Trading Standards!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautification

Reaction score
Monday, went to a salon in Huddersfield had my hair dyed...first time in years and i love it and i love the atmosphere in the salon and the woman that owns it! So i was so pleased I thought i'd book for my nails doing as they have a self employed technician downstairs..he has an offer of £15..great even better!

So went in work half hour early as he said they only took him an hour, first of all....untidy and just not professional looking at all but there a fairly new salon....2nd a drill...I thought WELL he may have done a course!!

My mistake, he was like french tips yes..IMO a tech would look at a clients nails and give a recommendation and then ask if they agree or would like something else (I have small nail beds french would be awful on them) So I went for natural.

So he sticks them on...bearing in mind they all know i'm a nail tech, he says 'so what would you do next' I said well i'd blend the tips but I use full well tips and explained why. He said oh you don't want them painting, I said I don't know but you need to blend the tips (as if you don't blend the tips when you paint them)

He blends them with the drill...(electric nail file sorry) I felt on edge after all the thing's I've heard about ENF's but never had one used on me I wasn't alarmed at what he was doing but wasn't sure of what signs to be aware to try figure out if he'd been trained with the file.

So...going along doing my nails.. he says 'how many beads do you use' I said 3, why how many do you use. 'I try only use 1'

Making conversation with a 'fellow nail tech' how much was your brush? 'oh £60' ERM NO it was a star nails one that is something like £11 in sallys! (not saying there's anything wrong with them but there's a big difference to a £11 star nails and my 40 odd quid ezflow brush)

Now applied all product and finishing the nails..WITH A WHITE BLOCK ONLY. I'd slowly started to realise he wasn't good so i asked him where he trained..oh i'm not actually qualified someone showed me..

I wish i'd of asked this straight away, if i'd have been paying more attention on the area and not my flaming blackberry i'd of realised as soon as i sat down he was using star nails monomer and entity powder!!!!!!!!!!

My nails look awful and no lie they are absolutely killing me, I'm going back to the salon going to ask the salon owner for a word in private and explain to her he's not qualified aka no insurance e.g illegal! And mixing brands..(geeks please tell me, i know it isn't recommended but it is illegal) I want my money back and if i'm honest him gone! If he's still there by the time i finish for xmas I'm making an appointment to speak to someone in trading standards (seen as though there only in morley)

I know there isn't really much to say just wanted to share it with all the professionals..This is the second time it's happened to make and makes me wonder how many more nail techs are out there doing nails who aren't qualified...and i've spent so much on training and worked so god damn hard and i can tell you now if she turns round and says he is qualified i'm going to ask him...what acrylic liquid and powder is actually called, why he only used a white block and not the different grit files and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next time i wont be lazy i'll just do my own nails...BUT MY HAIR IS FAB!

Hiya,

It's shocking how hard the pros in our industry study and practice, then some one comes along, watches someone then thinks they can do it, and get a job doing it!!!

I would jus have a word with the salon owner, explain about your nails and the fact he's not qualified and has admitted that.
If he denies it to the salon owner I'm sure she'd ask to see certificates??

There isn't many regulations in the hair and beauty industry so I doubt mixing brands is illegal.
I would'nt go to trading standards, I doubt they'd do much with the lack of regulations, if the salon owner does nothing about it as they will start losing clients and may end up with a client suing him, him not being insured, and losing his job.
It may teach him the importance of proper qualifications.

That is really shocking!

I also wonder a lot about qualifications in some nail bars. I saw my 13 year old sister yesterday and she showed me her nails and asked if I liked them, I said oh are they stick on ones and she said no Acrylics!!!! I was shocked and asked them where she got them done, she mentioned a nail bar near where we live and I asked if they asked how old she was (she does look a bit older than 13 but still) or whether they completed a record card for her - needless to say they did neither. My dad was not happy about it at all but I am so tempted to go in there and ask what an earth they think they were doing not getting any information on her and not even checking her age.

I hope you do get your money back and that she does get rid of him, surely she knows hes not qualified?! If he was happy to tell you (a client) than he must have told her?!

Worrying!

x

I actually gasped out loud - this is awful!

I agree with above comments - i doubt that mixing brands is illegal but all trained nail geeks KNOW that you shouldnt mix it - not least because you never know how too diff products will react and what type of acrylic/bead it will make!!

I would speak to trading standards first to see what rights you have in terms of a refund and how far you can take your complaints but also get them to give you advise on tackling the issue of the getting this person sacked unless they get him trained before letting him work on other people - and i would do this sooner rather than later!

