To Buff or not to Buff that is the question???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatesam

Reaction score
Hi before i do my first paying customer tomorrow (aaarrrggghhhh im sooo scared lol) i just want to make sure that what im planning to do is exactly right...
Im going to be using IBD soak off gel. But she wants a colour gel polish too.
If i should change anything can i have your pointers please...
Thank you

Cleanse mine and clients hands, do a dry manicure to remove cuticle etc from nail plate and lightly etch to remove shine and wipe off dust.
Apply bonder sparingly, dabbing off excess. Cure 1 min.
Apply Soak Off Builder Gel, capping free edge and avoiding skin. Cure 3 mins.

Now because its a soak off gel im unsure whether i need to :
1. Remove sticky residue and buff. or
2. Leave sticky residue on and just continue.

Then i apply a thin coat gel polish and cure 1 min.
Apply 2nd coat and cure 3 mins.

Now we back at the shall i remove sticky residue and buff or not and just continue with next step again....

Finally apply thin coat of Clear Gel capping free edge and curing for 1 min.
Then remove residue wash hands and apply cuticle oil.....

Im really fretting now and dont want to make a mess of it tomorrow so all opinions on my steps and thoughts on the removing sticky residue section would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you all in advance

A Very Very Scared Samantha

Cleanse mine and clients hands, do a dry manicure to remove cuticle etc from nail plate and lightly etch to remove shine and wipe off dust.
Apply bonder sparingly, dabbing off excess. Cure 1 min.
Apply Soak Off Builder Gel, capping free edge and avoiding skin. Cure 3 mins.

Now because its a soak off gel im unsure whether i need to :
1. Remove sticky residue and buff. or
2. Leave sticky residue on and just continue.

If your gel application is 100% perfect you can go right ahead with colour.....if not then wipe and buff smooth to perfect the nail...(this is what I do cos to be honest it would be rare for a builder gel application to be 100 perfect)

Then i apply a thin coat gel polish and cure 1 min.
Apply 2nd coat and cure 3 mins.

Now we back at the shall i remove sticky residue and buff or not and just continue with next step again....

I wouldn't buff colour gel...if you have already done your buffing and perfecting as mentioned in red above then there is no need to do it again....builder gel often doesn't self level (hence the reason for buffing after use) but colour gel often does...so there shouldn't bee any need after applying.

Finally apply thin coat of Clear Gel (are you sure this is clear gel and not gloss gel...?) capping free edge and curing for 1 min.
Then remove residue wash hands and apply cuticle oil.....

Im really fretting now and dont want to make a mess of it tomorrow so all opinions on my steps and thoughts on the removing sticky residue section would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you all in advance

A Very Very Scared Samantha

Best of luck...just relax...appear confident and you will be fine.

The very fisr time i used a coloured gel, i made the mistake of wiping the sticky layer before the final clear/sealer gel, which resulted in wiping and smudging the colour!!!!!:mad:

As Angie said, perfect the naikl before the colour, cure colour and straight ontop sealer/clear gel, cure, then wipe and oil.

hth's

Thank you both very much...
Just gotta remember everything in the right order now lol and not get in too much of a panic....:irked:

Hiya I use IBD Gel and I perfect the nail before the color and haven't had a problem, enjoy, I love the IBD Colors so nice and easy to apply :)

Just make sure that after you buff to shape/perfect the surface is free from all dust and oils....then a thin layer of colour...cure...2nd layer of colour....cure...clear/topgloss....cure....wipe and done.

Latest posts

Back