Tricky customer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxiwoo

Reaction score
A little advice needed please. I have a customer who is turning out to be a bit cheeky. I did a facial for her then a week later put a facial with free back massage on as a special promotion. She rang me and asked for her free back massage! I explained it was luck of the draw as to what I was promoting month to month and someone would always be disappointed. She begrudgingly accepted this. Then she ordered some Neals Yard products through my website link and then called me to say she wasn't happy she'd had to pay for p&p as thought it was free. I told her I would be happy to deduct the p&p from her next treatment as a good will gesture which made her happy (still felt a bit guilty about the previous issue I guess). Today I have put out a crazy offer for tomorrow of a half price shoulder, face & scalp massage to which she called me to ask if I could add 5 mins free to do her upper back. Is it me or does anyone think she's taking the proverbial? I'm honestly fuming inside as feel that she's really cheapening what I do - if I was a physio or chiropractor would she ask for these freebies? I work from home so maybe she doesn't take me seriously? I've been told by many clients that I am the best they've had when it comes to massage & facials which is a massive complement. My dilemma is this girl is friends with my neighbour who is a very devoted customer. If it wasn't for her I think I'd tell this girl not to contact me again. What do you guys think? I'm actually not looking forward to seeing her tomorrow as I wear my heart on my sleeve so will have to put on my best Oscar winning performance.

The offer is the offer. Like you said there will always be someone disappointed but if she's that concerned then maybe she shouldn't pre book and should wait for the offers! Toughen up because it's not fair if you give her special treatments, what about all your other clients who don't ask for freebies! If every single client asked for a freebie you wouldn't give it! Xxx

Hi maxiwoo, do you post your offers in advance on your website? Or on the day? There is nothing stopping her keeping an eye on your weekly/daily offers
We've all bought something from a shop on the hight street at full price and the next week it's on sale and yes, we have a Chunt about it being typical blah blah but hay! S%#T happens we don't go back in thT shop wanting them to refund the difference, you are no different, you are a professional offering a professional service, it may pay her to realise that
Be strong, chin up, chest out and stand ya ground :)

This is the problem with doing offers hence why I recommend not doing them. If clients say your the best (which is fantastic of course) why cheapen it with an offer? And 50% is a hell of a lot.

This is a big part why we don't do offers. We have many lovely clients and I would feel horrible giving a new client a special offer yet a client that orders regularly happened to order a week previously and didn't get the offer and I think they would have the right to be a bit upset.

My goodness she's got more front than I don't know what! She's taking the P and with clients like that you have to learn to say "no, sorry!", she'll get the message in the end. Maybe next time you see her explain the reasons behind special offers, which I'm guessing is to get more clients / work in.

I did a special offer in November as it's always a quiet month for me it was a full body massage with a free express facial. My thoughts behind it were 1. Good offer get more people in 2. To get people to experience the facial and hopefully encourage them to purchase the products and it worked, however I had one client when the offer was over ask if she had this regularly could she always have it at this discounted price! My answer was very honest "this offer was a loss leader to get people to try my facials and hopefully like the products, the offer wasn't one that I could or would want to sustain it was a good offer for you but not so good for me as it wasn't making me much money". She was happy with that answer and now books in regularly for both on different days.

Hi maxiwoo, do you post your offers in advance on your website? Or on the day? There is nothing stopping her keeping an eye on your weekly/daily offers
We've all bought something from a shop on the hight street at full price and the next week it's on sale and yes, we have a Chunt about it being typical blah blah but hay! S%#T happens we don't go back in thT shop wanting them to refund the difference, you are no different, you are a professional offering a professional service, it may pay her to realise that
Be strong, chin up, chest out and stand ya ground :)

Off topic but having worked in retail before being in beauty you have no idea how many people do this so frustrating!

Stop doing offers as they attract stingy one off clients that rarely become regulars.

Sack that client!

Try to laugh it off with a comment like "you'll be having me cook your dinner too, soon my lovely" or "Oh I couldn't possible go any lower, how do you expect me to pay for my Caribbean cruise next summer?" But don't give in.
I agree with Kim about the offers. Can you try another way of getting people through the door?

Thx for all your answers and advice. Tbh all my customers are lovely - she's the only one so far. Only reason I did silly offer was cos I lost a days work at very short notice and needed money fast and it worked - I got lots of take up and everyone was happy. Tricky customer ended up bringing a friend so it was a double whammy - she was very nice to me and I just smiled sweetly. I think giving advice about not doing offers depends on individual situations - I'm a home salon with no passing footfall and not long started so building my clientele. I tend to only do offers on treatments that arent popular - as previous lady said this is a good way to give people a taster. When people are beating down my door and I have more customers than I can deal with then I will stop the offers. Worked in marketing for 20 yrs so kinda know what I'm doing lol. Sometimes putting on a crazy offer does work and certainly worked for me today - i earned my lost salary as opposed to a big fat zero. It's just cheeky customers I gotta get tough to.

Latest posts

Back