Training to Teach... Advice Please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks, Teaching has been something I have been interested in doing for a long time. I went with my eldest daughter to her college open evening on Monday evening and left buzzing from the whole teacher/student atmosphere and my interest was reignited. However, I have no idea how to get started.

I want to have a recognized and worthwhile qualification to teach Beauty Therapy. I am currently qualified with a CIBTAC Diploma in Aesthetics Beauty (so not qualified in body therapy).

Thank you x

There are quite a few threads on this site about training to teach. Good search terms would be "PTTLS" or "DTTLS" or "assessing".

Assuming you want to work in an FE college, you would quite quickly need to gain the PTTLS qualification, then the A1 qualification, then the V1 qualification, then the DTTLS qualification, probably in that order, although the last two are reversible.

Teaching is hard work and a big commitment, both in time and emotional energy. I always recommend that you get in touch with either the Head of Department or HR at your local FE college and offer yourself as a classroom assistant (unpaid) for a half day or day per week for a term or so. This allows you to get to grips with the system without being taken advantage of. It also gives you a great route in.

PTTLS (petals)city and guilds 7303.This is the introduction to part time teaching in the lifelong learning sector.

Gemma has done this Tracy and this will enable you to teach for companies ie say if you wanted to be a spray tan trainer it is the minimum requirement to teach.

Gemma went to Hertford regional college at broxbourne but they do it at oaklands and watford.Its about an 18 week course about 3 to 4 hours once a week lots of homework assignments and a micro teach to do.

After this you have cttlls 7304 which is a certificate to teach in the lifelong learning sector you are required to have so many hours of teaching to do as you do the course and it can take a full year or even 2 to do part time.

You can also go straight into dttls missing out cttlls which is the diploma and the one you are required to have to fully teach and eventually assess in an fe college you will be working in a college while you do it and they will fund it but obviously they require so much industry experience before they would employ you.

Geepers.... I'm going to have to look all these abbreviations. Thanks x

like the original poster said all them abreivs. went overmy head lol so to teach in an college the course is longer than to teach for a private company? did i read that right? if so, why? :\ x

like the original poster said all them abreivs. went overmy head lol so to teach in an college the course is longer than to teach for a private company? did i read that right? if so, why? :\ x

Not necessarily it depends what the private company are teaching and what examining boards they are using.

Many private tutors who are for instance working either for themselves teaching something which they have had accredited by say the guild or BABTAC may just have a PTLLS, as may trainers working for companies ie spraytan trainers,eyelash extension trainers.

Ideally, (and i may be wrong but i think it will soon be a requirement)any trainer should take the CTLLS as the PTLLS has only ever been what it states.. an introduction.

Yes. After years of leaving the FE sector alone, the government is trying to "professionalise" and regulate teaching qualifications at the post 16 level. However, they don't care about private companies.

Here are what the abbreviations stand for....

PTLLS - Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector

CTLLS - Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector

DTLLS - Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector

A1 - Assessors Award

V1 - Verifiers Award

Im just curious, and sorry to sidetrck the thread slightly, what acrrediting bodies are themost reconised in the Uk?
We have ITEC CIBTAC and CIDESCO as our main ones???

What is the difference between A1 (Accessors) and V1 (Verifiers)?

Assessor is where you can assess your students work.
A verifier or internal verifier would then assess your marking.

It used be called D32 and D33 for assessors and D34 for internal verifier. You could also go on to become an external verifier.

You could also do Certificate of Education or PGCE post grad cert of education.

If you decided to open your own teaching school it would depend on what accreditation you go for, for example VTCT would involve you have an IV (internal verifier) and an EV (external verifier).

You can employ people to do this for you.

You could also do Certificate of Education or PGCE post grad cert of education.

If you decided to open your own teaching school it would depend on what accreditation you go for, for example VTCT would involve you have an IV (internal verifier) and an EV (external verifier).

You can employ people to do this for you.

Thank you Hippy-Chick for your replies. Much appreciated.

start off with PTLLS and try some volunary teaching/support teaching...

I have the prospectus now and the PTTLS courses run every couple of months so I am sure I will be enrolled before the end of the year.

I spoke to my local college head of teaching yesterday and as SJK suggested earlier in this thread, she recommended that I apply to shadow a tutor for a while. I'll make enquiries this week.

Thank you again geeks. This info is really helpful.

I have the prospectus now and the PTTLS courses run every couple of months so I am sure I will be enrolled before the end of the year.

I spoke to my local college head of teaching yesterday and as SJK suggested earlier in this thread, she recommended that I apply to shadow a tutor for a while. I'll make enquiries this week.

Thank you again geeks. This info is really helpful.

Hi Mrs Clooney, just checking to see how its gone with your PTTLS course? I was doing a search on been an assessor and your thread came up. Hope you can borrow me one or two advises on this?

Many Thanks Ola

I am currently studying for a certificate in education after completing my PTLLs and Assessors award. I teach at college, it is a two year part time course that you need 75 teaching practice each year too. I decided to take this course instead of dtlls and ctlls as it is better for college tutoring. You don't need as many hours with the dtlls route but is suitable for training schools and private education. The courses change all the time though so this might not be the case now. i do know that you can teach in high schools if you have a Cert Ed though.
It is very hard work but very rewarding.
Carrie :)

Thanks for the reply, was just wondering what course is best to take if II want to be an assessor for training schools and private education. I don't really want to go down the teaching route but looking into this as a way of expanding my horizon so to speak. Thanks

Latest posts

Back