Unhappy with training - what should I do next? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilly01

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just done a week course with Salon Systems covering all systems and am not entirely happy with what I paid out for. We didn't cover infills or sculpturing (despite this being written in our course description). I have my assessment on Tuesday and I will be speaking to my educator about it (if I email / call her, it always takes a week to get a response so I'll wait a few days more!).

I'm not confident in working with paying clients at the mo and want to become educated in another system but am not sure which route to take for the best.

I've contacted CND who ask for 6 months experience in L+P and someone has recommended Bio Sculpture. Then I've read that Calgel is stronger than Bio and not as expensive, then Young Nails has also been thrown into the equasion. Arrrggghhh I just don't know which route to take for the best! How did you all decide who to train with and which products to use?

I'm really really really confused and just want to get creative with nails, but I just don't know which way to turn! Please help - any advise is welcomed!

What are you not happy with? It will take lots of practice to get where you want to be, changing systems is fine but the application will be roughly the same with any of them, I use Young Nails and did all my L&P training with them and have been really happy, ok so my first sets were pants but they def get better along with your timings. Speak with your tutor and make a list of questions before you see her as you will forget things to ask, lol. hth. Claire x

The problem is hun you are trying to learn all systems all at once which is unrealistic in my opinion, you need to choose which system you want to work with and perfect the application of it and then move on to another system, I would definitely have a word with your trainer, these "ALL IN" courses is normally a taster into the nails, you need to practice more, buy yourself a nail trainer hun, best piece of kit ever invented lol, as for Biosculpture/Calgel they are very similiar and both are expensive, when your new to nails you think you need everything and anything but the most important need to all newbies is education, Please dont think im being harsh with you but trust me I know, ive wasted hundreds in the past.

hth
Sue x

Hi Claire, I'm not happy with the fact that we were given written instructions on how to do infills and sculptures and not even shown a demo. I want to be confident in the application and caring of my clients nails and at the mo just feel sooooooooooo nervous at the thought of someone even asking for maintenance!

The mani and tip application side I feel confident with, and the L+P and gels that I have applied aren't actually that bad for a newbie (I don't think anyway). All I've done is application at the mo though!

Have got some pix in an album on my profile page if you wanna give me your opinion? Any feedback I'm greatful for!

Cheers Sue and thanks for your advice! I'm considering going down either the gel or L+P route first, mastering one of those, then move onto the next.

I have bought myself a nail trainer from eBay and to be honest have only used it the once to apply tips. Which brand did you use to practise with? I have only Salon Systems at the moment. Did you use the actual brand that you would use on your clients on the nail trainer or did you buy a cheap brand? I'm just thinking about the pennies and don't want to wash anymore down the drain! x

Hi Tilly01

I use the products that I use on my clients on Handrea (My Nail trainer lol) I found using a cheaper brand gave crappola nails on her lol, also if I had a specific problem with the brand I use in my home salon I can iron them out by using her as finding live models can be sort of looking for a needle in a haystack, plus working on the trainer boosts confidence, costs can be an issue but in the long run you will reap in the rewards as you will improve.

hth
Sue xx

Hi,
I would have a word with your trainer first, but if still not happy complain to the company that organised the class. I done a training course with a well known wholesaler which I wasn't happy with, I complained but had already paid for another course. All they could have done was offer me free training. So it might be worth speaking to someone! Good luck with your nails:)

Don't give up hope and don't loose your confidence! I went to a small school that trained in everything! It wasn't until I got out into the salon that I really learned how to work with products and with clients! Most salon will train you in their products before they start you out, that is if you work in higher end places like salons and spas, or more luxious nail salons.

You can also check out Tammy Taylor for further education. Her Acrylic products are amazing and her school is fantasitic! I don't know where you live but she is in California. My old boss went to her specialized class and she turns out amazing pink and whites! Check out her website for information and a way to contact them about schooling, Got Beauty...

I will garuntee that all of us went through a few different products before becoming attached to one. I personaly love Tammy Taylor acrylic and really like the CND Brisa gel system. I've had the best results with them, but you may end up falling in love with something else. You just need to test different products till you find the one that works the best for you.

Keep your chin up! You'll get it down, my instructor always told us "Fake it till you make it!" and it worked! As long as you are trying and applying yourself no one will be the wiser and you'll eventually get it after a lot of practice!

Also check websites for instructional videos of their products, tammy taylor has a lot of instructional videos on her website, including propper nail prep, I've learned a lot from watching these videos I'm sure they can help you too!

You could also try to network with a nail tech in your area who is experienced. Ask them to mentor you. You would be surprised how many of us are willing to help new techs after all we were all there once!

I hope this was helpful!

Hi Claire, I'm not happy with the fact that we were given written instructions on how to do infills and sculptures and not even shown a demo. I want to be confident in the application and caring of my clients nails and at the mo just feel sooooooooooo nervous at the thought of someone even asking for maintenance!

