Tooth whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
I have just been on the telephone with one of the researchers from BBC Radio 4's You and Yours.
I emailed them recently about the fact that tooth whitening companies are allowed to exhibit at beauty trade shows when it's illegal for beauty therapists to carry this out. They have decided that this is something they want to do a piece about, and have asked me to record an interview with its presenter Winifred Robinson, next week.
They have asked me if I know of anyone who has been successfully prosecuted for using (amongst others) Megawhite's system, because they'd like to talk to them too.
Of course there is no guarantee that this will make it to air, but the more people who come forward, the more likely it is.
If you, or anyone you know has been affected by this do feel free to let me know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9

Well done on raising awareness of this scandalous loophole.

I completely agree with you and find it morally reprehensible that the big hair & beauty trade shows make a profit from the tooth whitening training companies allowed to prey on unsuspecting salon owners.

I'd also like to see Habia doing more to protect members of our industry from suffering the consequences that the threat of criminal prosecution inevitably brings.

I've heard endlessly people moaning about it but very few actually do anything about it.
I've been warned off making a fuss about this, saying that I will make enemies by pushing the issue.
I'm not bothered by that at all. I care about protecting the public from being treated illegally.
I care about raising awareness of this in the industry.
So many therapists are seduced by the likes of Ultrasmile, Pearlys, Lovelite and Megawhite, and readily believe them when they're assured that it's all legal. If these companies weren't at the shows then their audience is much reduced, and therefore far fewer therapists would run the risk of a huge fine, or, even worse, injuring a client.
I've been saying for years to not believe the hype. I genuinely don't understand why people don't do their research first.

I would completely agree with you Lynne. I also think it is wrong for them to exhibit at a professional beauty show when beauty therapist are not allowed to legally offer the service. I also disagree with MLM companies being at a show for professional therapist but thats another can of worms to open..

I have just been on the telephone with one of the researchers from BBC Radio 4's You and Yours.
I emailed them recently about the fact that tooth whitening companies are allowed to exhibit at beauty trade shows when it's illegal for beauty therapists to carry this out. They have decided that this is something they want to do a piece about, and have asked me to record an interview with its presenter Winifred Robinson, next week.
They have asked me if I know of anyone who has been successfully prosecuted for using (amongst others) Megawhite's system, because they'd like to talk to them too.
Of course there is no guarantee that this will make it to air, but the more people who come forward, the more likely it is.
If you, or anyone you know has been affected by this do feel free to let me know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9
Sadly in September last year I was prosecuted for illegal Teeth Whitening in my salon. I was trained a company who I met at Professional Beauty trade show. I believed that this was a service I could provide in my salon legally and followed the guidelines from this company who I had complete faith in. I feel I was completely misled by this company which led to my shameful prosecution. I am now currently taking them to small claims court in an effort to recover my costs however I will always have to live with a criminal record, I guess that will teach me for being naive. I am now searching to find anyone else who has been trained by this company who is facing prosecution or at worst has been prosecuted for illegal teeth whitening who would be happy to share their story with me as this would help a great deal. Any stories relating to this company or their training may help so please get in touch if you have any information. We need to stop these companies trading and misleading beauticians into a false sense of security which is setting them up to break the law face prosecution and damage healthy businesses reputations. Regards Victoria

[posts merged & names removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back