Top Ten (or 20) "Lies" that techs use to gain clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I had a thought... and I want to put together a list...

What are the top 10 (or 20?) lies that techs might use to gain clients, or to urge them to use a certain product or service.
This is not about myhs such as 'drink milk to make the white spots go away" that our mother's told us. It's more about unconscientious AND/OR untrained techs misleading the consumers.

I'd love your help with this.
Add the 'Lie" to the list and the explanation of why it's a lie.

Example:
1. The enhancements must be soaked off every X-number of weeks so that they can breathe and a new set applied.
Why: Nails do not have lungs and therefor do not breathe. This is done because of either 1 or all of the following
1) The tech wants the earnings from the removal and the new set which is more than the cost of a rebalance.
2) The tech's skills are lacking and by that certain time, the enhancements are looking poorly with fill lines showing, or a smile line grown out, or the product has yellowed... etc
Why Not: If the enhancements are properly maintained by a qualified technician, they will not show fill lines, nor yellowing, and a rebalance can be done to correct the smile line.

2. XYZ product contains Calcium to strengthen your nails.
Why: Nails are made of proteins, amino acids and keratin and do not contain NOR do they need calcium. They are not bones. No product can change the actual condition of the natural nail. The condition of the natural nails is determined by A) genetics B) health C) Lifestyle and external factors such as overexposure to water and chemicals. The tech is telling you this because he/she wants to promote their product in any fashion that they can to gain your custom.
Why Not: such as with hair, once the nail is grown out, it is 'dead' for all intents and purposes. You can not repair split ends in your hair, you can only cut them off. That would be like breaking a branch off of a tree, and trying to stick it back on again, and make it grow. Impossible. Same principle.
HOWEVER, you can hydrate them if the are over-dry, to avoid chipping/peeling/cracking. You can apply an overlay to protect them.

Get my idea?
Thanks for any and all input
:hug:

Last edited:
3. Gels are better,because they're thinner and they don't damage your nails like acrylic.

Why : The tech only offers gel, and/or has been mislead by their education to believe this to be true.
Why not: Any enhancement system, applied properly can be thin and natural looking. The damage to your natural nails is caused by improper preparation of the natural nail or improper (careless) removal of existing product. This can happen with any system.

I like this idea, are you making a hand-out for clients?

Last edited:
oooooooooo good one Victoria. Me likey!
Lie
No I dont offer L&P I only do Gel as its better for your nails, doesnt cause as much damage.
WHY: Either the tech in question isn't trained in L&P. Or they only offer gel as they feel that they can charge more for gel than L&P.
WHY NOT:
We all know that Gel and L&P are the same products at the end of the day, products dont cause damage its the nail techs over zealous use of files that cause the damage.

Sorry im a bit rubbish at wording things but you get the gist of what I mean
:hug:
Great thread hun
Jen xxxx

OOOO Jessie you beat me to it lol.
Great minds and all that :lol:
Jen xx

Thanks Jesse!

I'm thinking on ideas for an article in our local paper. Actually, thinking on a series of articles.
I won't be linking my business name to it because I want it to be seriously considered, as opposed to people thinking I have sour grapes with local 'competition' :rolleyes:
Whether or not the paper will print it.... remains to be seen. Worst case scenario, I've created informative articles for my site/business.

Looking forward to any and all input
:green:

OOOO Jessie you beat me to it lol.
Great minds and all that :lol:
Jen xx

That's funny. Clearly this is a global epidemic:lol:

4. I don't use tips. They have to chop your nails down and the glue they use destroys your nails.

Why : Sculpting Snob. Think sculpting makes them better than those NSS!

Why not : Tips and forms both have their place. It depends on the type of natural nail you're working on. A good tech is competent in both methods. If you're better suited to tips, your natural nail is generally already short, so what are we chopping?

This one may not work for the general public. Unless they have nails already, they won't understand it. But I hear it alot.

Last edited:
Go to Nail Salon Client Handouts - Nails Magazine there are great handouts called "Nail Myths to Stop Believing" and one called "Diamond Nails?, Crystal Nails? What are you really getting?" There are also some handouts on safety in the salon, how to know (for the customer) if a salon is safe, and at home up keep for natural and enhancement clients. :)

woops that didn't work! You go to nailsmag.com then click resources and on the list there is handouts.

Lol My friend Harry has been complaining that her nails keep splitting/peeling and I keep on asking so have you used the nail oil I gave you, which she always replys no to!

Today she has been told by a friend that her nails are peeling because she files them an almond shape and not square.............................................

I finally stopped laughing !

Lol My friend Harry has been complaining that her nails keep splitting/peeling and I keep on asking so have you used the nail oil I gave you, which she always replys no to!

Today she has been told by a friend that her nails are peeling because she files them an almond shape and not square.............................................

I finally stopped laughing !

LOL

Keep'em coming.
I know a bunch, but I'm hoping someone comes up with something I haven't thought of.

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back