Transfer Foil... YUMMY!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Just ordered a shed load of foils I can't wait to get foiling!!!x

What red did you use as your base. Can't tell which 1 it is on my iPod. X

So here's a question that's bugging me about nail foils. It's intentionally being pressed into the sticky layer, which by definition is a small amount of uncured product. With all the concern about allergies to uncured gel being left on the nail, how is that not a concern in this case if it's truly possible for the gel to migrate through the polish to the nail and even through the nail as some claim can happen with undercured gel polish?

So here's a question that's bugging me about nail foils. It's intentionally being pressed into the sticky layer, which by definition is a small amount of uncured product. With all the concern about allergies to uncured gel being left on the nail, how is that not a concern in this case if it's truly possible for the gel to migrate through the polish to the nail and even through the nail as some claim can happen with undercured gel polish?
Hi it's pressed onto the sticky layer of the 2nd colour coat so u still apply your top coat afterwards an it will all b fully cured hth :)

i tried this ages ago with Gelez gel polish and no transfer came off so i never bothered again.

I have some gelish colours now, will it worth with gellish? anyone tried and have any tips?

I used the usual nail foil as you would with the adhesive glue (which i never managed to get the hang of either!)

Any help? love love love foil look nails! the more bling the better! xx

The sticky layer of shellac is NOT uncured product. It is a layer created during the curing process in order to keep out oxygen so as the product may harden. So there is no risk of undercuring while using foils.

Hi it's pressed onto the sticky layer of the 2nd colour coat so u still apply your top coat afterwards an it will all b fully cured hth :)

Your topcoat is not going to reach your sticky layer of the 2nd color coat and won't cure as it's usual mix.

The sticky layer of shellac is NOT uncured product. It is a layer created during the curing process in order to keep out oxygen so as the product may harden. So there is no risk of undercuring while using foils.

I think you are mistaken, taken from Doug Schoon, "Secret 3, UVA light cUring cAn’t compete with oxygen. Oxygen in the air prevents the UV gel molecules in the top most layer from linking together to create hard polymers, so that part remains sticky and gooey. Below this sticky “inhibition layer” where
there is very little oxygen, UVA light will cure the UV gel into a durable artificial nail, as long as it isn’t applied too thickly."

Otherwise read as, oxygen prevents the uppermost layer curing...The inhibition layer is indeed uncured product, curing is just another word for the formation of crosslinks.

And what would prevent it from being cured if the top coat was applied and the service was complete? What's any different between foil and glitter applied in the same manner? Holly is a highly trusted educator and I for one trust her judgement as one.

Also, the inhibition layer is absorbed into the foil... As is the top coat. Service breakdown is not a risk.

I apologize if you mistook what I said. It is not uncured when the service is complete. I shouldve explained myself a little more thoroughly.

And what would prevent it from being cured if the top coat was applied and the service was complete? What's any different between foil and glitter applied in the same manner? Holly is a highly trusted educator and I for one trust her judgement as one.

Also, the inhibition layer is absorbed into the foil... As is the top coat. Service breakdown is not a risk.

I apologize if you mistook what I said. It is not uncured when the service is complete. I shouldve explained myself a little more thoroughly.

I'm doing a little assuming here so you know what they say about that, but my thinking goes as follows: First off glitter being a smaller particle size in general I think would be less of an issue because the subsequent coats would be able to flow around the particles. Foil I see as more of an impermeable sheet of material that is placed in larger chunks. I see it being much easier for the inhibition layer to be trapped under the foil and not able to come in contact with the topcoat in the normal scenario.

I figure that these soak off gels are formulated so that the inhibition layer mixed with the next layer still has enough crosslinking bonds available to cure fully. I think that if the inhibition layer is trapped under the foil and not able to mix with the next layer than it cannot be in a position to be part of the cured product. I do not think it all implausible to believe that there could be uncured product under the foils. I'm also assuming that the "foils" are actually similar to metal, and are not formulated to work with the soak off gels. In my scenario, I believe them to be impermeable and they won't be absorbing anything, they are merely stuck to the tacky layer.

