Touring Scotland, best midge repellent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm researching for my vacation to scotland (in 2 years from now :() and i wanted to know the best midge repellent? i've looked online and many people suggest avon skin so soft cream, does this actually work?

Also any MUST do's would be awesome! we're doing a driving tour from the border to orkney, 14 days about, this is my dream trip so don't want to miss out on anything

Avon skin so soft spray. I use it on my horse too!

Jungle formula ( the strong one)
You need to look for deet in the product the midges hate this, ( watched a fab programme on it a few months back)

The higher the deet the better the protection.

I swear by jungle / it's more expensive but it does the job.

I use every year when I go to turkey, I also went ranching to Oklahoma and was on quite a swampy ranch, with loads of mossies. I used this all the time and I only got bitten once on the head where I hadn't applied it whereas my family were covered in bites, I had none and mossies love me.

The head wrangler told me about deet and u need to look for one with near on 50% - he knew his stuff so get the jungle formula.

It's strong but when you spray on skin it gives u a lovely sheen especially on tanned skin.

Avon skin so soft spray is the only thing I know of that works but the midges arnt as bad as you'd think so don't stress,

What month are you coming?

Avon skin so soft spray is the only thing I know of that works but the midges arnt as bad as you'd think so don't stress,

What month are you coming?

We're planning for July :)

What are you interested in seeing?

Some places I'd suggest il think of more

Glasgow
Edinburgh
Loch Lomond
Glencoe (ski centre go up chair lift views are amazing)
Ben Nevis (same as above)
Robert burns museum

Hey everyone,

I'm researching for my vacation to scotland (in 2 years from now :() and i wanted to know the best midge repellent? i've looked online and many people suggest avon skin so soft cream, does this actually work?

Also any MUST do's would be awesome! we're doing a driving tour from the border to orkney, 14 days about, this is my dream trip so don't want to miss out on anything

We did some of Scotland last year in our caravan in August. It took two weeks. From Hampshire we went to Chester - Moffat - Loch Ness - Luss - Edinburgh - Kielder - Whitby - Bourneville - Hampshire. Only place we had problem with midgies was Kielder. The drive around the lochs was great but driving through the Highlands was magnificent. We definitely want to go back and explore further North. X

Definitely visit the trosachs (loch lomond area!) as it is truly breathtaking. I have lived about 45 mins drive from there all my life and it is still my go to place for natural beauty and rest!! Do a champagne cruise of Loch Lomond it's awesome! Loads of history and some nice bubbles to drink followed by dinner at Cameron house hotel :) total scottish luxury! xxx

I'm another fan of Avon but I've found neat Lavender Oil just as effective.

Scotland is incredible. Annually we'll go out to Arisaig.

Ardnamurchan is a must. If you do manage to get there, try get to Sanna Bay. It's the most westerly point of Scotland with the most spectacular scenery all around.

Skye is great too, Lochinver also lovely. Fort Augustas is also perfect if your heading for Nessie and Inverness.

Oh you'll have a lovely time. Hope the weathers good for you.

P x

The Isle of Skye - Our Trailer - YouTube

Skye as shown in the video is a must.

As to midgies I always remember the man who cycled round the world. He was robbed at gunpoint, mugged at knifepoint, caught up in a earthquake, volcano explosion and a military coup during his travels but just kept on going. Reached Scotland then chucked it and got the train out due to midgies. :lol::lol:

The Isle of Skye - Our Trailer - YouTube

Skye as shown in the video is a must.

As to midgies I always remember the man who cycled round the world. He was robbed at gunpoint, mugged at knifepoint, caught up in a earthquake, volcano explosion and a military coup during his travels but just kept on going. Reached Scotland then chucked it and got the train out due to midgies. :lol::lol:

Thanks! Skye is on the itinerary already, it was my must have :)

I'm VERY excited even though the trip is far from now. this is my DREAM trip. i'm obsessed with Scotland :p I'm hoping to meet some Scottish geeks as i will need nails and feet done when i'm there.

Im from scotland and so hapoy to hear of all the lovely comments...make sure uou have a night out in glasgow and head for sauchiehall street its madness. Totally different from nights out in edinburgh. Also make sure when you are here you try traditional haggis, neeps and tatties.
Maybe even a fried mars bar if your adventurous lol loch lomond is brilliant very peaceful and hill walking is fab up the campsies.

Troon and ayr are lovely beaches too in July, arran is lovely and remote and so is Rothesay or also known as isle of bute.

There is also a little area only half hour drive from ayr (ill try find out what it is called) a friend of the family owns a retaurant and hotel there where you will get fresh seafood and can be taken out fishing too. Have fun.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im from scotland and so hapoy to hear of all the lovely comments...make sure uou have a night out in glasgow and head for sauchiehall street its madness. Totally different from nights out in edinburgh. Also make sure when you are here you try traditional haggis, neeps and tatties.
Maybe even a fried mars bar if your adventurous lol loch lomond is brilliant very peaceful and hill walking is fab up the campsies.

Troon and ayr are lovely beaches too in July, arran is lovely and remote and so is Rothesay or also known as isle of bute.

There is also a little area only half hour drive from ayr (ill try find out what it is called) a friend of the family owns a retaurant and hotel there where you will get fresh seafood and can be taken out fishing too. Have fun.

Sauchiehall st she will get eaten alive up there lol

Maybe try Ashton lane or merchant city in Glasgow but agree a night out in Glasgow is a must

You could drive to culzean castle via the electric brae! The weirdest hill ever feels like your rolling uphill when your sitting still! Optical illusion but pretty funny all the same! Culzean is lovely though gorgeous gardens and walks, views of the west coast from the cliff sides the castle is built onto. I live just near the ferry terminal for Arran, it is a beautiful island! Xxx

Sauchiehall st she will get eaten alive up there lol

Maybe try Ashton lane or merchant city in Glasgow but agree a night out in Glasgow is a must

Actually i agree, you might get eaten alive lol sauchiehall st is maaaadd lol

Actually i agree, you might get eaten alive lol sauchiehall st is maaaadd lol

From what i read online about it, it's not any different then shopping on high streets where i'm from :p

Latest posts

Back