Trashed nails, no confidence, skint and annoyed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezza

Reaction score
Hi all

Hope you're all good on this wednesday!!! I've passed my exam with XYZ (not gonna name them because I feel harsh, but it was not CND) in March and am still pleased that I went with them because of their reputation, but have so many problems with the nails that I'm producing!!

I know that it will take me years to get really good but the work that I'm producing is not good at all. All the nails that I have done on people either lift off around the edges or just completely ping off - and I know they're not exaggerating, it's members of family who wouldn't lie and the ones that i've done myslef do the same thing too!! My own nails are absolutely trashed from the course - other people working on them and having god knows how many sets on them in the past three months.

I've spent about £1500 on kit and course (I did gel, acrylic and wraps as well as coloured gel) and certainly can't charge anyone for the work I'm doing. I need more practice but don't wanna just carry on doing cr@p work. I bought the nailclass book by gigi and it has helped to some extent, ie with technique but feel like I need someone to show me what to do!! It's so frustrating - I'm starting to think that being able to do perfect nails (or some that just don't lift!!) is never ever gonna happen and is literally a total impossibility. I have got a good eye for form, c curve, lower arch etc and can easily see what's wrong with a nail - it's just creating it with the products that I'm terrible at!!!

I've rung sweet squared and am thinking about having a one to one with an educator - has anyone done this - did it help? How long did you have? How am I ever going to get better?! I feel so let down and frustrated; i know it won't come over night but at this rate I'll have spent so much money on it I will never make it back!! Aside from that, I started this because I've always been interested in nails and that's why I wanted to start it all, now it's becoming something that just makes me think I'm a failure!!

Sorry to go on but thanks for reading, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Bez :evil::evil::evil::wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2::evil::evil::evil:

how many people r u doing nails on? It cud b that ur not preping the nail right by not taking all the oils off or u might not be sealing the product right after aplication..is the product dry before u start filing is it crystilising? It cud just be the products ur using. Alot of people wud probs say that im wrong but iv used products from naio before now wen i was practicing cause its cheap and iv not had problems with them...but i only used there liquid for acrylics.
Dont lose heart tho uv put to much effort in and money...ur not alone in thinking u produce rubish results we,ve all dun it. Just keep going as for ur nails buy some practice fingers u can get them from naio site and michelle porter site for a low cost.

Keep smiling and ul get there xxx

Last edited:
I did a one to one with CND a few years ago and found it very helpful.

Are you doing all your prep thoroughly, making sure you dont touch the nail plate after prep, not going too close to cuticle with product, not putting product on too thick.

Is it happening with all systems?

Most of the threads on here seem to say that it must be the nail prep that I'm doing wrong - but I spend at least 20-30 minutes on this and I thought I was doing it all good!! But the product goes cloudy and just starts to lift around the edges with the l&p and will then just ping off in one big nail shaped acrylic or with the gel just pops off in one go. Aarrrrrrrrrggghhh!!!

I did a one to one with CND a few years ago and found it very helpful.

Are you doing all your prep thoroughly, making sure you dont touch the nail plate after prep, not going too close to cuticle with product, not putting product on too thick.

Is it happening with all systems?

Yeah it's with all systems, which suggests it must be the nail prep? How do your nails look once you've done all the prep? Do they go all white as if they are dehydrated?

mine go more of a cloudy tinge to them. how many nails do u do on different ppl? it cud just be the persons job, like if they work with chemicals. Ur probs preping the nail right, try using a different product or ask somone completely different if u can do there nails...do two nails one with ur regular product and one nail with another see if it makes a diff, nails can pop off anyway and they lift too. it depends alot on the person and their care for the nails.

xxx

oh or u cud try going into a good salon near where u live and watch their way of doing them...yes it is wrong but could help u x

Hi all

Hope you're all good on this wednesday!!! I've passed my exam with XYZ (not gonna name them because I feel harsh, but it was not CND) in March and am still pleased that I went with them because of their reputation, but have so many problems with the nails that I'm producing!!

I know that it will take me years to get really good but the work that I'm producing is not good at all. All the nails that I have done on people either lift off around the edges or just completely ping off - and I know they're not exaggerating, it's members of family who wouldn't lie and the ones that i've done myslef do the same thing too!! My own nails are absolutely trashed from the course - other people working on them and having god knows how many sets on them in the past three months.