The mani and tip application side I feel confident with, and the L+P and gels that I have applied aren't actually that bad for a newbie (I don't think anyway). All I've done is application at the mo though!

Have got some pix in an album on my profile page if you wanna give me your opinion? Any feedback I'm greatful for!

I understand what you mean regarding maintenance, Everyone concentrates on the application and forgets about this part and it is really important as you want those customers coming back to run a successful business, once you have done a few you will find your feet you could book a 1 to 1 to specificly target this area to boost your confidence. How long are you having between training days as you might be able to get your trainer to show you the full procedure when you go back just make sure you have some nails on that have grown out a little. Like Sue says these courses are more of a taster into nails to give you a choice as to which direction you want to go in. Where in Norfolk are you?? Claire x :)

Hi,

I haven't read the other replies so sorry if i repeat anything.
I first trained with Calgel, all was good with it - i was happy with product & training etc but then i wanted to learn L&P and fibreglass so
I too trained with salon systems and i was unhappy with the training i received. A little while later i saved up for the CND foundation course and it was the best thing i ever done - i just wish i had done it first rather than waste my money. But we live & learn and now i stick with CND all the way!

If you do go onto the CND course, you will realise just how little you learnt on the first course.

Hope you make a decision soon.
Laura x

Hi,

I haven't read the other replies so sorry if i repeat anything.
I first trained with Calgel, all was good with it - i was happy with product & training etc but then i wanted to learn L&P and fibreglass so
I too trained with salon systems and i was unhappy with the training i received. A little while later i saved up for the CND foundation course and it was the best thing i ever done - i just wish i had done it first rather than waste my money. But we live & learn and now i stick with CND all the way!

If you do go onto the CND course, you will realise just how little you learnt on the first course.

Hope you make a decision soon.
Laura x
That is exactly my experiance! :)

Hi Tilly,

Have recently done my training. Only trained Gel though. I did a night course and like your story, I wasn't happpy with the end result - used salon systems gel and IBD.:cry:

I have now trained with Young Nails. Their training was excellent and the after support is great as well. :green:You can phone up with any queries and they'll go through it with you at any stage. The other thing I like is that they give free refresher half day courses every 6 months, if you feel you'd like to freshen up on your application! I love the product and its finish. There is a community for Young Nails on this site if you wanted to ask any questions?

Don't be so hard on yourself. Think your brave to post your first pic's, you know what you've done wrong and wont be doing it again.

Also, I'd definately pratice with whatever product your are going to use, I know it all seems like money, money, money but if you pratice with another product you may not have the same issues with application, etc.

The main thing is to pratice, pratice, pratice. If you find it hard to get clients, do your own (mind mine took me 4 hrs - so be warned!:irked:), and you will be able to do infills etc on yourself as well. Maybe offer friends and family - just charge them a nominal fee to cover your costs and that way everyone will be happy:hug:

Thanks everyone for replying, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has been dissatisfied with the Salon Systems training. I'll speak to my educator tomorrow coz I have my assessment. I do feel a bit disheartened at the moment about the whole thing. I was so geared up to pass my diploma (hopefully) and get started, but now I'm not so confident in myself, OR the products that I'll be applying.

I'll look into Young Nails coz a lot of peeps on here seems to chat about it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Every artificial nail course MUST include a practical maintenance section! Otherwise it is not a complete course!!!

Covering in theoretically is not good enough.

Learning all 3 systems in a short course is also NOT acceptable.

Please speak to your trainer about this. If they don't agree please put them in touch with me. They can contact me on here or on [email protected]

(No Marian, I'm not stalking you, although it may seem otherwise :))

From what I can tell, training NOW as opposed to the dark ages (1980's), with the exception of one or two manufacturers, has gone to hell in a handbasket, whilst the products have improved. I can't quite figure out WHY that is, to be honest.

Regardless of where you train, with whom there are very basic things that MUST be covered. Marians' other post/thread about it is the place that I think all considering training need to look so I won't go into the details here.

Now as far as the idea it seems a lot of newbies have that they should come out of training and be able to go off straightaway onto paying clients....well thats a yes and a no. You should practice on real people, and to be honest, you have td do about 100 sets of nails and about 50 infills and 50 rebalances WELL to be able to offer services at market rates. I know that seems like A LOT, but in all honesty, the practice is what makes perfect (yep, Geeg, sort of plagarised you there, but its so true).

Being a nail tech is not INSTANT. It, like anything else worthwhile, is a journey. It requires continual education and involvement. Its a craft. All craftspersons (gawd so PC eh?) take years to perfect their art, and true craftspersons will tell you that they are never satisfied even if it seems to US their work is perfect.

Before you can get creative with nails, you have to have the basics down inside out and backwards and upside down and rightside up. That is the FOUNDATION where you can get creative and create your niche/market. Its not going to happen overnight.

Props to you Tilly for realising that the course you took did not meet your expectations and you didn't get out of it what you thought. A lot of people would accept what you got as "Oh this is what its about" and not realise the "truth" such as it were.

:)

Nancy

Latest posts

Back