TPTW.....Text talk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeepop

Reaction score
Just interested in what everyone's opinions are on reading threads/posts where someone uses a lot of 'text-speak'?

I must admit that I find it quite frustrating! I can do text talk, but I keep it for on the mobile phone and only for those who text me in that style.

I also wonder how those whose first language isn't English cope when someone writes in 'text speak'.....it must be extremely confusing for them!

I've just been trying to read something on another forum I belong to and gave up as it was full of things like - l8r, b4,tym,wiv,ny1 and the such. I know we are in an era of techy things, but surely 'traditional' writing methods should still be employed when communicating on a public stage such as a forum, or am I just getting way too old for my time? :eek: (Got plenty greying hair these days so........!?!?!) :lol: And there was me thinking I was still a fairly young thing lol. I am getting to grips with the 'routine' short versions of things (are they called acronyms? Brain has just died so I can't remember!) such as HTHs and IMO etc, which I don't mind....though I just read a thread where someone had written PITA and did wonder why they were talking about pitta bread :lol: until I figured it out :idea: lol

So, question is.....do you mind text talk on forums? Does it really bug you and maybe prevent you from reading the whole post? Or has text talk become so 'normal' that you don't really notice it now?

Last edited:
I think its extremely ignorant of the poster to type in text speak and immediately press the back button. I am not going to waste my time trying to work out what someone cannot be bothered to type properly.

Even when I text I text in full English, hardly use text speak at all. with a blackberry its quite difficult to use shortcuts anyhow.

usually someone comes on and politely asks the person to write properly and they soon get the message.

its lazy and sloppy and ignorant.

In a forum, text speak like "ne1 tym l8r" etc is not needed. Is it really hard to add more letters? e.g tym time.

But I am guilty of using words like "lol" and "u" so maybe I'm not one to talk :)

Louise x

I think the odd lol, 2, u, etc is acceptable.
also IMO.
But these probably only feature once or twice in the posting surely?

There's text talk and then there's industry words like NNO (natural nail overlay) or L+P, which I think are two totally different things.

We don't have a lot of text talk on Salon Geek and if we find a particular member keeps posting it (quite a lot) we'll edit their post and send them a private message asking them to type in full as quite often that will turn people away from their post/thread as it can be really difficult to read text talk at 'speed' :D

lol, IMO, hth's etc are normal for forums, l8r, ne1 etc are normal for phone SMS :wink2:

(I tend to not use text talk even when texting, apart from 2, 4 and lol!!!)

Edit to add: Just remembered the following article :wink2: http://www.salongeek.com/misc-articles/35663-message-board-lingo.html

Last edited:
Someone kept saying IO the other day what's that?

I think its extremely ignorant of the poster to type in text speak and immediately press the back button. I am not going to waste my time trying to work out what someone cannot be bothered to type properly.

Even when I text I text in full English, hardly use text speak at all. with a blackberry its quite difficult to use shortcuts anyhow.

usually someone comes on and politely asks the person to write properly and they soon get the message.

its lazy and sloppy and ignorant.
Ditto Hippychick's reply absolutely. I can't bear text talk and don't do it, even in a text. Somebody I know texts me using text talk and it drives me mad. I spend five times the normal amount of time reading her messages because I can't understand what she's saying. I also think it must take a lot of effort to shorten words into text talk.

IMHO I agr wv wts bn sd brb

Agree the odd lol etc. is ok, although things like WTF or RMFAO I don't like so much but I am with you on the text speak, it is just lazy and this is not the place for it. I often wonder if people that write on forums like this send their clients texts and emails like this:eek:

I also avoid posts where it is all one big paragraph, lines and lines of sentences with no grammar etc. I just give up on those.

I hate text talk! Ive never used it, not even in texts! I suppose it is quicker, and i can sort of understand people using it if theyre in a rush and urgently need to say something but otherwise its just so lazy, theres too much laziness going on in life nowadays!

Ive not seen all that much text talk on here though, not like on facebook where its all 'hi hw r u r u cmn 2 c me l8r?' :mad: headache! :lol: x

I love all the ROFL LMAO LMFAO ROFLMFAO etc. Just makes me laugh thinkig of the person rolling on the floor laughing their f****ing a$$ off....

I don't even text talk in text. the occasional "u" but apart from that, no. Back in the day when I had pay as you talk and every text cos 12p, I used to because it kept costs down, but now I have unlimited texts, whats the point?! Takes me 5 minutes to decipher what the text says. No.

I would never use text talk on a forum but did use it on my old mobile phone as the abbreviations meant i could get more in a text. Now that I have the iphone its actually easier to text correct words. Also I think the mature person (age that is) tend not to use text talk. Half the time i've no idea what's even being said. I do use lol though :lol:

I honestly dont know what most people are talking about when they use text talk. No one I know uses it so I don't come across it very much.

I hate text talk it drives me mad . My nephew uses it and like others here it takes me 5 minutes just to understand what he is talking about . I do occasionally use 2 (to) or u (you) in my text messages but that's all . But I do love roflma and lmao and lol they are great ones

I hate it, I don't do text speak, I find it so irritating if someone sends me a text that takes me minutes to decipher it or even pass to someone to try to read it (where's the confidentiality there?). I see it on facebook all the time and most of the time it must take them longer to work out how to text spell than write it correctly.

I do use lol but only with certain people. I even write to and not 2, are not r and you not u. I'd say it was a sign of age (I'm 39) but those of my kids who have phones don't use text speak either and they're 10, 15 and 18.

I am so glad I'm not the only one to dislike text speak! The one person who texts like that to me all the time originally began texting like that as a 'code' so her kids/ex couldn't understand (not that I always understand either lol). But she continues to do it, and does it on facebook now etc. And she's older than me (I'm hanging onto being under 40 but slipping very very fast :lol:).

My oldest son always does it and that really really drives me nuts - he knows I can't stand it! It may be a sign of the times, but sadly I see how poor many kids general spelling and grammar is these days (my own kids included :cry:) that text speak really isn't suprising. Oh well, they will all just have to get used to the idea that I will never convert to text speak fully (just the lol, omg, rofl etc......lol)

I hate text talk. I feel it is a shame that the beautiful written English has now resorted to that state.
I always type my posts in full, and then feel my English language is still not good enough.
Geeg on here has the perfect english. I wish i can write more like her!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I don't like it as half the time I don't even understand it.
What is hth?!?????

I hate text talk and find that most people that use it outside of texting have no spelling and grammar skills what so ever.

I'm no expert but i do my best! I wonder what the next generation of children will be like when their parents can only comminicate with words using no more than four letters :lol:

Latest posts

Back