Tricky situation-not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flickaroo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping for some advice.
A lady who owns a hairdressers down the road from us brought her 2 daughters in before Christmas for shellac. She is herself also quite a regular customer for massage and waxing.
Anyway 2 and a half weeks later (this week) she emailed me saying that the shellac only lasted a couple of days and she's been too busy to contact me sooner.
I apologised and said that she should have let us know sooner as we would have been more than happy to fix them, but appreciated she may have been busy. And I have added £5 worth of loyalty points to her account by way of apology, I told her this in the email. I didn't feel that I should offer them both a full free set of shellac as it was so long after their appointment. But I did send a really nice email apologising, I know £5 isn't much....she already had £15 on there so boosted it to £20.
Anyway I didn't hear anything back. And she has now told approached one of my staff members, asking her to do her treatments at home! She said to her that she doesn't want to put anymore money back into my business!
I'm annoyed that she is going to my therapists and not to me if she isn't happy with how it's been dealt with.
I kind of want to stand my ground but also she is a business owner and so I don't want to annoy her too much and get a bad reputation?!
What would you do?!

As a business owner I think she should understand your situation. I would contact her again and tell her you're sorry to hear that she's not happy, explain your predicament in her terms - what would she do if a client called after two weeks to say her hair colour had faded after two days, then ask her what she would like and if you can reach a compromise.
I would explain how you value her custom and keep putting it in terms of hairdressing so she can see it from your point of view.
If she still doesn't get it just offer her a free massage or something (that won't cost you anything).
If you have to lose her as a client then explain that you think it's very unprofessional as a fellow business owner to approach your staff directly when she would know it's breaking the terms of their contract and putting her in a very awkward position - then you won't have to worry about her ruining your reputation as you're in a position to do the same to her.

Thank you for your reply.
I just feel really reluctant to give her anything for free as I don't think we did anything wrong ! It was 2 different therapists, not even the same therapist that was maybe missing a pep step or maybe a faulty lamp.
I don't know what she expects after telling me 2.5 weeks later!

I just feel really reluctant to give her anything for free as I don't think we did anything wrong ! It was 2 different therapists, not even the same therapist that was maybe missing a pep step or maybe a faulty lamp.

Tbh in your answer here your saying it could maybe be a faulty lamp or one of your therapists hasn't done the correct proceeded for the treatment - that itself would be your salon at fault not the customer. Even though she has only just contacted you to let you know, it's been the xmas period and you know as many others do people have lots going on and she maybe thought you wouldn't have been able to fit them in again before the new year - I would have redone the two daughters FOC x

Roughly how old are her daughters?

beautyxperts
Actually she is saying that as it was 2 different therapists that gave the treatments it is NOT likely to be a missed step, dodgy lamp etc.. so there doesn't seem to be any fault from the salon that she can tell.

We never know what clients do with their nails once they leave us and most of the time it is something they have done that causes any issues, if we are told quickly we can look at the nails and assess the situation but after 2 and a half weeks it is time for the nails to be redone and there is no way I'd be offering free services without seeing the damaged nails and questioning to see what happened. We can't go about giving away free sets of nails for no reason, even if the clients were recommended or brought in by a very good spending, regular client.

I would ask the client you have given £5 to, if her problem has been resolved to her satisfaction, when she says no (she should say no if she's complained to your employee) ask her what it is that she feels you have not done or have done wrong & how she would like to resolve the issue, if she asks for 2 free sets then you can state you have a policy of needing to see any damage ASAP & that it will be hard to get an accurate picture of what happened as too much time has passed.
If the sets of nails are still on, offer to take a look at them but making it clear that they should have come to you with these issues much sooner (I doubt the nails will still be on now & this means it's impossible to check them). Explain that as you've used products & time to do these services and can find no fault in their services so there is nothing more you can do.

She's saying it was 2 different therapists who did them . So couldn't be a faulty lamp as 2 differed ones were used . I also agree 2 weeks later is 2 to late as only lasts upto 14 days anyway . Would not offer a freebie

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Roughly how old are her daughters?

The eldest is 16 so I'm guessing the other is maybe 14?
For girls of this age we pretty much always discourage the parent from letting them have shellac done.
Purely because girls of this age are likely to pick and not look after them.
We did on this occasion do her daughters as it was Christmas and their mum is a regular and local business owner.
Yes it was 2 different therapists, 2 different lamps yet she is saying both of them found it didn't last the week.

Oooo I really hate confrontation and this sort of thing!
If she had contacted me a few days later, or at least within that week I would have been more than happy to fix them free of charge. She often contacts us through Facebook and has been on there over Xmas, so if she was that angry, why not send us a message?!

Last edited:
We have had a problem like this but not with a business owner just a client who came in 3 weeks after her first appt and said "oh after 3days they had all chipped" she was def expecting a freebie but I told her if that was the case she should have called to inform us straight away and we could have fixed them but now the treatment would still incur the usual charge. I could tell she was a but peeved but I felt that if I had allowed her to have them done free or reduced she would have tried this on all the time!
We have a notice on all of the nail bars now stating that any breakages / chipping within 10days call and let us know ASAP so we can rectify but anything further on than that will incur a charge and have had no comebacks like this since.

beautyxperts
Actually she is saying that as it was 2 different therapists that gave the treatments it is NOT likely to be a missed step, dodgy lamp etc.. so there doesn't seem to be any fault from the salon that she can tell.

