TPTW - What would you do to improve the industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Trying to keep up with the geek rules and post something thought provoking once in a while so here goes!

I've read a few things recently that point out the lowering standards of our industry and wondered what you would do to make it better, so....

If you were made 'Beauty Industry Prime Minister' (alright, its a crappy made up term but you get my drift!) tomorrow, what 3 things would you do to improve the beauty industry and what difference do you think they would make?

You can reply for a single area, hair, nails, skin or all three if you are a multi talented geek!

Last edited:
I would make ALL people doing hair or beauty/ nails do a minimum 2 year course if they are then licenced to charge for their services, with a level of competancy expected first. That way the public can be reassured that they get what they pay for, and trainees would get more models (free).

I would stop our industry being dispropotionately hit by taxes and regulation that was designed for large companies, not the micro service sector.

I would give salons subsidies to train more apprentices, and make the paperwork easier for this, I would also extend the training allowance rules so that over 19's don't find the industry impossible to enter via apprentiship.

Great thread!!

I would make ALL people doing hair or beauty/ nails do a minimum 2 year course if they are then licenced to charge for their services, with a level of competancy expected first. That way the public can be reassured that they get what they pay for, and trainees would get more models (free).

I would stop our industry being dispropotionately hit by taxes and regulation that was designed for large companies, not the micro service sector.

I would give salons subsidies to train more apprentices, and make the paperwork easier for this, I would also extend the training allowance rules so that over 19's don't find the industry impossible to enter via apprentiship.

Great thread!!

Ooooh, great response, thank you!!!

So what would you do with those already in the industry without the correct qualifications? Would they continue to work under their current training or would they have to retrain to get up to standard and gain licence to charge? This would certainly make the industry more difficult to join and those wanting to get involved would have to make an investment of time.

Since the beggining of salons till abou 5 or 6 years ago, 2 years was the minimum time to train as a hairdresser or beauty therapist. I personally did 3 years then 2 years as an improver. The exams were rigorous and I think we had a good, all round training.
This race to qualify in the shortest possible time has spawned the ridiculuos 6 week hair and therapy courses which have lowered standards. Lower standards mean lower pay.

If we agreed an industry standard wich wasnt financially motivated, the industry would gain more status in the eyes of the public than it currently has.

So I think raise standards, raise prices, raise salaries.

cool thread!

I would make a minimum requirement of education, 2 years and those that are experienced a refresher 1 year course p/t. With a additional option of extra assistance each year for a couple of weeks for new techniques that have been funded. I think refresher courses are essential every 5 years regarless of a break. I think that any new brands have accredited courses that are under one body that is insurable(made up word if ya get me!)

I would have a set wage for beginners and also a set price for learners. Id create a license so that it would be regulated, health and safely, also change legisation on set procedures and protocol! In my ideal world we'd have set standards to adhere to and would get some benifits from the government that covered our industry from novices at home jobs! ie get rid of the box hair dyes!!

Also just for a laugh id make sure that anyone with ugly betty eyebrows gota fine! Same applies to badly bitten nails! hehe! xoxo

There should be a benchmark level of qualification/s that enables potential therapists/hairdressers, technicians to gain a licence to practice in the UK. I think these can be full or part time but have a minimum amount of training hours. One day courses should be training days for licenced practioners only. Unfortunately insurance companies endorse one day courses for unqualified therapists and this should stop. Also all trade outlets should ask for qualifications before sale of goods like CND and Aston and Fincher. Health and safety checks should be made in salons to protect the public and mobiles will have to ensure a safe working practice, ie portable sterilising trays etc, etc.:).

I think they should have a dossier of all the brands and give out freebie samples of a set standard. So that people can get familiar and use and endorse these on one platform, rather than everyone being confused of a new brand and whether it is good or not. So when you are learning your minimum requirements you would get a set knowlege of all the brands but would recieve free seminiars to get set knowlege on each brand, and whether you wanted to continue it would be your choice. But think it would be a good idea to freshen the industry and see what it would be like if you had a clean slate. Would everyone still rave on about certian companies?? (im not insulting any companies merely suggesting!) xoxo

I think all nail techs should be licenced.
When you spend over X amount with a company they should pay for you to keep updated on their new products & new techniques. ie. refresher courses.

I think they should have a dossier of all the brands and give out freebie samples of a set standard. So that people can get familiar and use and endorse these on one platform, rather than everyone being confused of a new brand and whether it is good or not. So when you are learning your minimum requirements you would get a set knowlege of all the brands but would recieve free seminiars to get set knowlege on each brand, and whether you wanted to continue it would be your choice. But think it would be a good idea to freshen the industry and see what it would be like if you had a clean slate. Would everyone still rave on about certian companies?? (im not insulting any companies merely suggesting!) xoxo

Interesting post. Would this raise the standard and improve this industry though?

Also, who would supplement the cost of these samples? The companies providing them or some sort of government funding? There are alot of brands out there to sample!! :hug:

I think all nail techs should be licenced.
When you spend over X amount with a company they should pay for you to keep updated on their new products & new techniques. ie. refresher courses.

