Tptw- the wonder of "hints and tips"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JANEY K

Reaction score
After reading a lot of threads recently on hints and tips like the oil,polish stains removal in tunics\uniforms\couch covers\ and the removal of nail glue from your sofa or fabrics,but what about the little beauty secrets.

I just wanted to share a few "little hints and tips" and maybe we all can share our own little beauty secrets with others.:hug:

i tried and tested a few weeks back and found this tip on a natural remedies website about 100% pure olive oil from your kitchen cupboard to feed your hair by using it as a Hair Conditioner. Heat up a half cup in the microwave with a bit of rosemary oil (which stimulates the scalp). Comb it through freshly brushed hair and either let sit or, for a deep condition, wrap hair in a warm towel for 15 minutes. Then wash as usual. because i have my hair chemically coloured often ,it ended up soft and shiny.

I also just love to give my face a good steam twice per week with chamomile essential oil in a bowl of hot water for 10 mins with a towel over my head .Afterwards my skin is so smooth,clean and refreshed and feels like it's been fed.

This is one that i do myself twice per week ....after washing and conditioning your hair don't dry it yet...turn on the shower to cold setting and give that mane of yours a quick 1 minute blast with cold water...it closes all your hair follicles and pores,stops splitting ends and makes your hair more manageable less tangled and matted.

Almond oil has been used for cosmetic and therapeutic purposes since Egyptian times.It is not easily oxidized and it has a long life span,it has been used in facial masks and as a make-up remover and massage, adding a few drops of Almond oil to your hair conditioner is great for dry scalps and people that always colour or perm their hair
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
If you use baby(no tears) shampoo for your kids or have a bottle squeeze a spot of it in a small bowl of luke warm water ,close the eye you are doing and dip cotton buds in the bowl and gently wipe over and around you eyelashes then use a cotton disc to wipe over the eyes ..pat dry with a clean dry cotton disc ..it really cleans your eyes and lashes ,preventing eye infections keeping them soft and conditioned.

surgical spirit cleans your CD's.

here's another ..the use of Grape Seed oil is widely used in Aromatherapy massage and for greasy skin care and does not cause allergies. This oil can be used on your feet to soften hard skin and any dry patches such as your knees and elbows. you will find it in any supermarket for a few pounds but always buy it as a pure oil.

got a sting?
apply 1 drop of lavender oil (neat) onto the sting. Everytime it starts to hurt, add another drop.
Try not to go over 6 drops.

Circle a stain in permanent pen, so that when you remove the garment from the washing machine you can easily locate the area of the stain And check that it has gone.

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view.

Always poo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid for it.

Weight watchers. Avoid that devilish temptation to nibble at a chocolate bar in the cupboard or fridge by not buying the f***ing thing in the first place.

Recreate the fun of a visit to a public swimming pool in your home by filling the bath with cold water, adding two bottles of bleach, then urinating into it, before jumping in.

Anorexics. When your knees become fatter than your legs, start eating cake again.

An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an inexpensive vibrator.

Olympic athletes. Disguise the fact that you've taken steroids by running a bit slower.

Smokers. Save on matches and lighters, by simply lighting your next fag from the butt of your last one.

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they're always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etc 'tastes exactly like the real thing', they won't know the difference.

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you'd no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

High blood pressure sufferers. Simply cut yourself and bleed for a while, thus reducing the pressure in your veins.

Heavy smokers. Don't throw away those filters from the end of your cigarettes. Save them up and within a few years you'll have enough to insulate your roof.

Corsa drivers. Attach a lighted sparkler to the roof of your car before starting a long journey. You drive the things like dodgems anyway, so It may as well look like one.

A mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.

Fool next door into thinking you have more stairs than them by banging your feet twice on each stair.

At supermarket checkouts a Toblerone box makes a handy 'Next customer Please' sign for dyslexic shoppers.

Girls. Don't worry about a nice dress for that important first date. All he's interested in is seeing you naked.

Putting just the right amount of gin in your goldfish bowl makes the fishes' eyes bulge and cause them to swim in an amusing manner.

Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windscreen wipers turned to 'fast wipe' whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

Housewives. I find the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket.

Don't invite drug addicts round for a meal on Boxing Day. They may find the offer of cold turkey embarrassing or offensive

I got this from Viz so NO OFFENSE to anyone it is meant as a joke:)
If you find it offensive PM me and it'll be gone x

Circle a stain in permanent pen, so that when you remove the garment from the washing machine you can easily locate the area of the stain And check that it has gone.