We never know what clients do with their nails once they leave us and most of the time it is something they have done that causes any issues, if we are told quickly we can look at the nails and assess the situation but after 2 and a half weeks it is time for the nails to be redone and there is no way I'd be offering free services without seeing the damaged nails and questioning to see what happened. We can't go about giving away free sets of nails for no reason, even if the clients were recommended or brought in by a very good spending, regular client.

I would ask the client you have given £5 to, if her problem has been resolved to her satisfaction, when she says no (she should say no if she's complained to your employee) ask her what it is that she feels you have not done or have done wrong & how she would like to resolve the issue, if she asks for 2 free sets then you can state you have a policy of needing to see any damage ASAP & that it will be hard to get an accurate picture of what happened as too much time has passed.
If the sets of nails are still on, offer to take a look at them but making it clear that they should have come to you with these issues much sooner (I doubt the nails will still be on now & this means it's impossible to check them). Explain that as you've used products & time to do these services and can find no fault in their services so there is nothing more you can do.

Ah I see, I thought the op was stating it she thought it Could be a faulty lamp/ missed prep step - hence I would have thought it was the salon at fault.
If not then their ages of 14 & 16 more than likely haven't followed any aftercare, maybe even picked them - but who knows when client have gone home what they are doing.
Approaching your staff members is not good either, especially when she is a salon owner too, even hair I'm sure she wouldn't be happy if it happened to her.
If they've removed the product already then there isn't really much you can do than what you already have, although I would send a polite email or phone call so she knows you are aware she's approached your staff members - at least they told you too, that shows they are loyal to you. Sorry it's happened, it's not nice x

What a crock of ****e, saying I was to busy to call you. A phone call takes 2 minutes.
Folk will lie to get a discount or a freebie.

Some people don't like to upset anyone, and that's what these type of people prey upon. Tell her to jog on..... Over 2 weeks after treatment! :evil:

My friend has a business card printed with the various terms and conditions, after treatments and how to look after what ever you have just had done.. These can be bought quite cheaply, a 1000 will only cost £50. After what ever treatment they have had, she gives the clients one of these cards. Then they can't say she hasn't had one or they don't know what the t&c are.
I keep saying I'll do what she does as I do think it's a good idea.

I understand that you may be worried that she'll bad mouth your salon but you can't live in fear of others all your life; especially bullies. I've heard similar stories where salons are afraid of being slated on social media...........so what! Just go back and speak the truth and defend yourself.

You've made her an offer and if she decides not to take it then just let it go. She may slate you to her clients but if they're that narrow minded that they don't judge for themselves then you don't need them. Everybody has fingers so there are enough new clients out there.

We learn a lesson from every situation so maybe this is the time to add to your website 'If you're at all unhappy with your Shellac just pop back in or send a photo within 3 days and we'll put it right for you at no charge'. I don't know how long you guarantee your Shellac for so change the 3 days to whatever you feel is appropriate.

Don't worry!

What a crock of ****e, saying I was to busy to call you. A phone call takes 2 minutes.

Folk will lie to get a discount or a freebie.

Some people don't like to upset anyone, and that's what these type of people prey upon. Tell her to jog on..... Over 2 weeks after treatment! :evil:

My friend has a business card printed with the various terms and conditions, after treatments and how to look after what ever you have just had done.. These can be bought quite cheaply, a 1000 will only cost £50. After what ever treatment they have had, she gives the clients one of these cards. Then they can't say she hasn't had one or they don't know what the t&c are.

I keep saying I'll do what she does as I do think it's a good idea.

I've also made up cards with aftercare and also info about my policy with chipped/lifting nails etc. if it's their first time I still go through the info verbally but if you give them the card as well you know that you've covered all grounds.

Plus you can put your logo on it with your phone number/email etc and hope it encourages them to rebook with you :)

To the OP - hope it gets sorted but I would've dealt with it the same as you!

On the plus lol - you have a nice honest trustworthy member of staff who told you about her being asked to do treatments at home - its lovely to know you have honest people around you

I had someone like this telling me weeks after that her shellac didn't last. By the time she told me, if she was lying then they'd all be off anyway by then. I just told her politely that I would have replaced the ones that had come off when it had happened. I'm not even sure I gave her a discount on her next appointment.
Thing is, I'm all for putting customers first and going above and beyond to keep them happy, but if you did this for everyone then you'd make no money! And I know it's not nice but unfortunately I have learnt in this line of work, some clients do take the pi** quite a bit!!
I think adding £5 loyalty points to their account was enough and if she wasn't happy with it she should of come back to you and told you that. xx

My salon has a shellac/gel-polish policy which we tell every client after every service: if anything goes wrong within a week, we'll fix it FOC. Anything beyond that, we charge for. I had a client once call to tell me that her shellac started chipping and lifting 2 days after. I asked her to come in so it could be looked after, but she claimed to not have time until 2 weeks later. When I asked her to email me photos of the damage, she "didn't know how to take photos with her phone."

Bottom line, some people are jerks.

Latest posts

Back