Would this be like a 'buy a kit worth £XXX and get a free training day, or, congratulations Miss Pooh8Bear, you just reach the £500 spend level and you're now entitled to one free training day?? :hug:

There should be a benchmark level of qualification/s that enables potential therapists/hairdressers, technicians to gain a licence to practice in the UK. I think these can be full or part time but have a minimum amount of training hours. One day courses should be training days for licenced practioners only. Unfortunately insurance companies endorse one day courses for unqualified therapists and this should stop. Also all trade outlets should ask for qualifications before sale of goods like CND and Aston and Fincher. Health and safety checks should be made in salons to protect the public and mobiles will have to ensure a safe working practice, ie portable sterilising trays etc, etc.:).

Good post.

Do you think its the insurance companies are responsible for the lacking standards for allowing the short courses to be considered adequate training and is it their responsibilty to put it right by having higher standards and stricter regulations?

How would mobile therapists be check for health and safety etc? Does anyone know how mobile beauty works in the US, is it used? :hug: xxx

Great thread, MissOwen!

I would make CEU's MANDATORY! I think it's reprehensible that you can go to school, get your license and never have to take any continuing education courses. At least, that's the way it is in Michigan.

I know hairdressers who have been licensed since the 60's and never took another course. I totally disagree with that.

Would this be like a 'buy a kit worth £XXX and get a free training day, or, congratulations Miss Pooh8Bear, you just reach the £500 spend level and you're now entitled to one free training day?? :hug:

"you just reach the £500 spend level and you're now entitled to one free training day?" YES EXACTLY.

1. To reconfirm what you have already been tought.

2. To ask any questions you have about their products & get it from the "horses mouth". That way every one they have trained are advertising their products correctly.
Which would also be good on their part as they could see where their training was lacking/needs improving.

It doesn't look good when different techs have different information about the same products, it looks unprofessional & makes a mockery of the training we get from said companies.

Great thread by the way MissOwen.x

Actually we feel the same way and it's the reason we created our own products. Techs spend between £1000 and £1500 a year and in most cases get absolutely nothing back from their supplier. In the meantime techs have to compete against low cost salons and often don't have the tools to be seen as different by their clients. New techs have an especially hard time as the classes are so short that they need 4 to 6 months of practice before they can earn money - as a result the drop out rate is huge.

Our concept is to give free education when techs buy our products. What this means is that on average, for every 300 Euro spent the tech gets one day's education free. You can also save the day's up to attend longer courses.

Our schools in Russia, Ukraine, Estonia and Sweden are providing this education:

- advanced gel techniques
- advanced acrylic techniques
- electric file application
- spa and apparatus manicure

=> techs who qualify on all the above also receive Master Nail Technician diploma

- hand painted nail art (levels 1, 2 and 3)
- gel nail art
- flat and acrylic nail art (levels 1, and 2)

=> techs who qualify on these also receive Master Nail Artist diploma

- mixed media nail art (levels 1, and 2)
- fantasy nail art (levels 1, and 2)

=> techs who qualify on these also receive Elite Nail Artist diploma

We're not in the UK yet - perhaps next year ;-).

BTW, our nail tech education is 15 days for manicure+gel, or manicure+acrylic, or 25 days for manicure, gel and acrylic. The first week or so is manicure and theory, then it's one or two days a week for 2 to 3 months - which gives the student time to practice, receive ongoing mentoring and iron-out any lifting or application problems. The price of the education isn't cheap, but then neither is it cheap not to earn money because you can't make good nails ;-)

Actually we feel the same way and it's the reason we created our own products. Techs spend between £1000 and £1500 a year and in most cases get absolutely nothing back from their supplier. In the meantime techs have to compete against low cost salons and often don't have the tools to be seen as different by their clients. New techs have an especially hard time as the classes are so short that they need 4 to 6 months of practice before they can earn money - as a result the drop out rate is huge.

Our concept is to give free education when techs buy our products. What this means is that on average, for every 300 Euro spent the tech gets one day's education free. You can also save the day's up to attend longer courses.

Our schools in Russia, Ukraine, Estonia and Sweden are providing this education:

=> techs who qualify on all the above also receive Master Nail Technician diploma

- gel nail art

BTW, our nail tech education is 15 days for manicure+gel, or manicure+acrylic, or 25 days for manicure, gel and acrylic. The first week or so is manicure and theory, then it's one or two days a week for 2 to 3 months - which gives the student time to practice, receive ongoing mentoring and iron-out any lifting or application problems. The price of the education isn't cheap, but then neither is it cheap not to earn money because you can't make good nails ;-)

Yes Bob, this is more like it.

Some sort of loyalty scheme, at the end of the day it is us techs using/selling/pushing the said companies products.
So in training us to do it more professionally can only help the companies to make more money.
This would help differentiate us from the nail bars as you dont get a word out of them.

"you just reach the £500 spend level and you're now entitled to one free training day?" YES EXACTLY.