By going to TS first, you get all the facts/procedures first.

Thats a friendlier apporach than reporting the salon outright - but i would make it clear that you are prepared to report them for inspection if something isnt done ASAP.

How awful, I'm surprised you let him finish!! We are too polite in general are't we? I don't think anything illegal has gone on here or that you can report to trading standards to be fair, he hasn't said he is certified to do nails, he was honest and told you and you let him do them.

Whilst it might not be ethical what he is doing, I can certainly say if he hasn't got a certificate he won't be insured, again not illegal but in the event of a complaint any money will come from his own pocket.

I would complain direct to him and the owner to see what they say, at least you got a nice hair colour out of them :)

I'm also wondering when a geek is gonna suggest this be a blog :lol:

I got my money back! She was lovely I was so scared even though I am right he is wrong..in this case anyway!

As soon as I walked in he asked if I'd come to complain and he asked if they'd come off yet..he knows he's doing wrong but omg I only got em done yesterday..one has partly come off but I ignored him and spoke to the owner.

She said she was going to get rid of him or make him a junior..she didn't seem shocked that he wasn't qualified! Tbh I want him to go because when I go I want to be relaxed and not worrying if he says anything because it wouldn't surprise me he isn't professional 1 bit!!!!!

Well done for going back and getting a refund! Hope your nails aren't damaged.

i think it speaks volumes of the owner to let this guy work on HER clients then say shel make him a junior shes off her head x

Monday, went to a salon in Huddersfield had my hair dyed...first time in years and i love it and i love the atmosphere in the salon and the woman that owns it! So i was so pleased I thought i'd book for my nails doing as they have a self employed technician downstairs..he has an offer of £15..great even better!

So went in work half hour early as he said they only took him an hour, first of all....untidy and just not professional looking at all but there a fairly new salon....2nd a drill...I thought WELL he may have done a course!!

My mistake, he was like french tips yes..IMO a tech would look at a clients nails and give a recommendation and then ask if they agree or would like something else (I have small nail beds french would be awful on them) So I went for natural.

So he sticks them on...bearing in mind they all know i'm a nail tech, he says 'so what would you do next' I said well i'd blend the tips but I use full well tips and explained why. He said oh you don't want them painting, I said I don't know but you need to blend the tips (as if you don't blend the tips when you paint them)

He blends them with the drill...(electric nail file sorry) I felt on edge after all the thing's I've heard about ENF's but never had one used on me I wasn't alarmed at what he was doing but wasn't sure of what signs to be aware to try figure out if he'd been trained with the file.

So...going along doing my nails.. he says 'how many beads do you use' I said 3, why how many do you use. 'I try only use 1'

Making conversation with a 'fellow nail tech' how much was your brush? 'oh £60' ERM NO it was a star nails one that is something like £11 in sallys! (not saying there's anything wrong with them but there's a big difference to a £11 star nails and my 40 odd quid ezflow brush)

Now applied all product and finishing the nails..WITH A WHITE BLOCK ONLY. I'd slowly started to realise he wasn't good so i asked him where he trained..oh i'm not actually qualified someone showed me..

I wish i'd of asked this straight away, if i'd have been paying more attention on the area and not my flaming blackberry i'd of realised as soon as i sat down he was using star nails monomer and entity powder!!!!!!!!!!

My nails look awful and no lie they are absolutely killing me, I'm going back to the salon going to ask the salon owner for a word in private and explain to her he's not qualified aka no insurance e.g illegal! And mixing brands..(geeks please tell me, i know it isn't recommended but it is illegal) I want my money back and if i'm honest him gone! If he's still there by the time i finish for xmas I'm making an appointment to speak to someone in trading standards (seen as though there only in morley)

I know there isn't really much to say just wanted to share it with all the professionals..This is the second time it's happened to make and makes me wonder how many more nail techs are out there doing nails who aren't qualified...and i've spent so much on training and worked so god damn hard and i can tell you now if she turns round and says he is qualified i'm going to ask him...what acrylic liquid and powder is actually called, why he only used a white block and not the different grit files and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next time i wont be lazy i'll just do my own nails...BUT MY HAIR IS FAB!

Would love to see a pic of these. Lol Can you post one? :)It's amazing how many unqualified techs (if I should be calling them that) are still out there. As you said it's not fair to the techs that have spent a lot on education, love what they do and who are really dedicated to producing a fantastic set of nails.

just took them off,my nails are in terrible condition underneath but don't think there damaged. damn i didn't take a pic! i have a photo of one of them from the side incase i needed it to back the whole experience up.lol.

Latest posts

Back