I've spent about £1500 on kit and course (I did gel, acrylic and wraps as well as coloured gel) and certainly can't charge anyone for the work I'm doing. I need more practice but don't wanna just carry on doing cr@p work. I bought the nailclass book by gigi and it has helped to some extent, ie with technique but feel like I need someone to show me what to do!! It's so frustrating - I'm starting to think that being able to do perfect nails (or some that just don't lift!!) is never ever gonna happen and is literally a total impossibility. I have got a good eye for form, c curve, lower arch etc and can easily see what's wrong with a nail - it's just creating it with the products that I'm terrible at!!!

I've rung sweet squared and am thinking about having a one to one with an educator - has anyone done this - did it help? How long did you have? How am I ever going to get better?! I feel so let down and frustrated; i know it won't come over night but at this rate I'll have spent so much money on it I will never make it back!! Aside from that, I started this because I've always been interested in nails and that's why I wanted to start it all, now it's becoming something that just makes me think I'm a failure!!

Sorry to go on but thanks for reading, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Bez :evil::evil::evil::wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2::evil::evil::evil:

you could always contact your training provider. When i first passed and was having teething problems i my training provider and talked through all the problems i was having and they gave me pointers to where i was going wrong. i then went and corrected these problems and my nails got better and i got more confident.

hth,

Jodie x x

I would also phone your original educator and explain the problems. You will find out there and then if they care about you and will spend their precious time lifting your confidence))

Dont get upset as it does not come overnight, keep practicing. Dont loose confidence. Persistence pays back big time.

I did one to one twice with CND, learned HUGE amount. All time is yours, all the attention is yours and it is really worth paying for those, because you really get much more for the price)

Good luck :D

Thanks Nataliya, Jodie and Jem. Guess the right answer is to speak to my original educator..... just think that she'd say - are you sure you're doing it all right like i showed you!! I guess I don't know until I try. I'll give her a ring tomorrow and see what she says, and hopefully get a call back from the Leicester CND lady - I left her a voicemail earlier so I can sort out some one to one - fingers crossed!!!

Hi have you googled young nails? they have videos on the site going through exactly how n why to apply l&p the ratio of l&p, prep n heaps more you dont have to use their product for it to give you a few tips! and its free :biggrin:

I know what you've been through , here are the main pointers that when I corrected them on what I was doing solved the issues you've mentioned.
Use a really good cuticle remover and make sure you clean it off thoroughly
get the mix ratio spot on ( I was working way too wet!)
when applying to the Zone 3 close to the cuticle but leaving 1-2mm gap, apply with brush a slight juddering motion rather like when you put on varnish,(not with a long sweep after,only when you put down the bead and squish near the cuticle)
Go back through Gigi's book and digest it I say this because when you are under pressure you skip some bits or not take them in and when you re read something a little later suddenly they make sense ( I hope this does) the information Is there!
I know this might sound funny but are you over using prep products? A good scrub with scrub fresh 5-6 seconds on each nail , do one complete hand at a time as the oils could reappear by the time you get to the next hand and I always use nail fresh ( too new and frightened not to use the nail fresh!)
I would definatly get a one-one with either your chosen company or a CND trainer

Let's not beat about the bush here ... you are having major problems that should not be happening. Things are not always down to bad PREP and I do get tired of always hearing bad PREP as the excuse .. it may not be bad prep at all ... there are many other reasons why product can lift.

Usually when product that has lifted all around the edges it means that you have touched the skin with your product .. your prep could be perfect, but if your product touches the skin around the nails in any place then lifting will occur there almost immediately and will look whitish, grayish in colour and will lead to the rest of the product de-bonding.

Another reason why product can lift around the edges is that you are a bit reluctant in that area to press the product firmly along the sides and eponychium. This is a common fault of those who are frightened to touch the skin with the product (cause they know it will lift) so become very tentative in those areas (so the product still lifts). Bummer isn't it?? Lots to learn.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to see you working to determine if it is something you are doing (or not doing). A 121 with a different educator (as clearly the one you went to first is not helping you to GET it) would be a good thing.

