Underarm wax question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea27

Reaction score
When you do an underarms wax, do you divide the area into two sections only? That's how I was trained, but when I do an underarm wax on men, I struggle a bit to do it in just two sections.
The person I did today was pretty hairy so I decided to do it in 4 sections but it took much longer than it should for an underarm wax.
What's your technique please and is it wrong to do it in more than 2 sections?

No there is no set way, I normally tend to do it in 2 sections by halving the underarm horizontally,I know that when I wax my sister's underarms they have at least 3 different growth patterns so I do it in 3 sections. So it varies with different people xx

With underarms you have to do what you have to do. Hair growth in this area is simple on some and mad on others and each person will be different. It is not always possible to do in 2 sections and sometimes will only need one.

Training is not hard and fast, we have to adapt and you will find some of your own quirks to help you along. Do what is best for the client, it shouldn't really take much longer than messing about trying to do the 2 sections and finding them difficult :D

So how long does it take you to an underarm wax? This one took me about 20minutes and I thought that's a bit long.

Also, my client complained about the wax being too hot. I use Perron Rigot and have a Hive wax heater which was set on 3. I always have it set on this temperature. He found it really hot. Is it just that some clients are more sensitive to heat?

Was this your first time waxing him ? How long has does it normally take you for a u/a wax?

It again really varies client to client, some times if the area is really small it can take 5 minutes, if it's slightly more compliated 20.
With client wax temp again it's your clients sensitivity, I always tend to test it on my self first x

No, I wax him regularly. He always complains it's too hot. I always check the temperature and make sure it's fine.
I guess he is just very sensitive.
Normally an underarm wax takes me about 5-10minutes.

Andrea,
With male waxing its very much swings and roundabouts for all body parts. Like you I do an underarm wax for most clients in a a few minutes and every now and again you get a client who has a lot more hair or has been shaving etc so it can take a bit longer..

Some people can be more heat sensitive than others. Also as hes a regular client then clearly hes perhaps just a little sensitive , I have a few clients that are real wimps about the wax temperature even though I know its fine and I have checked it.

When I use analogue I have my hive heater set at about 2.5 - 3 .. for my non strip waxes and thats a perfect working temperature for me. But with this muggy weather room temperatures vary so Im always tweaking my wax pots accordingly.

Jack

Thank you to all of you for your really helpful replies.

The way I was taught is that I depends on the way the hair grows I use hot/hard wax and if the hair grow in 4 different directions on one underarm then I do 4 sections if it's 3 on the other then I only need to do 3 also if it's a new client I tend to ease them into it and do a small section first as I find clients are nervous about their underarms as they think it's more sensitive.

hey hun it just depends on the clients hair growth in the area might find some clients it can be done in two sections others in three or four just depends in the different directions of growth and how erratic the hair growth is as long is the way is applied with the growth and removed against the growth then you aredoing it correctly:D

Can I jump on here? I too have problems with underarm waxing, not so much with how many sections. i was taught 2 as well but i tend to look at the hair growth and take it from there.

I would say that a male client probably has a lot more hair so doing it in four sections would seem pretty reasonable to me but I've never done a male underarm wax.

The main problem I have with waxing the underarm is that on some clients the hair just does not lift out, and the small bits that DO lift out leave a lot of blood spotting. i just assumed the hair was too coarse or too short. Is that the case? Or is my technique totally messed up??

I don't do sections, I start from one side to the other and go in whatever direction the hair is in. I think underarms are crazy. Had a lady who needed lots if sections as her hair went in all sorts of spirals. Takes me anything between 5&15 mins.
Also some might not come out, get the teasers on those odd ones!!x

I don't do sections, I start from one side to the other and go in whatever direction the hair is in. I think underarms are crazy. Had a lady who needed lots if sections as her hair went in all sorts of spirals. Takes me anything between 5&15 mins.
Also some might not come out, get the teasers on those odd ones!!x

Oh yeah we were told that at college but...one lady I waxed recently MOST of them didn't come out, about half, with blood spotting and the rest were tehre. And I mean...like badly because it looked like nothing had been waxed even though there was a bucketload on the wax strip. And we were taught not to wax a second time because it would damage the skin so I apologised and took teh cost of the u/arm off her treatment because I couldn't finish it!!

Oh yeah we were told that at college but...one lady I waxed recently MOST of them didn't come out, about half, with blood spotting and the rest were tehre. And I mean...like badly because it looked like nothing had been waxed even though there was a bucketload on the wax strip. And we were taught not to wax a second time because it would damage the skin so I apologised and took teh cost of the u/arm off her treatment because I couldn't finish it!!

Try doing smaller sections then. Even if it's 8 sections at least they are all gone x

I divide the hair if it grows in totally different directions, but if it's generally all in the one direction, I apply in the direction of the majority of the hair growth. Also, if or example it grows in as S shape, then I apply my hot wax in an S shape and remove it in an S shape.

Latest posts

Back