Tongue Piercings????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandz

Reaction score
Hiya!!!

Just wandering what everyone thought of tounge piercings???

If anyone's got it done, can they remember having it done and did it hurt?? lol any experiences would be good!

I'm tempted to get it done, but, I'm scared!!!!

thanks everyone!!!!

xxxxx

Hi,

I've got my belly button pierced, but have watched them pierce tongues before.

Have to admit, it looks bloody awful and it does bleed quite a bit afterwards. The put a really long bar in as the tongue swells a lot. After the swelling has gone down, they then put in a shorter bar.

The also need to be really careful in order not to pierce the vein that runs underneath the tongue. I've heard of people who did it wrong and almost bled to death !

Do like the look of them though, but wouldn't have the guts to do it myself.

River

I had mine done about 7 years ago and no it didn't hurt at all, the actual piercing that is, what did hurt was the fact that they clamped my tongue and pulled it out of my mouth so far and the noise it made when it went through was ewww yuk! I thought I was bleeding to death as I could feel it running down my chin, but in reality all I was doing was dribbling like a baby.
I kept it for 48 hours by which time I could not fit my so overgrown swollen tongue back in my mouth I had to take it out.
Don't let this put you off though as my best friend had it done and she had no problems with it at all.
HTH

Hey have had mine done nearly two years and I love it! My tongue swelled up for a couple of days after, but the worst part was not being able to eat properly for a while. They froze my tongue so it didn't hurt at all. Had my belly button pierced but it gave nothing but bother, was always catching it on stuff!

I have never had my tongue done looks like it would be really painful....also had a friend that did and she just kept chipping her teeth with it .....I do have my belly done ...nipples too ! :eek: and no....it didn't hurt it was just a sharp pinch....

I have both my tongue and belly button done. The tongue did not hurt at all but the belly button did. The belly button also requires cleaning daily for weeks/months afterwards. It can also have lots of complications and can just grow out!
The tongue however is a doddle. You can't feel it because you are numb. Nor can you watch them doing it, so then you lose half the fear factor. I got my done about 6.30 in the evening so I just went home to bed and when i got up the next morning I was able to eat breakfast fine. I'd reccomend this as alot of people get pierced in the morning and spend the day then starving and not able to speak properly due to the swelling.
Be sure and buy a good antiseptic mouthwash - I'd reccomend Oral B. And stock up on ice. Make sure your piercer is spotless and gives you decent aftercare. ( you need to go back after 2 weeks to change the barbell to a smaller one once the swelling goes down) Oh and of course make sure the barbell is surgical steel.
Go for it - sure if you don't like it you can take it out and it'll heal in no time.

Hi hun,i had it done and it went horribly wrong.It had to be take out by the hospital and i now have a massive lump underneath it x

i've heard they can break your teeth. lots of dentists advise against it.

had my belly button done. no problems at all but had some really good advice... don't mess with it unless you've been soaking in the bath. some people are under the impression that you should keep turning the peircing to keep it moving. this is bad advice, because by turning it you pull dirt and scab inside the wound, causing infection. you should leave it alone unless you have been soaking in the bath for 20 mins, and then turn it. on the couple of occasions mine did go a bit red, i lay on my bed and poured surgical spirit on it (stings like mad for 10 secs!) and then the redness would go away and it would be fine.

as for eye brow piercings... i've heard it can go through a nerve and paralyse your face!

Hi,
I had my tongue pieced 7 years ago it did hurt when it was done but did not bleed at all.I had a plastic bar put in so that even when a little bit of swelling went down i went back and he snipped a bit of length off.I never had a problem at all with it after that.
I took it out 2 years ago as it did chip my lower front teeth and as i was having alot of dentistry work done i didnt want to risk ruining my teeth again
from julie

i got my tongue pierced about 6 years ago and it didnt hurt all i felt was a bit of pressure as the tongue is quite thick so the bar has quite a bit of flesh to go through.......my tongue didnt bleed either.

i had quite a bit of swelling for around a week and i spoke funny for a while untill i got used to it.......i had to take it out when i had an emergency section last year and i was too ill to put it back in again afterwards so it just closed up

i also have quite a few chipped teeth

stanleyann

Thanks guys!!

