Two Day Nail Courses...your Opinion!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HappyHands said:
oh please don,t be picking on me, i never said i was a pro , infact i said that i needed more training but i also needed experiance, how am i ever going to get experiance unless i have the help of a few more hands and a few more teachers, you all seem to make it sound as if i have done the biggest cardinal sin, I admit that i don,t count for everyone that has done a 2 day course but as i am the only one on this thread and it seems to me as if i am the only one you are picking on..:sad:

Hi Liz,

No-ones picking on you ( or I hope they are not :hug: ) it's just there are an awful lot of these courses flying around and they are telling their students that they are readu to unleash themselves on the paying public ;)

My first course was a complete waste of money. Never knew about this site or about company's like Creative or Ezflow. I found out this week that at last Ezflow now have an educator in Norwich (means I can book some 1-2-1 training at last).

If you are passionate about nails and you want to keep learning, you will do well. Chin upxxxxxxx

Hey, nobody's picking on you.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Personally I don't think 4,5,6................ day courses are enough !

I remember the first day of the Creative Foundation course, I was excited but also terrified! Being let loose to fit a tip on I was ready to walk out. How I got through those days I will never know, there was so many there that I felt was so much better than me and my first set was like concrete and thick and lumpy.

I have persevered and love doing nails but still get nervous with new clients but I think that stops me being cocky and ensures that I do a thorough job.

I have completed the nvq and still go back for training and open days whenever I can but will not think of myself as a professional until I can do consistant sets in 90mins with no problems. Long way from that !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Liz babe... I don't for one minute think that anyone was picking on you, I hope not anyway :hug:

when we start out on our journey (to be a nail tech) some of us take different directions...
I took a short route and found out that it wasn't the best one, but the good thing is "I found out"...
I chose to take another direction and now I feel I can continue on my way...
my personal destination is to be the best nail tech that I can be, I'm sure there are loads of other techs with the same "route-problem" that a lot of us experience, the good ones will get to their personal destination, no matter how long it takes them or from whatever location they started.

xxx

I agree that this sort of profession there are always things to learn and improve on. I enjoyed my foundation course with creative although it was costly and there is still so much to learn, the short courses are convienient to a lot of people's lifestyles. I havent got the time to go part time to college as i need to earn a fulltime wage. anyway since I have passed the foundation level. there have been people expecting you to know and do everything from acrylics to manicures even if it was a 4 day course, which is impossible!

What a fantastic thread! I could stay on this one for days :D

But, it's late, I've been working silly hours, so, breath.....and.....smile :confused:

Without going into the 4th version of the text book, I have 2 points to make:

This industry is still relatively new and finding it's feet in the education stakes. It's not right yet but it's going the right way. The very worst situation now (that hasn't moved on from years ago) are the training providers that offer very short courses with the encouragement that "you are now a technician and can charge friends, family and the whole world a fortune for your services". That is NOT true.

The second is that I absolutley agree with Geeg. The 'real' ones will make it and be very comfortable, thank you. The 'cheapskates' will disappear!

The only addition I will make is that, 'nails' are so up and coming and the biggest growth industry in the 'services' that the 'cheapskates' will make their little mark on the negative side (always more popular than the positive) before they disappear.

A good technician needs to put in the graft (and usually the cash) at the beginning and then accept that it is a lifetime of learning (and some more cash investment). It is not a game ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post Marian.This is a subject very close to my heart hence why i started the thread.I wanted to know the general opinion of those in the industry.I am really hoping that at some point in the future there will be some type of legalisation where nail techs offering treatments on the public will have to be trained to a certain level before they are let lose.I think its a real concern that you can do a two day nail course than go and open your own nail salon.Although i'm in the very early stages,fingers so crossed,of opening a salon myself i have included into my budget training.I believe learning is a life long experience.

Liz,i'm sure no one was picking on you.If you read my first post you'll see i was a little cautious on posting it because i know many people have strong views which is quite common when we are all so passionate about this industry.I'm sure you have the right attuide to your training,its just some people won't.I will find a two day nail course all they need to know for the rest of their career.I know thats not you honey.x

Sorry guys about getting on that high horse again.. but i am ssooooo passionate about what i do and how i do it... i just want you all to know that i KNOW i am no pro and that there will be no salon for a good few years, i really want to go out there and train train train cos there is sssoooo much to learn.... thanks for all your votes of confidence ;)

Hiya all

I have read this thread with interest, my personal opinion is short courses or foundation courses are there to give you the basics and it is up to you to go off and built on them. Education is very important but nothing can beat practical experience. If you can go off and have the confidence and finance to open a Salon and persevere with it and it becomes a success then good on you!