I do not think this an unreasonable assumption on my part and have not yet seen any argument that makes me think I'm wrong about this scenario. Do I believe it's a huge risk? Probably not, because I still think the produce is tied up between layers of cured product and that I don't think that soak off gel polishes are super porous, but I would also be one who would quite happily argue that the CND lamp is not the only lamp that can cure Shellac, though I can understand why they would say that their lamp is the only one the company can guarantee will cure Shellac, a not so subtle difference.

I have just had a look over your profile and have decided you are not worth arguing with. :)

Holly is an EXTREMELY credible educator and I trust her judgement fully and will continue to do so.

For the record, glitter and foil are the same concept. A craft substance sandwiched between layers of Shellac to create an effect. And I will continue this technique as taught by Fingernailfixer until CND themselves or Doug Schoon releases a statement of concern about the procedure.

If you have that many concerns about it, i suggest you contact CND themselves instead of posting your assumptions on a public thread. ;)

I have just had a look over your profile and have decided you are not worth arguing with. :)

Holly is an EXTREMELY credible educator and I trust her judgement fully and will continue to do so.

For the record, glitter and foil are the same concept. A craft substance sandwiched between layers of Shellac to create an effect. And I will continue this technique as taught by Fingernailfixer until CND themselves or Doug Schoon releases a statement of concern about the procedure.

If you have that many concerns about it, i suggest you contact CND themselves instead of posting your assumptions on a public thread. ;)

You can decide that I'm not worth arguing with and that's fine, for the record I hold a masters degree in chemical engineering and I still feel my question is relevant. There have been no facts brought to the conversation that leads me to believe that there is absolutely no concern whatsoever. I'm personally not alarmed about it, but merely still curious.

Great for Christmas!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283489.532684.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283489.532684.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 287
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283518.097039.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283518.097039.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,172
Another x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283649.671499.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324283649.671499.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 414
Just had a go at these, they are amazing!! Love them x

omg these are beautiful!!!!! ahh so cant wait to try them... which of the places that has been mentioned do you think is best to buy the foils from?

Have to say I'm loving this technique I've done three sets since last night ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596559.296495.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596559.296495.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 253
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596571.776330.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596571.776330.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 287
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596589.204118.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324596589.204118.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 263
I got mine from foil play as said earlier x

i purchase the rolls of foils for $1.00(usd) at dollar nail art.com i think they are still doing buy six get the adhesive free.

as for concern about curing...i trust holly, but if ur that worried about it...id remove the tacky layer, use the foils with the adhesive (personally i prefer "the best glue ever" available at scraperfect.com - look for video by robinmosesnailart on youtube she uses this a lot!) and then apply shellac topcoat.

Last edited:
i purchase the rolls of foils for $1.00(usd) at dollar nail art.com i think they are still doing buy six get the adhesive free.

as for concern about curing...i trust holly, but if ur that worried about it...id remove the tacky layer, use the foils with the adhesive (personally i prefer "the best glue ever" available at scraperfect.com - look for video by robinmosesnailart on youtube she uses this a lot!) and then apply shellac topcoat.

Appreciate the suggestion. I actually just purchased that glue (did see in on robinmosesnailart) and used it with glitter for the first time today. I got my foils from dollarnailart.com and tried their glue and it did not last. I've had the same experience with pressing it into the sticky layer and topcoating it. I think probably because I was using full nail coverage with the foil that I had issues?

I love holly's videos also and I wasn't questioning anyone's judgment so much as just making an observation, maybe something I was more likely to think about just based on my education. My personal thought is that gel photoinitiators are fairly allergenic, definitely warranting minimal skin contact, but that I'm not sure they are able to literally move through cured layers of gel polish, though some have claimed this is possible, of course I could be mistaken. I do think there is probably some uncured sticky layer left under large pieces of foil that have been transferred, less likely in my opinion between small pieces of glitter. I just don't know if there is any or much risk of it going anywhere. I was going to try removing the sticky just to get a better lasting transfer foil, hoping that the "best glue ever" works better than the freebie I've tried from dollarnailart.

Thanks again. I'm truely not trying to be argumentative, again just looking for answers.

i used glitzy lips reddy or not over shellac in Hollywood. love it looks so shiny.

Attachments

• hollywood and glitzylips.jpg
    hollywood and glitzylips.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 335
Hi all just wondering how much you charge for the foils with shellac?

Latest posts

Back