Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny2

Reaction score
Can i just ask, i have had a couple of people on here approach me for training and i was wondering how this would effect insurance. I no obviously some of u offer mentoring and are very good at what u do. But if u don't hold a teaching certificate and train , do u need seperate insurance.
My hubby and i were talking about it tonight and he said that if that person went away after u had advised them on the best techniques and watched them and supervised them the whole time, i don't no say for example on nails and they caused damage to some one else after they left u, even though they were competent in your presence , what impact would that have on u and your insurance.
Also anouther thought came to mind, when u go on these courses/mentoring courses obviously u are watched like a hawk and supervised all the time, but what if u just used a slightly different action and damaged that ladies nails or some thing, as it only just takes a second.
I no these questiones sound mad and i would love to help others but surely if something went wrong in that split second then the insurance would be void, or is it simply that each person is qualified, so have there own insurance to work on clients and so would be treated as if was just a normel day in the salon:green:

Sorry guys if it does not quite make sence, but found this a really hard one to put into words.

Last edited:
If you want to offer and accredited course then as far as I am aware in order for your course to be accredited you need to hold your 7303, write the course manual and have it approved by the relevant insurance body (guild or babtac for example) obviously you nee to be qualified in the subject you wish to teach also!

However what the trainee does once they have passed doesnt affect you, you cant be held responsible for what they do after the classes/course. So long as you teach n line with the accredited course that has been approved then your maintaining your standards as apporoved by the insurance body.

we live in a 'sue' society, so now you should hold relevant insurance to teach, so therefore, you need to be a qualified tutor and if you are going to produce courses that come with a qualification you will need to get your courses accreditted.

If you are going to be a mentor, then that person needs to have a relevant qualification that they are already insured for, and what you are offering is:

* your knowledge and experience

If you do go the accreditted route, then you can offer CPD points too.

I stopped teaching for a FE college through an agency, as they wanted to deduct more money out of my wage for extra teaching insurance, when I queried it, it was incase a student when qualified, got sued, and blamed it on the tuition that they had received.

At the moment, I hold extra insurance for producing a certificate that a student can gain insurance for, but generally your insurance will cover you for teaching CPD courses, ie the student is already qualified to a basic level.

if you really do want to go the teaching route, get a teaching certificate. the public and private sector are really clamping down on this. Also, you may find your insurance doesn't cover you unless you hold a teaching certificate.

I am happy to back down on this if anyone has more recent information on the standardisation of teaching.

Thank u guys, hippy chic, obviously at the moment i do not hold a teaching certificate. I have just applied to start my training for this in sep.
The people that have asked me for training are qualified, but would like to advance there skills and learn something that they have not been tought in college, but would still be insured for through the qualification they already hold. Obviously if i was to do this it would be on a baces of me sharing my skills, but like my husband said what if something went wrong, what if in that split second even though they are under your watchfull eye they made a terrible mistake. How would that effect the mentor so to speak, when i am not trained to teach. WOuld it like u have mentioned just me sharing info and advise, and with me not being qualified to teach can u still charge for this specific service, shareing knowledge.
The thing is i would rather wait to help these people and reffer them on to others whome are qualified to teach as i certainly do not want to be in a position to get sued.

Hiya,

First of all can i thank tonilee for advise given, which i found most helpfull:hug: THANK YOU

Just need some more advise

If i wanted to traine in one of my chosen beauty treatments
nails
waxing
tanning
permanent cosmetics

If i pass my 7303 pre-teachers qualification and have extra insurance to train and supply a cert to students.

Can i teach with this 7303 pre-teachers???

just a little confused, please advise

jenny x

Sory me again,

just one more question for those wo have qualified 7303, what does it involve over the 12wks, what prjects do you cover?

Jenny x

Hi Jenny
Yes if you hold your 7303 then you can teach, but you can only teach what you are qualified to do and you have to have your courses accredited with the guild or babtac etc.. so that you can give out certificates valid for insurance,
the 7303 course is very very intense, you have 10 or more assignments to write and a learning journal to go along side each one as well as doing a reference list of where you have found all your info from for the assignments as well as a few other bits
and near the end of the course you do a mock teaching practise where you hold a 1 hour class for the rest of the students in your group, for this you have to set out a learning plan as if you were teaching a full course and then pick a section of the learning plan to teach to the others,
that is about all i can remember of doing it,
different areas of the country seem to teach the course slightly different to others but that will give you a rough idea, hth

With BABTAC, you have to pass the 7303 during the 12mths after your courses being accredited.

The 7303 has nothing to do with the subject that you'll be training in.

Latest posts

Back