Tips for reducing timings on infills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole.B

Reaction score
I seem to take the same time doing infills/rebalance as I do a full set, although infills are cheaper. Gone through my routine in nailclass but can't seem to get my speed up. Usually takes me 1.1/2 to 1.3/4 hours for full set depending on tips or sculpt, but takes me well over 1.1/2 for infills. This also applies to both 2 or 3 week infills.

What timings should I aim for on infills or any tips please for reducing my timings..xx

The best advice I was ever given about reducing your times was to tape yourself, then you can watch and see where your spending the time. This isn't always plausible so try timing yourself on every single step. Set up a stop watch and time literally every step (pushing back cuticles and removing debris would be one, take down length, do a once over with the file, ect) And see where you're spending the most time. Hth hun!

By the way, are you using an E-file? I don't and have had to compensate by getting really quick with my handfiling, but an e-file seems to really speed up people's times. I still take anywhere from just under an hour to an hour and a half depending on the damage/nail art/embedding.

The best advice I was ever given about reducing your times was to tape yourself, then you can watch and see where your spending the time. This isn't always plausible so try timing yourself on every single step. Set up a stop watch and time literally every step (pushing back cuticles and removing debris would be one, take down length, do a once over with the file, ect) And see where you're spending the most time. Hth hun!
Hi, thank you for your reply, good idea about timing.

By the way, are you using an E-file? I don't and have had to compensate by getting really quick with my handfiling, but an e-file seems to really speed up people's times. I still take anywhere from just under an hour to an hour and a half depending on the damage/nail art/embedding.
No I don't use a e-file, I start reducing my bulk with a 100 grit than go up in grit to 180grit finishing around zone 3 with 240grit.

Are you building your product too much. The main reasons for infills taking too long is too much product or too much lifting.

I started using an e file last year and use it for taking off topcoat and rebalancing, I never use it to remove any lifting or on the natural nail. I have found this has reduced the time down considerably. You will need training for this but it pays for itself in no time! :)

The bit about adding too much product is perfect, I found that I definetely did that! I love to hand file to prep, I find an untrained hand using an efile on this can cause more lifting. But an e-file is fantastic for taking down the length, and taking out extra product for P&W (plus if your not so comfortable with the e-file, just practicing on the tip area can be safer because atleast it's not over the natural nail. The thing I forgot, that helped me greatly, was really, really starting to look at all angles of the nail before applying, while applying and after applying, but specifically the first two as far as speeding up your time. Look closely at the sides to check the cuticle thickness and C-curve. Look down the barrel for unevenness at the sidewalls and overall nail thickness. Make sure to bevel the underside of the nail, that can really help with the thickness, while keeping the enhancement strong. Keep practicing, you WILL get faster if you focus on finding out what takes you time and actively trying to get faster at it, I promise!!

Here is some good advice from Fiftrix....

Originally Posted by fifitrix
Ok breathe hun.

When you started filing, where did you start?

My bottom dollar is on zone 3! No, if you if you look at the nail as a whole and straight away file off problem areas, you would be as well soak off.

Ok, deep breath and lets look at the nail, the length needs reduced, zone 1 thinned and zone 3 replaced.

Look at any lifting and take a mental note to ask about how they have coped, if you see anything that could be down to you take it on the chin, just repair it.

Ok we have looked, assessed and now we rebalance.

Start always at zone 1 thin the white right down, pretty much leave zone 2 alone and then zone 3. If you see any lifting DO NOT file on top of it, this is when you chase the line which leads you A; more time and B: unnecessary work.

Take your file and holding it flat file BELOW the lifting in clean(gentle, as the product has lifted anyway) swipes, do that for a few swipes and it will pop off. Sounds mad but it does.

Then prep, replace your white and zone 3 and there you go.

I think a lot of techs stress too much about this but it is painless, I know because I WAS one of them, not now.

hths

Here is some good advice from Fiftrix....

Originally Posted by fifitrix
Ok breathe hun.

When you started filing, where did you start?

My bottom dollar is on zone 3! No, if you if you look at the nail as a whole and straight away file off problem areas, you would be as well soak off.

Ok, deep breath and lets look at the nail, the length needs reduced, zone 1 thinned and zone 3 replaced.

Look at any lifting and take a mental note to ask about how they have coped, if you see anything that could be down to you take it on the chin, just repair it.

Ok we have looked, assessed and now we rebalance.

Start always at zone 1 thin the white right down, pretty much leave zone 2 alone and then zone 3. If you see any lifting DO NOT file on top of it, this is when you chase the line which leads you A; more time and B: unnecessary work.

Take your file and holding it flat file BELOW the lifting in clean(gentle, as the product has lifted anyway) swipes, do that for a few swipes and it will pop off. Sounds mad but it does.

Then prep, replace your white and zone 3 and there you go.

I think a lot of techs stress too much about this but it is painless, I know because I WAS one of them, not now.

hths

Hi Cathie,

I think after reading this I am taking zone 2 down to much when I shouldn't be, I start at zone one reducing length and thin the white, go on to zone 2 but this I know is my problem, than do exactly as described in zone 3. Thank you for pointing this out to me..xx

Hi Cathie,

I think after reading this I am taking zone 2 down to much when I shouldn't be, I start at zone one reducing length and thin the white, go on to zone 2 but this I know is my problem, than do exactly as described in zone 3. Thank you for pointing this out to me..xx

Do you use a file to reduce the length?... much quicker to use a small clippers to take down the length, it saves so much time

HTH :hug:

Do you use a file to reduce the length?... much quicker to use a small clippers to take down the length, it saves so much time

HTH :hug:

Hi Karen, I use clippers if I have a lot of length to reduce..xx

Awh.. I was hoping that would take a few mins off your time for you LOL

I have to say, I'm the same when it comes to a rebalance.. it takes me as long as it would a full set :cry:

I can't understand how anyone can do them in 30 to 40 mins... a refill yes, but not a rebalance.

Awh.. I was hoping that would take a few mins off your time for you LOL

I have to say, I'm the same when it comes to a rebalance.. it takes me as long as it would a full set :cry:

I can't understand how anyone can do them in 30 to 40 mins... a refill yes, but not a rebalance.

If its french I always look at it as a rebalance, never have just infills:lol:.

If its french I always look at it as a rebalance, never have just infills:lol:.

Me too... I never do infills, it's always french, so it's always rebalance and I wish I was quicker at doing them too

Latest posts

Back