Toenail has gone thick?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
I know the title is a bit odd, but I was chnging my varnish and noticed a funny white mark on my toenail and looked again and it is quite thick? (the nail itself) I hadnt noticed this before. I started at the gym a few motnhs ago and my trainers were a bit uncomfortable to start with, do you think I have suffered a trauma so to speak to the nailbed and this is why it is like it is ?
Sorry its hard to explain but does anyone have any thoughts? There is no infection as the nails is still a good colour although I did notice there is a ridge at the start of the nail too.

Hi, I have a similar problem and I am sure it is due to the nail rubbing against shoes that are too tight. My second toe is longer than my first and constantly rubs against my shoe hence the nail has thickened quite a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anna

Can you have a look under the actual nail plate? If so, does it have a yellowy look to it, with possible crumbling /dryness of the nail bed?

toenail1a-785432.jpg

I found that searching google. Images

Last edited:
It looks very much like another nail growning underneath the top one

looks like it lifted and is growing from the broken smile line, there is a scientific name for it onxycylosis, lifting from nail bed due to pressure or what ever, best way is cut it back to the line its on then it will grow out back then the line be right again, need be cut right back tho.
My sister lost most her toes after 80km run, i had sort out by doing that.
also buy new shoes, bad trainers ruin your feet - you worth much more then rubbish trainers.

The mark on the nail is weird its like a "v" shape but it is way down on the nailbed like 3/4 from the top and the ridge is growing out from the base. Damage from my trainers ? They are very expensive ones but didnt feel that comfy for the first few wears. Should I file the nail down? So it is less thick or hope it grows out??
Id take a picture but you prob not be able to tell its thicker, and I personally hate toenails and wouldnt want to put anyone off their lunch/dinner/tea!

Last edited:
is it on both toenails?

is it on both toenails?

nope only on 1, and my toes do slightly stick up..unfortunately inherited from my mum so in certain shoes I have to make sure the leather is soft otherwise they hurt.

my toenails stick up also. about this time last yr, i had that happen due to some of my work shoes. i ignored it and my big toenail and the one beside it turned black and fell off. they grew back with an even higher arch but the thickness had gone away. my podiatrist said it was common in runners due to ill-fitting shoes and that most didnt even have toenails from it *gross*

Latest posts

Back