Trying to get new clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wattsl

Reaction score
Hi, I had an idea to get new customers, care homes, however, i'm having real trouble getting my foot in the door. I've tried printing out posters and asking for them to be displayed in the homes but i've had no response and this was a few months ago now. I'm now thinking of writing a letter addressed to the manager along with a poster, does anyone think this will work? Oh I'm offering massage, reflexology and manicures & pedicures, any advice anyone can offer would be great. thank you x

Hi, I'm thinking that the best people to ask are the residents of the care homes (and their family/friends) rather than the management. Do you know anyone in a care home as a place to start? I used to see people in care homes when I owned a salon and it was quite a good avenue - but it was the patients I needed to approach and not the management because they dictated what they thought the patients should think. That said, you want management on board, but if you get the support of the residents in the care homes first, the management should follow. Hope this is helpful.

This isnt a bad idea. However the problem lies in that care homes are relatively safe places, ie people from the street cant just wander in. If they let you in to do treatments, they are in essence condoning and vouching for you. If you them steal something (we all know you wouldnt) then the care home may be liable. I know theres nothing stopping visitors form patients stealing, bt they have to limit the possibility as much as they can. If i had a care home i wouldnt take the risk, what with the current compenastion culture and all that!

Many years ago when my children where small I had a few Nursing homes I visited and it was marvellous, I could take the children sometimes with me and the residents loved that. The thing with nursing homes once a hairdresser gets her foot in the door they will hang on to the job because it is so good. Just keep knocking on doors and when one looses a hairdresser they will know who to contact. I am still trying to get back in there. Good luck.

I never thought of that we have a care home 5 mins from the salon might offer our services once a week fortnight to the care home!

One things jumps out of at me about your post. From what I've read I don't think you've phoned them or gone into visit them. Apologies if I have misread but if you haven't called I would definitely do that asap. hth x

Thanks for all the replies, I have tried going into the homes, but it's really hard to speak to anyone in charge, so have just left posters with nurses asking for them to please pop them on the notice board. I havent tried ringing so will give that a go, and will keep trying, thanks again x

Thanks, i did pop in but really hard to speak to any management, so you end up taking to whoever opens the door, i'll try ringing, thanks xx

Let us know how you get on.

When you do go ask to speak to the Matron or manager or actually make an appointment with them. Or post a letter and your literature addressed to them.

Thanks i will, hadn't thought of the Matron xx

If you cant get to speak to the person in charge, get an e-maill address. I recently made a few calls locally to get some interest in a charity event and while on the phone asked about offering mini manicures. Just a tidy, file and polish to the residents but most of the local care homes have their staff do this for the residents. (It was very easy to get the e-mail address and at least the recipient will be able to concentrate on the information whilst going through their mails rather than having to cut you short because they are busy) They do get hairdressers in though, so don't give up. Also approach local WI or places where you know older people go, clubs, tea dancing places etc.

I have been thinking of doing the same and maybe visiting once a month on a pre- determined date.

Let us know how you get on

Latest posts

Back