 5 weeks with no rebalances or anything.its funny what a little incentive can do,lol.
i wouldnt worry too much about these clients as they are obviously not dedicated in actually trying to kick there biting habits so they will never appreciate all the hard work you have done.
when you do finally manage to convert a nail biter and one day you will you will feel amazing its such an achievement and to see how happy they are with themselves its truly a lovely feeling.xx

I know what you all are saying and i do believe what is said. I have had to actually stop myself from using that term Gigi with a client!!

I am a perfectionist, i know that. It's jsut that i find that with nail biters i have to place the apex further back towards Z3 to maintain strength. this makes the nail look like a smartie!!

most of the clients that are coming into the salon are nailbiters so i really want to conquer this. One girl lost all 10 nails within a matter of 3 or 4 days. I asked the usual questions, she denied all of them and said that when she's had them done else where they stay on..:irked:

You see i am one person that doesn't like to be beaten, and it annoys me when they say this. I'd lov eto take them to get their nails done elsewhere just to see if she is right...:eek:

I'd even thought about taking a class using a nailbiter as my model just to check that i am doing all i can...It does my head in.

I know what you all are saying and i do believe what is said. I have had to actually stop myself from using that term Gigi with a client!!

I am a perfectionist, i know that. It's jsut that i find that with nail biters i have to place the apex further back towards Z3 to maintain strength. this makes the nail look like a smartie!!

most of the clients that are coming into the salon are nailbiters so i really want to conquer this. One girl lost all 10 nails within a matter of 3 or 4 days. I asked the usual questions, she denied all of them and said that when she's had them done else where they stay on..:irked:

You see i am one person that doesn't like to be beaten, and it annoys me when they say this. I'd lov eto take them to get their nails done elsewhere just to see if she is right...:eek:

I'd even thought about taking a class using a nailbiter as my model just to check that i am doing all i can...It does my head in.

I do not agree. I don't move my apex for any different nail as my apex is down the middle of the nail like a back bone and gives the perfect strength and c curve to ANY shape.

I'm going to have to teach everyone about that ... :lol: Really it solves all your problems .. no more 'smarties' ever and almost unbreakable strength.

Even when there is no more that 5mm of nail plate??

I do understand yiur theory of the apex being the backbone of the nail and my apex placement was always the same regardless. But i was getting this problem with nailbiters so i thought maybe the apex needed to be further back. I lengthed the nail with opaque and then a little slither of white free edge.

so the nail tip adhered to the nail is actually bordering on z2-z3. Is this not a weak point? I try to place my apex over this which makes it further back than normal.

Last edited:
Even when there is no more that 5mm of nail plate??

I do understand yiur theory of the apex being the backbone of the nail and my apex placement was always the same regardless. But i was getting this problem with nailbiters so i thought maybe the apex needed to be further back. I lengthed the nail with opaque and then a little slither of white free edge.

so the nail tip adhered to the nail is actually bordering on z2-z3. Is this not a weak point? I try to place my apex over this which makes it further back than normal.

It's not a weak point once you lay the backbone of the nail down the centre, no. I promise! Even if you make the nail long (which would be silly). But if there is only 5mm of nail plate, then I'm sure you are not doing that.

Thanks everyone for their replies, A little reasurance does go a long way.
:hug:
now you are on-line Gigi, do you know if S2 are still doing the Creative window sticker? The one with the large "C". I noticed it's not inthe catalogue.

It's ok i'll give them a ring and see what they have,x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back