TPTW - PiP Breast Implants

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Reaction score
Hello all, Happy New Year! :)

I started a debate about this topic on my FB yesterday after reading so many different opinions about this in the media and on TV programmes and wondered what your thoughts are on it?

The latest (that I have heard anyway) is that it is being recommended that the government be held responsible for this as they passed these particular implants to be safe to use, therefore, the NHS should stump up the costs for removing and replacing with new, safe implants. But is it the Governments fault? Or the fault of the manufacturer? What about the private clinics that put them in, should they actually be made to remove and replace rather than drain our already struggling NHS resources?

Many people are also of the opinion that tough, shouldn't have been so vain as to get them done in the first place, why should tax payers now pay towards having these implants removed and replaced, that the patient themselves should pay for it (talking about people that have done it for reasons that are not medically related like in the cases of re constructive work following breast cancer) Do you share that opinion?

What about you? Do you have the implants and are now worried about what to do, or do you know someone else that has them? I have just found out that my friend has them, she is panicking and unsure what to do as she now lives in Spain.

It's quite a minefield of discussion out there about it. What are your thoughts?

Hi I think the manufactures should pay for the ops, but are they still in business? failing that the clinics who put them in must have insurance , you would hope, for these situations.

I read that if the nhs put them in they will remove & replace with an alternative but they didn't think the nhs had used any so that was a
pointless statement.

I don't think a struggling nhs should pay for people's replacements as there are far more important things they need to spend our money on, some people who go abroad for cheap surgery come home with problems & the nhs has to fix it, but even then they do not replace Implants they only treat the patient to make them well again.

I do feel sorry for people who have these dodgy implants they must be worried sick but I don't feel the nhs should bear the cost of replacing them. X

The nhs will not replace but they will remove the pip implants and go through the private insurers to regain money spent if the private company's won't help their patients.

I personally have implants but kit pip I looked at the whole thing before booking including lifetime aftercare and the warranty of my implants and paid extra for good quality implants. The safest way to be sure is mot to have had them in the first place but if anything was to happen I should not be penalised for vanity. Alot of people have implants for many reasons should those that have had then for reconstructive surgery be called vain?
A reporter recently called women grotesque dolls for having surgery she doesn't know people's circumstances so shouldn't have said that. Interesting though.

I'll be brave and be first - unless anyone's faster.

IMO:

They should be removed now, before any harm is done.

If they've been done by the NHS in the first place then I would say a definite yes to them being removed and replaced for free.

If by a private clinic I would say the onus is on the clinic.

If the clinic has gone out of business I understand the NHS will remove them.... but not replace them. I'm not sure if this will leave the woman disfigured? If so, that seems cruel.

As regarding the whole idea of implants, I think there are too many greedy surgeons making fortunes out of some women who really don't need them.
In a minority of cases they actually pander to a request for making the woman become freakish. That has to be wrong.

Both myself and my daughter have had lumpectomies, and tbh I can't really understand anyone with normal breasts wanting to have them messed about. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is a TPTW!

I really don't think that the NHS should be paying for this. There are so many people on waiting lists for operations that could save their lives, because of illness that hasn't been brought on themselves, for money to go towards this instead would be awful in my opinion.

Lots of people faster!

The nhs will not replace but they will remove the pip implants and go through the private insurers to regain money spent if the private company's won't help their patients.

I personally have implants but kit pip I looked at the whole thing before booking including lifetime aftercare and the warranty of my implants and paid extra for good quality implants. The safest way to be sure is mot to have had them in the first place but if anything was to happen I should not be penalised for vanity. Alot of people have implants for many reasons should those that have had then for reconstructive surgery be called vain?
A reporter recently called women grotesque dolls for having surgery she doesn't know people's circumstances so shouldn't have said that. Interesting though.

I didn't realise they did packages like that with the aftercare, that's a great thing to have, I always wondered what happens to girls who have implants then a few years down the line they need replaced, it's my understanding that they don't last forever, & they can't afford a second operation what happens then?