There's so many pro's and con's to getting it done.

I've thought about it before, but never plucked up the courage, I think I will go and talk to the piercing shop.

I had problems with my belly button, I was allergic to the surgical steel so had to get it changed to a titanium bar, which was quite painful. then it grew out, and I had it done again about 5-6 years ago and it's been fine ever since!! yay!

I get scared just thinking bout my getting my tongue done!! lol

xxxxx

Oops,i forgot to say it chipped my teeth too !

I've got mine pierced and had it done nearly 8 years ago. Since then I've had it repierced 3 times....

1st - initial piercing - she numbed it.

2nd - because it fell out and closed up within a matter of mins - so she rejabbed it. Very painful no numbing

3rd - before I had my second son I decided it was time I grew up so I removed it - It was fully closed within 2 mins..... within a week I missed it in my mouth that I had it repierced but this time I went to a guy and he never numbed it and no pain whatsoever.....

they also tell you to slurp soup for at least 2 weeks well lets put it this way I was eating lasagne and chips within 5 hours.... and take lots of ibrobrupen....

I had mine pierced 8 yrs ago too. My sister wanted hers done and as usual she asked me to go first while she plucked up the courage.

I had just had a burger king 10 min before so apologised to the guy he said i was better of doing that so i would not be too hungry later and maybe ok by the next day.
He numbed my tongue so didn't hurt at the time but was sore the next couple of days and i talked with a lisp for a while, I used Ambersol liquid which numbed it a bit and Bonjella.

After the swelling went down i never had a bit of trouble until 3 yr ago when i was brushing my teeth at the sink and insted of using a beaker to rinse i bent over the tap to take a drink of water(i know, i know) and caught my little flower shaped tongue bar in the criss cross thing in the tap.
I paniced and just pulled it out i ripped my tongue and fainted with shock, it bled like mad and i went into shock couldn't talk or didn't dare as i could feel as if it where ripping all the time, never went to hospital till i went back to work on the monday worked at Hospital(done it on the sunday).

After a good telling off from one of the doctors he said i had been very lucky as the tear underneath my tongue was about 2 millimetre away from that big vain if it had been any nearer he would be saving my life (subtle or what).

I must say i am usually very good at shock and emergencys but this frightened me as i didn't know what to do with this kind of injury!

Dont mean to frighten you, dont get me wrong i loved my piercing, this was just my experience be careful with your piercings.

Christi

PS For got say one of the best mouth washes is sterile salt water it seemed to heal the wound quicker for me!

i had it done and yes it hurt, it was also very swollen for about 2 weeks and then after 18 months i took it out as i was fed up with geting thrush of the mouth due to the tounge bar reacting with my tooth filling
but i also know people who have had no problems
hth

my brother and his girlfriend had theirs done the other day and they said it never hurt at all the only thing they were bothered about was the fact that they wernt allowed to drink for 7 days. Spoke to them today and they said that it hurts abit now, and thats 3 days ago. My personal opinion is - i would never get it done, i have been told that if you ever wanted to take it out that you will have a hole in your tongue for the rest of your life cos your tongue never heals? can someone elaborate on that for me please......

angelis said:
i would never get it done, i have been told that if you ever wanted to take it out that you will have a hole in your tongue for the rest of your life cos your tongue never heals? can someone elaborate on that for me please......

Don't know who has told you this but please excuse this but it's absolute rubbish about you having a permanant hole, your tongue is the quickest place to heal. Trust me I know.... Mine closed up twice within 2 minutes.+

sounds very very painful to me... would never ever do it... my hubby bad his nose pierced, he said it wasnt painful at all

Latest posts

Back