I personally put a thread on here not so long ago "How long did it take you..." and geeg put a post on saying she started her business 3 months after she started doing nails and she admitted although she did'nt know a lot about nails back then she learnt on the job. I know you need to be educated on how to follow the correct procedure and techniques in doing nails but its the practical experience that will get you to where you want to be. Nothing have educate you more than mistakes!

I know that if I had the confidence and felt that I could product a reasonably good set of nail that stayed on for 2 weeks and the client was happy then I would open a salon tomorrow!

Onwards and Upwards!!(hopefully!!)

Tamzin
--xx--

Hiya,

I did a 2 day course with a lady called Debi Allison in 2000. she was Creative trained and an instructor with 16 years experience. She is also an NVQ assesor for ANT. The course covered Gel and fibre glass, we were recommended to do these first as liquid and powder are more difficult to master. She was right, as when i went back a year later for my L&P she told me that i would absolutely hate doing it , but once i'd mastered it I would'nt want to use any thing else.
I feel that i had good training and was very confident when i had finished the course. Debi even passed on clients to me when she was full.
Not every one is as confident as i was to get out there straight away. a lot of people need more time. We are all different, and five years on i'm lovin it:D .

Cobweb x x x x x x x

Hi louise,

I am a new geek and have just started a city and guilds course in manicure and pedicure at college as a mature student. I always had bio sculpture gels done by a fantastic girl, and had to miss one appointment with her so a somebody came to my home to do my infills. (which peeled and lifted within a week!)

I told her that I was interested in beauty and nails, and she suggested I do a three day course with a company, get my box and bits and get going!!

The whole thing is really frightening as people are actually able to do this!!!!!!

Could you give me some advice as to which course I should look for once I have got my city and guilds qualification, as I want to learn everything from scratch, and do all the training properly, eventually focussing on the Bio Sculpture gel.

thanks for your help

mel

cobweb said:
Hiya,

I did a 2 day course with a lady called Debi Allison in 2000. she was Creative trained and an instructor with 16 years experience. She is also an NVQ assesor for ANT. The course covered Gel and fibre glass, we were recommended to do these first as liquid and powder are more difficult to master. She was right, as when i went back a year later for my L&P she told me that i would absolutely hate doing it , but once i'd mastered it I would'nt want to use any thing else.
I feel that i had good training and was very confident when i had finished the course. Debi even passed on clients to me when she was full.
Not every one is as confident as i was to get out there straight away. a lot of people need more time. We are all different, and five years on i'm lovin it:D .

Cobweb x x x x x x x
When I enquired with Creative they didn't have any trainers in Norwich. Is she Creative trained or under the umbrella of Creative trainers?

plaoh said:
When I enquired with Creative they didn't have any trainers in Norwich. Is she Creative trained or under the umbrella of Creative trainers?

Hi, debi does'nt educate for Creative today, i dont know about in the past as she has been doing and teaching for 20 od years now. she is now an educator with ANT. you can find her number in Nails plus and Scratch i think. or yell.com

cobweb x x

wow so many replys to this post! people obviously have very strong opinions, i agree with alot of them that after 2-3 days of training you cant call yourself qualified i was unfortunately one of those who has completed two 2day courses (one 2day course on manicure + silk/fiberglass and one 2 day course on L&P)these were with Millenium and both on a 1-2-1 basis however i was very nieve b4 finding this site and stupidly thought i would be 'qualified'!!!!

I have now decided from studying this site that the best option would be to do creative courses (peeps agree with that???)

i am a student at uni doing geography! another subject i have a passion for. this means that £ is a problem for me at the min as is time! so neway i left my courses thinking gr8 get flyers done etc start mobile straight away!! now i think im going to work word of mouth for a few months try and get peeps who know im still training and ask them to pay a little like £10-£15 for a set of nails (ave to cover costs) after a few months mayb January Feb time when i feel more confident than i could start advertising as mobile and charge a little more to help save up for my creative courses.

Does that sound reasonable???? wud appreciate some feedback as am new, and respect the expertise of experienced nail tecs! thanx :o

louisenewell said:
Hi all,
A issue which really gets me "going into one" is two day nail courses.Now i'm going to be careful here because i really don't want to offend anyone...so here goes...

What do you think of two day nail courses?have you done one?did you feel competent after?Is it unfair to call yourself a nail tech and operate as one after such a short course?Can you really learn all the theory about nails,diseases etc on one of these courses?

Is it a case of "depends on the indivdual?",we all learn at different rates,some of us maybe born to do nails!!

I ask because the number of clients who have taken an interest in this profession whilst i have been doing a treatment.Personally i done the nvq in manicure and pedicure before i done my nvq in nail extensions.I'm not saying i know every thing about nails(god..i wish!!!lol) just that this was really through and everything had to be up to a certain standard.I don't feel i got the best from college and wish i had just knew of creative before hand.

