TPTW - PiP Breast Implants

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if the clinic used cheaper implants than they implied they would use, and are now not honouring their after-care service, which has been paid for as part of the package, then it is deceitful and in breach of contract.

Is that the issue then .. I am not aware of that .. what is the percentage of hospitals and clinics who have been found to have operated in this manner?

You get the few dodgy dealers in every single industry known to man - the majority can't be held accountable for the few.

And it doesn't change the fact that the implants under the spotlight had been approved by our government.

Aimz posted that this was her experience, so my comments on inferior implants and rescinded aftercare was related to that.

My earlier post on greedy clinics and surgeons is based solely on my own opinion, which, to be fair I can't substantiate. The essence of it is that, in my opinion, some lose sight of the ethos that the patient's well-being should be the defining factor in treatment, not the profit made.

I also truly don't understand how a doctor can collude with a woman's body dysmorphia - I'm talking here about those huge, out-of-proportion breasts -just for the money. Or for any reason.

It's an interesting and passionate debate.

I've been following this topic over the last few weeks with great interest - and no, I don't have implants (in fact, would prefer a reduction).

At the moment, from what I have heard and read, I am (suprisingly to myself) agreeing with the private clinics. These implants were licenced for use by OUR nhs/government for safe use. Why/how therefore did these implants ever get through our supposedly stringent licencing procedures, which usually take years of research before approval?

If you had surgery abroad (which I did), then you take the consequences,, but to have surgery in the UK, with an approved product, I'm thinking that the authority that approved that product has to take the consequences of approving said product.

Part of me also thinks though that alot of those that had the pip implants had them over 10 years ago ( not all people) and are seeing it as an opportunity to get updated implants and fresh surgery when 10 yrs ago they were told they would need to be replaced in the future. I agree with everything that's been said too. You can't blame the surgeon but the government for passing them as safe to use. You can't expect a surgeon to work for free and replace expensive implants and this is possibly what the private companies have insurance for. but again goes back to someone passing them as safe to use. I still believe you take the risk when you have surgery so should fully accept the consequences though I can see all sides.

Aimz posted that this was her experience, so my comments on inferior implants and rescinded aftercare was related to that.

My earlier post on greedy clinics and surgeons is based solely on my own opinion, which, to be fair I can't substantiate. The essence of it is that, in my opinion, some lose sight of the ethos that the patient's well-being should be the defining factor in treatment, not the profit made.

I also truly don't understand how a doctor can collude with a woman's body dysmorphia - I'm talking here about those huge, out-of-proportion breasts -just for the money. Or for any reason.

It's an interesting and passionate debate.

Very interesting view.

My post is strictly related to the implants under discussion in the news at the moment.

Jacqui xx

Very interesting view.

My post is strictly related to the implants under discussion in the news at the moment.

Jacqui xx[/Q

I did go a bit off-topic! x

I would like to add i had my boobs done 5 years ago and last year had to pay to have them redone, i didnt want to know if i had pip implants because i was in so much pain i just wanted them out. i also had to take 4 weeks off of work. you have the operation you take repsonibility. my boobs have cost me aprox £10,500 altogether, if you can't afford it don't have it done, everyone gets warned there is upkeep, be it 1 year or 15 years you will need them redone, i've been saving since my first op so i had the money to have them redone. Cosmetic surgery is a risky business and very expensive.

I have had a breast augmentation and when this story broke I personally thought 'oh that doesn't affect me as I have saline implants as I requested when I had my surgery'. After a few days of continuous headline news I decided I needed to check.

I called the company involved and was told I DID have these implants! Imagine my horror bearing in mind I have believed for the last 6 years that my implants were saline. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...I did have my implants for cosmetic reasons but this doesn't make me a bad person, I paid hard earned money for my operation and trusted the private company with my health.

I do NOT expect the NHS to pay for the removal of these implants but do expect them to take responsibility as they authorised the use of said implants and therefore should ensure they place pressure on the companies involved, to remove/replace the implants under their duty of care to us their patients.

If the company is no longer around then unfortunately, yes someone has to help and that may be the NHS but my main message is this....do NOT be small minded in blaming the women who have had surgery for being vain we are ALL vain in some way or another if we wear make-up, colour our hair, use moisturisers etc.....channel your energy and in some cases anger at the Government to make these private companies take responsibility!

I would like to add i had my boobs done 5 years ago and last year had to pay to have them redone, i didnt want to know if i had pip implants because i was in so much pain i just wanted them out. i also had to take 4 weeks off of work. you have the operation you take repsonibility. my boobs have cost me aprox £10,500 altogether, if you can't afford it don't have it done, everyone gets warned there is upkeep, be it 1 year or 15 years you will need them redone, i've been saving since my first op so i had the money to have them redone. Cosmetic surgery is a risky business and very expensive.

I only had the operation 2 and a half years ago. I was told my implants had a 25 year guarantee, also unless I wasn't happy with the shape or size in years to come there would be no need to ever have them replaced.
I paid extra for 'lifetime' aftercare and have received absolutely no advice or aftercare from my particular clinic.

The money is there to get them replaced if I need to, but I think it is down to the company or the clinic to pay for replacement. I don't think I should pay again.

If you bought a brand new car and the brakes were faulty you would go back to the dealer where it was under warranty and they would replace them. You wouldn't scrap the new car and then buy another brand new one!

X

I have had a breast augmentation and when this story broke I personally thought 'oh that doesn't affect me as I have saline implants as I requested when I had my surgery'. After a few days of continuous headline news I decided I needed to check.

I called the company involved and was told I DID have these implants! Imagine my horror bearing in mind I have believed for the last 6 years that my implants were saline. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...I did have my implants for cosmetic reasons but this doesn't make me a bad person, I paid hard earned money for my operation and trusted the private company with my health.

I do NOT expect the NHS to pay for the removal of these implants but do expect them to take responsibility as they authorised the use of said implants and therefore should ensure they place pressure on the companies involved, to remove/replace the implants under their duty of care to us their patients.

If the company is no longer around then unfortunately, yes someone has to help and that may be the NHS but my main message is this....do NOT be small minded in blaming the women who have had surgery for being vain we are ALL vain in some way or another if we wear make-up, colour our hair, use moisturisers etc.....channel your energy and in some cases anger at the Government to make these private companies take responsibility!

majority of people who have ever made small minded comments to me are people that have either had cosmetic surgery since OR people that would have it done it they had the chance. i think your case is a little different to everyone elses, thats horrific that they lied to you! have you contacted your company? x

I have and have thought seriously about this. The annoying bit is that It is going to be my word against theirs. The more I think about it the more Im convinced will do something like request my file.

I am not a person to act on impulse so need to think things through thoroughly first :confused:

I have and have thought seriously about this. The annoying bit is that It is going to be my word against theirs. The more I think about it the more Im convinced will do something like request my file.

I am not a person to act on impulse so need to think things through thoroughly first :confused:

maybe get intouch with someone like a legal person and ask advice on how to go about it. when i got my re-op done my new surgeon wanted my file from my first surgeon, no one would let me have it, i ended up getting the company i was going with to contact the company i was with the first time and STILL they wouldnt hand it over, they came up with every excuse in the book, they even told me the receptionist had died... lol. good luck though and keep us informed x

Back