Unidentified soak off gel/polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisole

Reaction score
So i had a client today that was coming in for a soak off gel removal and having a new one put on, i did not do the one she had on, i asked if she knew what brand it was she said she didn't know but the lady at the store she had it done told her to soak cotton pads on acetone and wrap them in foil, so i assumed it would be as easy to take off as the gelish system i am using.

Well it wasn't..... We had them in wraps for 20 minutes and after taking them off the product was still hard :irked: , i tried filling them down some more cause i had already filled the surface a bit and then started dipping the fingers in acetone, while still leaving some in the warps, in the end i had to remove it all by filing it, acetone was doing nothing to it.

A session i was planing to take maximum an hour and half took me almost 3 hours with 2 hour doing the removal, her nails underneath were terrible.

I asked her to discribe what the bottles looked liked and she told me, they were in the shape of my gelish bottles but bigger, they had a white cap and the bottle was red for all the colors, also she said one of them was round with top half aluminum color and bottom pinkish glass type color, i have no idea what soak off system is that, does anyone recognizes this?

One other thing i noticed was that the nails were not thick but were thicker then what i have seen in soak off gel/polishes.
My client though she might had used gel on her but told her it was soak off, i don't know what to say.

I had the same problem a while ago, even soaking in acetone for half an hour didn't budge it! Took me 2 and a half hours to buff off and apply Gelish but now have a very happy customer who has been back lots of times! She felt really bad but I didn't charge her for removal and she has recommended me to all her friends and always shares my nail pics on FB so it was worth it!:D

Took me over an hour tonight to remove my sisters polish/gel ? Soaked ten minutes, then filed, soaked, orange wood stick, soaked , orange wood stick and finally it all came off. It was very hard at the free edge. Had to cut her nails to remove it. Grrr.

I am still kinda mad about this, my client was furious as well, i do not understand why would these "professionals" lie about what they are using or use bad products, don't they want their clients coming back? I live in a very small town and things like this will go around quickly and reach other peoples ears, not wanting to blame other people i even doubted my new acetone for a second :eek: but no it wasn't it.
The good news for me is that now she will become a regular even asked me to reschedule for next time ;)

If this happens again try placing the hands in either heated mitts or place a heated wheat germ bag over the top of the hands, which have had fingers wrapped in acetone soaked cotton wool and then wrapped individually in foil.
Heat definitely speeds the whole process up considerably. Hth a little

If this happens again try placing the hands in either heated mitts or place a heated wheat germ bag over the top of the hands, which have had fingers wrapped in acetone soaked cotton wool and then wrapped individually in foil.
Heat definitely speeds the whole process up considerably. Hth a little

I don't have heated mitts yet, as i do plan on getting some in the near future, but i did wrap her hands in a warm towel to "speed up" the processes, it did nothing :eek:

I don't have heated mitts yet, as i do plan on getting some in the near future, but i did wrap her hands in a warm towel to "speed up" the processes, it did nothing :eek:

Trouble with that is towel will cool down very quickly thus not giving constant heat. Try a wheat germ bag or even a hot water bottle wrapped in towel if funds are short. Really does make a big difference. That combined with buffing off the top layer as you already did.
Also ensure you only remove one finger at a time or the gel on next finger will go hard again. Hth a little

Trouble with that is towel will cool down very quickly thus not giving constant heat. Try a wheat germ bag or even a hot water bottle wrapped in towel if funds are short. Really does make a big difference. That combined with buffing off the top layer as you already did.
Also ensure you only remove one finger at a time or the gel on next finger will go hard again. Hth a little

This all works for soak off gels only. I had a client have what she thought was a soak off applied on holiday. It was really thick and whatever I did acetone did not touch it. I had to file it off in the end. The product used in my client's case was Peggy Sage. It was clearly a coloured hard gel.

Latest posts

Back