Tip sizing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmberlei

Reaction score
Hi all

Just getting back to the roots on nail enhancements. How were you taught to size the tips to your clients? I've seen lots of different ways of people making sure that the smile line on the tip (whether semi contact or full well) fits from one side to the other and other just picking any size and attempting to ajust to your finger.

Do you remember how you were taught, what you have seen and how should you size tips????

Basically what you said is how I size tips, from side to side. The only other consideration to make is if you want 1/2 well or full well. I used to use full well and switched to 1/2 well and have had no problems. If for some reason I'm out of a size (which doesn't happen often), I will take the next size up and file the sides down accordingly. I basically lay the tip at an upward angle onto their nail, slide it forward til the well fits snug up to their nail and lay it flat down. Then look from side to side to check fit. I've never seen any other way to do it.

I teach but also always myself size a tip in THREE ways.

Side wall to side wall fit.

Free edge shaped to fit perfectly the well of the chosen tip (if it has one)

And finally c-curve fit of the tip to the natural c-curve of the natural nail.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back