A CND 121 is just that .. you choose the amount of time you want to spend with the educator, book it, take a model and do a set in front of her (or even just a few nails) she will be able to tell you almost immediately what is wrong and how to correct the problem. Do it soon and get your mojo back !! :hug:

Geeg- you are right- I am indeed having major problems and I certainly don't pat the product down at all *blush*. I think that will be adding to the problems. The one to one with an educator definitely seems like the best idea. I am still waiting for the local CND lady to give me a call back, but sure she will soon enough. I will have to learn about how to work with the CND products as well but the technique seems to be a huge problem! I wish I'd learnt with CND!! Geeg- do you think coming to the event would help me in anyway, just to learn about other stuff too or is it best to just stick with the basics?!
Thanks for everyone elses advice, I know perseverance is the key- and I wanna crack this because I truly love doing nails and sure it'll be so rewarding once I do GET IT!!!!!
Ta for taking the time to read/reply *hug*

Let's not beat about the bush here ... you are having major problems that should not be happening. Things are not always down to bad PREP and I do get tired of always hearing bad PREP as the excuse .. it may not be bad prep at all ... there are many other reasons why product can lift.

Usually when product that has lifted all around the edges it means that you have touched the skin with your product .. your prep could be perfect, but if your product touches the skin around the nails in any place then lifting will occur there almost immediately and will look whitish, grayish in colour and will lead to the rest of the product de-bonding.

Another reason why product can lift around the edges is that you are a bit reluctant in that area to press the product firmly along the sides and eponychium. This is a common fault of those who are frightened to touch the skin with the product (cause they know it will lift) so become very tentative in those areas (so the product still lifts). Bummer isn't it?? Lots to learn.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to see you working to determine if it is something you are doing (or not doing). A 121 with a different educator (as clearly the one you went to first is not helping you to GET it) would be a good thing.

A CND 121 is just that .. you choose the amount of time you want to spend with the educator, book it, take a model and do a set in front of her (or even just a few nails) she will be able to tell you almost immediately what is wrong and how to correct the problem. Do it soon and get your mojo back !! :hug:

The EVENT this year will be spectacular and yes it is for anyone using any brand or at at any level !! There is a special break out for trouble shooting too which will be right up your street.

If you can manage it I would highly recommend it to you. It will be chock a'block with friendly lovely nail techs and not at all scary so if you can manage it financially, it will be WELL worth your while. :hug: It will be something you will not forget and you will learn HEAPS.

I am just trying to get an account with s2 sorted. My educator still hasn't sent my certificates through! With the event only being 20 minutes away it must be fate!! I'll be another of the billy no mates but hopefully I'll learn some stuff- i don't wanna keep feeling like I'm drowning and rubbish! Thanks geeg. Fingers crossed I can get some confirmation thru to s2 that I'm trained!

You'll have lots of mates within minutes including me! You've a few weeks to go to get the certs sorted.X

I am just trying to get an account with s2 sorted. My educator still hasn't sent my certificates through! With the event only being 20 minutes away it must be fate!! I'll be another of the billy no mates but hopefully I'll learn some stuff- i don't wanna keep feeling like I'm drowning and rubbish! Thanks geeg. Fingers crossed I can get some confirmation thru to s2 that I'm trained!

Hi Bezza,

It sounds like your getting lots of really good advice on the nail side of things so I'll leave that one to the nail experts (which I'm not).

I think that you need to lift your confidence in yourself also. Its so easy to get into a "what am I doing wrong" state of mind and then just constantly beat yourself up about it.....instead you should be focusing on look "what I'm doing" .

You were brave enough and had enough belief in yourself to take the plunge in the first place to start your own business and that in itself is an incredible feat. Don't forget that!

I find this video a fantastic motivator The Secret to You ::: Visualization Tool ::: Official Web Site of The Secret Movie Keep believing in yourself......:)

Jx

You'll have lots of mates within minutes including me! You've a few weeks to go to get the certs sorted.X

I have booked into TroubleShooting session at the Event))) I want my MOJO energized))) Gigi i actually started crossing out days on the calendar:cool: till the Event))))

Well, anything to do with S2 is so fingerlicking sweet, that you will be there at The Event ))) And when you are - grab me - I will contribute to you Mojo, darling))) :D

Latest posts

Back