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view.

Always poo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid for it.

Weight watchers. Avoid that devilish temptation to nibble at a chocolate bar in the cupboard or fridge by not buying the f***ing thing in the first place.

Recreate the fun of a visit to a public swimming pool in your home by filling the bath with cold water, adding two bottles of bleach, then urinating into it, before jumping in.

Anorexics. When your knees become fatter than your legs, start eating cake again.

An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an inexpensive vibrator.

Olympic athletes. Disguise the fact that you've taken steroids by running a bit slower.

Smokers. Save on matches and lighters, by simply lighting your next fag from the butt of your last one.

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they're always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etc 'tastes exactly like the real thing', they won't know the difference.

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you'd no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

High blood pressure sufferers. Simply cut yourself and bleed for a while, thus reducing the pressure in your veins.

Heavy smokers. Don't throw away those filters from the end of your cigarettes. Save them up and within a few years you'll have enough to insulate your roof.

Corsa drivers. Attach a lighted sparkler to the roof of your car before starting a long journey. You drive the things like dodgems anyway, so It may as well look like one.

A mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.

Fool next door into thinking you have more stairs than them by banging your feet twice on each stair.

At supermarket checkouts a Toblerone box makes a handy 'Next customer Please' sign for dyslexic shoppers.

Girls. Don't worry about a nice dress for that important first date. All he's interested in is seeing you naked.

Putting just the right amount of gin in your goldfish bowl makes the fishes' eyes bulge and cause them to swim in an amusing manner.

Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windscreen wipers turned to 'fast wipe' whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

Housewives. I find the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket.

Don't invite drug addicts round for a meal on Boxing Day. They may find the offer of cold turkey embarrassing or offensive

No tips from me but PMSL!!:green:

rofpmsl absolutly brilliant ...xx

omg Judy- I almost wet my pantaloons laughing! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:ROFPMSL judy..i almost wet myself reading this... i liked the wasp one..saves on duracel your tips and hints are well noted

:lol: Judy, that was well funny, my personal fave...? the washing up liquid :lol:

But, back to economising....

I use pure coconut oil for my face & body moisturising, its about 60p a bottle, lasts for ages, has no preservatives & unpleasant additives & does'nt smell of coconut!

I add a few drops of essential oil to the c.oil (usually geranium & rose).

House stink of garlic & nappies?
I like to blend another essential oil mix which I drop onto various hidden pine cones,
pine cones soak the oils up nicely & look nice later in the year.
The blend I use is:
a few drops of black pepper e.oil, citronella oil (to keep midges & other bugs away), geranium oil & bergamot oil.
In fact, buy lots of e.oils, they are lovely & it'll save money in all sorts of ways.

:lol: Judy that was hilarious!!

Ever got permanant marker on your clothes or ink? CHEAP (proper cheap) shaving foam gets it out!!

pmsl i must be mega thick this morning coz i read it and was sat here thinking "yeh but if you put perment arker on it wont wash out ~" dduuurrrrrrrr
it was only when i read the rest i realised , :lol: xxxx

pmsl i must be mega thick this morning coz i read it and was sat here thinking "yeh but if you put perment arker on it wont wash out ~" dduuurrrrrrrr
it was only when i read the rest i realised , :lol: xxxx

Exactly what i thought, pmsl. I had to re-read it a few times scratching my head. lol. It was untill i read down the list i relised. Think i'm having a blonde/senior moment together, lol:lol:

My tips now, lol

Grapeseed oil is brill for nappy rash and preventing nappy rash, untill baby is eating proper food. Clean bum with grapeseed oil (whatever state of nappy) and cotton wool, then apply some more after.

egg shells are really good for whitening your whites. Place 2-4 eggshells in a small hessian bag, tie at the top and pop in the machine with your whites.

Cheap shampoo, i find lidels 40p 2lt shampoo best, is brill for oil and grease stains. Washing up liquid is also good.

Cant remember this one, i think this is right. When cleaning the kitchen use a few drops of lemon essential oil on a damp clothe, i think it has an antibacterial action, if not it smells nice, lol.

pmsl thats me!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

My tip -
If you need to save a little time with your facial cleansing routine, mix your exfoliant in with your cleanser and use it when in the shower. At least 5 minutes saved.:)

Latest posts

Back