The pricing structure maybe needs to include this great insurance as it is your health we are talking about.

I would never judge anyone who has cosmetic surgery as everyone has different reasons for having it but patients need to be protected fron these terrible situations x

I get lifetime aftercare however this means check ups can see surgeon as often as needed etc however if there was no reason for mine to be replaced which there shouldn't be as manufacturer as provided lifetime warranty then I would have to pay for replacement For example if my body shape changed or I did anything to damage my breasts then that's up to be to pay for the resurgery.
Not intending on ever having another op but if in 10years time there was something like this with my manufacturer then I have back up there with warranty and support of the clinic.

It was my choice to have surgery and I fully accepted that things can go wrong prior to the surgery. It's not something I think people should just do I think they should think about it and do alot research into surgeon and what implants etc prior to paying money and having the op

I agree nhs shouldn't have to pay to sort this problem out however they waste much more money on alcoholics and drug addicts etc

Well I personally don't like the idea of surgery for these types of things unless they are for medical reasons as stated in my original post, such as re constructive work following breast cancer etc.

I am rather small breasted, have had flack for it most of my teenage years/early 20's, was bullied at school about it by boys (although since having my son they have got bigger). I have incredibly low self esteem about myself, my looks, my figure and have battled with these issues all my life. But I still am of the mind that I was born with what I have and so should just make do with it. Unless medically necessary, to put yourself under such risk, having un-necessary operations that in some cases have been/are/can be life threatening just seems absurd to me but I am also of the mind that each individual is different and each to their own.

I don't agree that the NHS should be footing the bill unless the implants were put in on the NHS in the first place. This, IMO, is down to the money grabbing private surgeons to put this right, they have profited from doing the surgery in the first place, if it's not right and is dangerous, then THEY should be replacing them no question :wink2:

[/QUOTE]It was my choice to have surgery and I fully accepted that things can go wrong prior to the surgery. It's not something I think people should just do I think they should think about it and do alot research into surgeon and what implants etc prior to paying money and having the op

I agree nhs shouldn't have to pay to sort this problem out however they waste much more money on alcoholics and drug addicts etc[/QUOTE]

Well said. I assumed that people who have had breast surgery would disagree with me!

Good point about alcoholics etc, it sickens me when an alcoholic is given a new liver and they continue to drink. It's not fair on the people waiting for liver ops who haven't damaged them themselves.

I think it should be done to the clinic's that put them in, to get them out and replace them.

When I heard about the PIP implants last year, I read up a lot on them and dug up the paper work I got with my own implants in 2006. Luckly mine where not PIP implants. From what I read, the manufactor basicly told the clinics and govements that the implants had one type of silcone in them (the type that is safe from implant useage) but they put a much cheaper silcone in the implants (the type you would find in mattaress and NOT suitable to be inside a human body) and sold them as the safe implants.

I know the clinics did not know they where being sold a doggy product but the women who brough these implants did so believing they where made from a certain type of silcone, so in effect they have not been provided with the product they where sold, as I result it should be down to the clinics to remove and replace the PIP implants as they where mis-sold.

If I had turned out to have had the PIP implants, I would have had them removed ASAP after reading the failer rate and the damage they can do.

Sam xx

BBC news tonight has said that the welsh nhs will remove & replace pip implants so we will wait & see what the rest do now.

An alcoholic isn't given a liver transplant if they are still drinking only if they haven't been drinking for a certain amount of time.just adding that bit in.same with a drug addict.

I don't think it's fair to group people as right or wrongs the list is endless over weigh or obese people,drug addicts,alcoholics diabetes caused buy being over weight,smokers and so on.

I wouldn't say that my fiancés dad shouldn't have had help from the nhs for lung cancer because he smoked or my grandad who smoked years ago gave up smoking and then had cancer or every part of him for 25 years.They are both dead now my fiancés dad died within 6months of getting it.

If the implants were put in buy the nhs they should remove them and if they were done buy a private company they should be removed.

What if you smoked and got cancer and then so done saying to you no sorry your going to have to die because you smoke were not going to treat you.