1. To reconfirm what you have already been tought.

2. To ask any questions you have about their products & get it from the "horses mouth". That way every one they have trained are advertising their products correctly.
Which would also be good on their part as they could see where their training was lacking/needs improving.

It doesn't look good when different techs have different information about the same products, it looks unprofessional & makes a mockery of the training we get from said companies.

Great thread by the way MissOwen.x

Good points made, i think good brand knowledge would do wonders for tech confidence and brand marketing!

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming. Its great to see what everyone thinks on this and good to get a discussion going xx

I would get all the Industry Leaders/Movers/Shakers from around the world - each country - to have them sit down and determine
- minimum course outline & requirements for each level (beginner, intermediate, advanced, master) of each system
- minimum hours required to obtain a license/certificate or both
- Create a registry of techs that MEET these requirements

And establish a STANDARD around the globe. If the government won't do anything about it MAYBE the movers/shakers of the globe can do something on their own so that prospective Students and Consumers know where to refer to, to make SURE they are getting what they pay for.

Sorry, i think big.

ps: it wouldn't be that hard. Anyone with a computer can install ventrillo for free. One person can pay the minimal fee (15$) for a channel with enough room for 50 or more users and the rest of the folks can put on their headsets and have a CHAT without paying long distance fees.
I know, because I use Vent REGULARLY.

I think it would raise the standards, i often come across the phrase "your nails cant breathe" or this spray tan companys rubbish etc. If we were given the oppertunity for a set standard ie membership fees that covered insurance and skill set. Rather than the generic insurance companies that dont really do much then take annual fees.

The freebie samples would be of a set size say 25ml of something(trial packs/tanning/ hair colourance tubes etc) the brand would be covered by the government grant and also allow it to be endorsed, as it would be eu recognised allowing funding and internationally we would know EXACTLY what ingrediants are in the the bottles etc Thing is why should you buy into a company unless it had something to offer you? We'd all be on a equal heel to learn.
By doing this you could easily say the exact same thing as someone in cyprus, you would get the same EQUIVANT answers. New innovative techniques would be easiler to grasp, say layering with shellac compared to one stroke nail art to tanning the larger clientelle.

I personally would love to see a change, i think the best way to always go is a petition! Its worthwhile to make the difference! Some ppl get screwed over so badly when they first set up or faltering bosses who dont listen. xoxo

- gel nail art

Thanks for the reply Bob. It certainly sounds like you are working hard to create great technicians and rewards customer loyalty.

Can i ask if the standard is higher in countries such as Sweden? Do they have similar problems with NSS and poor quality techs or is it more few and far between?

Is this higher cost and longer training keeping the industry standards higher and is this regulated or are the companies / insurers and schools involved just keeping the training level high themselves? :hug: xx

Well MissOwen, someone has to do something. Low cost salons have been around for 20 years and so far the manufacturers have done little to support the traditional techs IMO - and if anything, they've made the situation worse by allowing the length of the tech education to reduce to ridiculous levels.

I would say that on average the level is higher in Sweden - so far. Most companies offer nail tech education of 15 days. There are two associations here SEYF (beauticians) and SANSA (distributors and schools) that have accredited school programs - they specify the minimum number of hours a new tech must be trained and which syllabus. Having said that - both have some pretty poor accredited schools.

However, low cost salons are coming here thick and fast. And while most distributors won't sell product unless they see your diploma, we now have 5 low cost webshops that will sell to anyone - so the market here will change for sure.

Pretty much every country I've visited has low cost salons, and many have short nail tech education. The problem is that most manufacturers / distributors see nail tech education as a way of catching customers - and they reduce the time and cost to compete.

To give an example, comparing classes in the UK and Sweden:

Manicure : UK, 1 day. Sweden, 7 days
Acrylic: UK, 5 days. Sweden 13 days.

So yes, I do believe the longer training and that the distributors and schools set themselves minimum standards does make the standard higher. But unlike the UK, the insurance companies don't care if you have a diploma or not.

But if I could be clear on one point. I don't believe low cost salons are the problem - I think the big problems in many countries are:

• anyone can buy professional nail products on webshops or eBay (means people can teach themselves and work from home - which is the other form of low cost salon)
  • short nail tech training classes and often poor instructors
  • very few schools offer any education beyond basic manicure, acrylic or gel (compare what we offer, which is similar to the best Russian, Ukrainian, Korean and Japanese schools)
  • people who want 'want a new career' but want to become a nail tech as fast and cheap as possible
IMO low cost salons serve a level of customer that wants a certain service - drop in an fast. They are not always cheaper than traditional salons because often they charge for many extra's which are included in the trad salons price.

The customer that professional techs should be aiming for is business or professional women who want reliable, good looking nails, plus a calm atmosphere from a salon that is safe (good sanitation). These people do not want hooker nails nor do they want to lose a nail on a business trip to Germany - so they are willing to pay. But you have to be good, deliver a great service and be seen as a specialist - which is where continuous and good education comes in.

And did you know that schools in Korea have nail tech training that lasts 4 years? Also, they regularly get 2000 techs entering competitions!

Latest posts

Back