Too much protein

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose14

Reaction score
My hair is naturally dark brown but I was having it bleached and it ended up really damaged so I was using matrix repair and osmo deep repair mask and argan or macadamia oil to get it healthy again.

but my hair started snapping so I started alternating uniq 1 shampoo and all in one hair treatment and IQ repair pack with what I was already using but now the snapping is worse and ive been told ive used too much protein on my hair and it has no elasticity.

How do I know if a shampoo/conditioner contains protein? It looks like they all do.

I have some Aussie colour mate (I know its OTC but things are tight with Xmas round the corner) will this do until I can buy something better?

I'm really stressing about this as im getting married in 6 months and really dont want to cut my hair off.

Thanks
Sarah xxx

Protein won't make your hair snap off. Too much protein coupled with too little moisture will make coloured hair feel hard, but not break. OTC products really won't help. Better to invest in a decent range such as Kerastase, Redken or Pureology.

Thanks persianista. The hairdressers I spoke to said its gone brittle as ive made it too strong. So this isn't the case then? I usually only use professional products but this months tight plus my oh may have a fit as it will mean i have 4 different bottles of shampoo and 6 conditioners. I can get wella or Sebastian in work. but I went through the ingrediants and the stylist couldn't tell which had no protein. Apparently I need moisture to counteract this. I'll talk to a more senior stylist when its quieter tuesday they'll probably know more about the products.

It's not just snapping on its own its when I brush it and if I get a strand of hair and try stretch it it literally snaps straight away. The ends are quite tatty even though its not long been cut but other than that it looks healthy. There's no obvious areas of snapping but when I wash or brush my hair im finding an awful lot coming out even the stylist who washed my hair commented how shocked she was but I don't have any bald patches (i do lose hair when stressed) so I assume it must be snapped hair.

I'm just having a right flap as I've just started planning my wedding and I have visions of me getting married with a bowl head because its all snapped lol xxx

If it was too strong, it wouldn't break now would it? It's weak through over bleaching.

Well I wouldn't know im not hairdresser I'm just quoting what ive been told. But I assume it would be the same as nails when you use too much nail strengthner on them and the become too hard which in turn makes them brittle and prone to snapping.

My hair hasn't been bleached in a year so why would it just start snapping
xxx

Go online either on beautybay.com or Asos.com and buy a 'tangle teaster' it will help with aloe of the snapping
If you have thick enough hair redken real control is ultra moisturising but it does contain protein and if you have fine hair it could feel oily.
Any shampoo that's good for extensions doesn't contain protein if that helps narrow your list

hi rac_hel

thank you for your reply i've got a tangle teaser and ive found it helps a lot. i used to use nexxus hair moisturiser when i had damage in the past so i may buy more of this. the salon i work in have even stopped selling morrocan/argan oil as they found it contained too much protein and was causing breakage. whether this is true or not i don't know as i know beauty not hair. if this info is wrong then that gives me more options xxx

Mixed reactions, although oil can make it soft, it won't strengthen the hair so the hair will still be brittle. It is possible to over load the hair with protein but very rare that it snaps off, it would usually feel quite tough, and a funny texture. Have you tried Phillip Kingsley elasticizer? It's a reconstructor and goes into lower levels of hair, they sell it in a small sachet for you to try. Also, follow with Paul Mitchell super strong shampoo and conditioner, the shampoo is full of proteins and the conditioner is full of moisture so is designed to balance the hair.

Latest posts

Back