I just have a very straight forward view on this people have problems some deal with it in different ways this does not mean that they shouldn't be helped to have a better life.I see things from all aspects not just one.

If having implants makes you feel better then great good on you there's nothing worse than feeling not whole if you know what I mean.

Xxx

Hi. I have the dreaded PIPs.

I do not think that the NHS should fund the removal or replacement of the implants, but, the manufacturer has gone bust, my surgeon has gone AWOL and as the highly respected EXPENSIVE private clinic I went to doesn't want to know it leaves me in limbo.

Although I have now found out that these are cheaper implants, I paid a 'normal' amount for my surgery, I researched my surgeon, the clinic and the aftercare (which now by the way is apparently void). So I did everything in my power to make the right decision, but the clinic has made a fortune by being greedy.

I cannot afford to spend another £5000 and 2 weeks off from my salon getting them re done. Also I don't feel that I should have to. I had a lifetime guarantee, used a well known clinic not a cheap backstreet one or abroad.

I think the comments about vanity are unjust. We are all guilty of a little vanity, especially us geeks, that is why we chose this industry. I am not a typical bimbo, that gets her boobs out and flaunts them. I am a successful business woman who felt incomplete the way she was.

Sorry for the rant! xx

Hi. I have the dreaded PIPs.

I do not think that the NHS should fund the removal or replacement of the implants, but, the manufacturer has gone bust, my surgeon has gone AWOL and as the highly respected EXPENSIVE private clinic I went to doesn't want to know it leaves me in limbo.

Although I have now found out that these are cheaper implants, I paid a 'normal' amount for my surgery, I researched my surgeon, the clinic and the aftercare (which now by the way is apparently void). So I did everything in my power to make the right decision, but the clinic has made a fortune by being greedy.

I cannot afford to spend another £5000 and 2 weeks off from my salon getting them re done. Also I don't feel that I should have to. I had a lifetime guarantee, used a well known clinic not a cheap backstreet one or abroad.

I think the comments about vanity are unjust. We are all guilty of a little vanity, especially us geeks, that is why we chose this industry. I am not a typical bimbo, that gets her boobs out and flaunts them. I am a successful business woman who felt incomplete the way she was.

Sorry for the rant! xx

I think you've been treated disgracefully, and dishonestly, by your clinic.
These clinics should be named and shamed in the press.

These implants have been approved as safe by our government.

It is not the fault of the surgeon, the clinic, or the patient that they are faulty .. whether it is for cosmetic reasons or not.

These ladies all had their cosmetic ops carried out in this country with government-approved implants.

Therefore it is the governments responsibility to remove the faulty ones AND replace with a safer version.

These patients paid their money in good faith that the implants were ok.

The surgeons and the hospitals sold them and fitted them believing them to be safe.

If you buy anything in this country that is faulty you can return it to the shop and get a replacement or a refund - this is much more important, much more expensive, and if the government passed them as safe for use then they are ultimately responsible.

Jacqui xx

These implants have been approved as safe by our government.

It is not the fault of the surgeon, the clinic, or the patient that they are faulty .. whether it is for cosmetic reasons or not.

These ladies all had their cosmetic ops carried out in this country with government-approved implants.

Therefore it is the governments responsibility to remove the faulty ones AND replace with a safer version.

These patients paid their money in good faith that the implants were ok.

The surgeons and the hospitals sold them and fitted them believing them to be safe.

If you buy anything in this country that is faulty you can return it to the shop and get a replacement or a refund - this is much more important, much more expensive, and if the government passed them as safe for use then they are ultimately responsible.

Jacqui xx

well said :!:

Do you know jacqui I hadn't thought about it like that, with the government passing them as safe, it only seems fair they should replace then in that case xx

Thank you Pinky.

The buck must stop with the government in this instance.

One must assume that before they approved these implants they went through some kind of quality and safety assessment - the government are not in the habit of approving things without stringent testing.

If the company who made them have gone bust then that is too bad for the government as they have no one to re-coup the money from (they've got us of course - the tax payers).

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back