But i do feel really cheated when i hear of/meet people that have done a two day nail course then go and open a shop or assume two days makes you a nail tech.

Only now can i say i could produce a nice set of nails.There not fantastic...but ask me the same question next year?

I really hope my thread hasn't offended anyone,i know i have offended someone before on this subject.But i'd really like to know what you think of this express nail education programme!!???
I dont think much of them at all to be truthfull. You cant learn in one weekend all you need to know about nails and do the job properly if you ask me. I think they are a joke and delusioned if anyone thinks they can learn nails in just one weekend, what a laugh. Ive been doing nails into my sixth year now, and Ive only just felt comfortable in myself saying, Yea I do good nails. You are always learning as you go along. Just because someone gives you a certificate saying you are qualified to go out and do nails, dont mean you got the experience. That takes time, not 48 hours in a weekend. So thats what I think.

there have been quite a lot of opinions on this thread, which is fab :D
there is one thing that stands out to me in most of replies... and that is... that ongoing education and experience is the way to go if any of us want to produce good nails that we can be proud of.

I did a 4 day course with NSI which had 2 weeks practise inbetween getting ready for the exams. It was intense and it was good, but I myself feel it wasn't long enough for the practise side of things so it is just practise, practise, and lots more practise after that! I am not ruling out more courses in the future...I love training so will constantly want to be learning new techniques etc! I also plan to do the Creative conversion course sometime next year...and then take everything as it comes...xxx

Hi Guys,
This is quite an issue. When a person decides they want to train as nail tec they should look at their options. What training is available and can they get insurance after the course? Obviously cost may come into it too. There are many courses out there and many different training providers both good and bad colleges included!

It would be wise to check the reputation of the training provider, don't be afraid to ask. Have a look around the facilities and talk to the tutors who are delivering the course. The new N.V.Q. standards in Nail Services levels 2&3 offer a full eductational experience looking at all the nail systems, art work and natural nail care. Alongside this you should gain knowledge regarding health and saftey issues, anatomy and physiology, diseases, disorders, hygiene, sales, team work and reception (although this is an optional unit), airbrushing, 3D art, embedding techniques and business studies e.c.t. How can you learn that in a couple of days?

My college has it's own nail studio and a dedicated team of highly trained professional nail tecs who have many years experience in the nail industry and the teaching profession. If anyone enquired about doing a course with us I would invite them in for an interview and tell them exactely what they can expect to learn. I would also take them on a tour of the building so they could see the facitlites and talk to current students if they wished.

Over the last college year I have notice that many of the nail companies are wanting to work with us. Creative, N.S.I., supernail and Ezflow have all offered their services for demonstrations and some are even offering their day courses so the students can be trained and certificated in college with their product. I think this is wonderful experience for the students as they can try out the products in college and make an informed choice of which they want to work with when they qualify. Also it is a great marketing tool for the companies.

On a final note if you know anyone who wants to train as a nail tec get them to check out the info on this fab site!
icon14.gif

hugs
Beverley b
Wigan & Leigh College
(Habia nail servies forum)

crystals said:
hi caz, no just what you mean. and with it being this time of the year all i ever say is, that things will have to weight till after xmas. xx

Come on Girls we are made of tougher stuff than this!!

I took a 6 month course at the City College in Brighton after looking at the 2 day and 4 day courses at all the usual places but learning a subject and going to school is all part of the ambiance of learning a new technic, (sorry if spelling is terrible) lol ...
I gave up a very good job to go back to school and knew at that point it was all about preparing to open my own business .. I did Manicure & Pedicure VTCT & Nail Enhancements VTCT ...
Life is about learning and none of us can know everything ! Since finding this site and you lot my confidence has gone through the roof ...
My business has now been going since April 2005 which i know is not very long but everyday i learn something new whether it be from all of you or just through trying new things out i now rent a space in a hairdressers that has been established for 12 years ... I tend to gain all of my clients through talking and chatting and always work in a uniform as this single's us Nail Tech's out ...
Whilst work pal's all work in there normal clothes... whilst my clients are waiting for there colour to develope i get in there and provide them with something to do instead of reading those boring out of date magazines !!

Thanks everyone for the support you have provided me with I only found you a couple of weeks ago and already feel like one of the family !!

Just don't be scared there is a BIG WIDE WORLD OUT THERE and plenty of terrible feet and nails to go round if being a Nail Tech is your passion then that is where your journey will take you but there are sacrifices... But the rewards are great... I was talking to some one today about business, this is a low cost investment to start up but the real investment is your time that you put in to build your clients...

;) Thanks again Girls ....where do you get the lovely logo's with your names on ?
Fuller Nails...

Latest posts

Back