TPTW - Your thoughts on regulating the nail industry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
TPTW (click the link to learn more :wink2:)

What are your thoughts on regulating the nail industry in the UK?

I say in the UK because a massive percentage of technicians on SG are British, however, if the industry isn't regulated where you live please feel free to jump in and add your 10 cents worth :green:

If (on the other hand) the industry is regulated where you live please tell us how it works and what the requirements are.

Do you think that regulating it would force NSS and cowboy techs 'underground' so that they could still work but not as publicly?

Would it really have an effect on your business?

Do you welcome it, even if it would mean taking an exam of competence to gain a certificate/licence?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :green:

I dont think that the industry in the UK could or should be regulated for the following reason - who sets the standard. Would it be regulated to the Creative way or EZ Flow or Millenium etc. etc.

I would like to see the suppliers regulating the industry from within with the help of someone who has the ability to shut down the people who sell on Ebay or through their own websites to anyone who can click!

VERY interesting thread!

I have always been a strong advocate in regulating the industry. What I haven't supported are the efforts of some individuals that have tried in a small way.

Achieving this is not simple nor free! Nor have these individuals been in a position to have a true impact on the industry in such a way that will make a difference.

Believe me when I say that there are a few moves afoot that have a far better chance of achieving a real change for the better.

The people that genuinely care about the right moves that will help our industry in a positive way have been working away at this for years! There have been a few changes in relevant legislation that 'could' make this a good possibility. A couple of meetings to discuss these opportunities are booked in January.

So many have tried and failed. There is no point in putting maximum efforts in yet another of these projects. The right people are ready to try to make some type of regulation a reality.

All I can say is 'watch this space'!

i am all for it , i have no idea how it could be done but i think it needs doing ,
i got such a shock when i moved to canada it realy is bad , i knew it was pretty bad but i didnt realise it was no where near as bad as it actually is ..
and do you know the minority are the decent salons that do nails !! people have been brainwashed into thinking getting your nails drilled to death and having horrific nails on is perfectly normal , it makes me shudder :eek: adn even when you talk to clinet and try tell them its not right , they just say "oh but its soo fast " ya cant win !

i am all for it , i have no idea how it could be done but i think it needs doing ,
i got such a shock when i moved to canada it realy is bad , i knew it was pretty bad but i didnt realise it was no where near as bad as it actually is ..
and do you know the minority are the decent salons that do nails !! people have been brainwashed into thinking getting your nails drilled to death and having horrific nails on is perfectly normal , it makes me shudder :eek: adn even when you talk to clinet and try tell them its not right , they just say "oh but its soo fast " ya cant win !

You must have felt at home straight away, then! Not so very different here for many! :hug:

lol to be honest lived in a small town so there were no nss salons in my area , the closest would be leeds or bfd and i didnt often venture into the city so i never saw em , lol
i thought i was pretty well prepared for the nail world over here ,but i tell you i got the shock of my life when i actually started living here :eek:

I would welcome it and would support it in any way that I could. If that menat sitting exams, cool, paying for a licence, yes fine. anything !!!! It shocks and upsets me sometimes see the state of some peoples nails when they come into the salon for the first time and I would support anything that meant all nail techs would have to become accountable for how they work and who they work on.

tigi
xx

In Michigan, you must attend 400 hours of instruction at a recognized cosmetology school. Then you must pass a state board exam to become a licensed manicurist. Every state in the US, except for Connecticut, requires some type of education and licensing.

Personally, I'd like to see continuing education MANDATORY. It is not. One could have become licensed in 1970, never have taken another course and still be a licensed manicurist in 2011, as long as you renew your license.

I fully believe in regulating our industry BUT regulating it does NOT keep out the unlicensed 'nail techs' providing nail services to an unsuspecting public. When one can figure out how to do that, they will be our hero.

Great thread! :)

I have tried to educate my clients and 1 in 5 listen. They tell me that the other place never told them that and their nails lasted forever etc. I actually quite doing nails for a while because it just drove me crazy. In Canada they really need to regulate the industry, only Hair is regulated here. Reason? Cost and that the general public is now better educated to know what is being done to their nails/skin etc. Good Grief. :rolleyes: I wish it weren't so.

Latest posts

Back