University/Grants/expenses - where are your kids now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tonicj

My daughter has been very lucky and secured a good job for herself in Social Media but it didn't come easy for her. My son is in placement at minute and earning good money so I'm happy for him now but know things are not permanent for him. I have 3 lovely stepchildren, one in medicine, one in politics and one finding herself (and have no doubt she will do as well as the rest). So that's my story. How are your lovely kids doing and were the loans worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter has been very lucky and secured a good job for herself in Social Media but it didn't come easy for her. My son is in placement at minute and earning good money so I'm happy for him now but know things are not permanent for him. I have 3 lovely stepchildren, one in medicine, one in politics and one finding herself (and have no doubt she will do as well as the rest). So that's my story. How are your lovely kids doing and were the loans worth it?

Wow your kids have all done amazing! You must be so proud! My daughter is starting to look at uni's and I have to say that I am extremely worried about the huge debt she's going to be saddled with plus no guarantee of a good job afterwards in today's climate. I think things are getting harder for youngsters as every year passes so dread to think how tough things will be if/when she finally graduates. I know alot of young girls that have graduated this year and not 1 has secured paid employment. Quite a few are doing unpaid internships but there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it and I think employers are laughing really as they have the pick of the crop free of charge!. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see what other people think, but I have to say I really don't feel a degree is the passport to success that it once used to be.

Im glad you have brought this subject up. One of my sons has just come out of the army and another of my sons is in his last year of Alevels and both want to go to uni. I should be happy for them but i just think of the debts they will have. Will it be worth it? Im the only one in my family who hasnt gone to uni but iv never been in debt and im very happy. This thread might confirm or dismiss my concerns.

Wow your kids have all done amazing! You must be so proud! My daughter is starting to look at uni's and I have to say that I am extremely worried about the huge debt she's going to be saddled with plus no guarantee of a good job afterwards in today's climate. I think things are getting harder for youngsters as every year passes so dread to think how tough things will be if/when she finally graduates. I know alot of young girls that have graduated this year and not 1 has secured paid employment. Quite a few are doing unpaid internships but there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it and I think employers are laughing really as they have the pick of the crop free of charge!. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see what other people think, but I have to say I really don't feel a degree is the passport to success that it once used to be.

My sister has a masters In social work and can't find a job she's thinking of getting the boat to England if things don't turn around, I'm a fully qualified beautician but can't find work with the past 2 years despite having done work experience ect.

My husband has always worked in construction for the past 17 years and has never been out of work for a single day, friends and family with degrees are really struggling to find jobs
I have always done administration and I have been looking at job vacancies in my area and quite a few administrator assistant jobs are asking for graduates with degrees to pay them £6.19 an hour, I know everyone has to start somewhere but I don't think after doing a 3 year degree with debts of £27,000 they would be expecting to work as an assistant administrator earning £6.19 an hour.
I agree that its harder these days to find a job after college, aomeone my husband knew did a degree and the only work he could get was in a card shop restocking the shelves, its quite sad really.

But well done for what your children have achieved, they have done really well and you must be a very proud mommy x

My husband has always worked in construction for the past 17 years and has never been out of work for a single day, friends and family with degrees are really struggling to find jobs
I have always done administration and I have been looking at job vacancies in my area and quite a few administrator assistant jobs are asking for graduates with degrees to pay them £6.19 an hour, I know everyone has to start somewhere but I don't think after doing a 3 year degree with debts of £27,000 they would be expecting to work as an assistant administrator earning £6.19 an hour.
I agree that its harder these days to find a job after college, aomeone my husband knew did a degree and the only work he could get was in a card shop restocking the shelves, its quite sad really.

But well done for what your children have achieved, they have done really well and you must be a very proud mommy x

I agree my bf dropped out of school in first year, he took up plastering and has never been short of work

My boys both have degrees (so proud).
Eldest works for a charity and earns peanuts and doesn't use his degree at all. He will never get a mortgage etc at this rate.
Youngest took a temp job which a friend sorted for him (I work in recruitment) and he's now permanent and quite well paid.
So it's worth taking something less than ideal as you get something on you CV for recruiters to work with and you also get very valuable experience.
Don't agree that grads shouldn't work for minimum wage, that kind of attitude will get them nowhere when looking for work on their preferred field (just my opinion as a recruiter) x

I'm studying to be a chartered accountant, I've never been to uni, or got any student debt, I've done it all through apprenticeships. Admittedly when I was starting out I was paid £66 a week, but now I'm on very good money for my age, once I qualify this will more than double again. I think too much emphasis is put on uni these days when fantastic qualifications can be achieved whilst you earn and gain experience also. I know of a few people that did a business & accountancy degree but they still have to complete the qualification that I'm doing to be classed as a chartered accountant, so they will be a lot worse off at the end of it than I will. I'm glad I got my career without having to get into debt, the only thing I think I missed out on is the experience of uni life!

Mines just a baby & I didnt do uni myself but a friend of mine started uni a bit later 20? After being a bit lost and depressed and within a few months of graduating with computing he went to work in Singapore on a short contract 3 years later he's still there living an amazing life! So theres a nice success story.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you cant go to uni thinking your degree will get you a job, you still have to work hard and be tactical to get a great job. Loads of people with degrees dont get great jobs but if you kjow what uou want to do and go and get it, you can earn a lot and be really successful- many professional and highly paid jobs require degrees and I think you need an idea of your direction before you go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I wish the careers advisers in schools would tell kids there is more than one way to get a degree. I studied for my HND and my degree part time while working, I don't have a penny of debt relating to my education. In addition I have those five years of work experience on my cv. Sadly careers advice is centred around full time study in order to keep the system going and keep everyone in jobs. There is more than one way to skin a cat !

I have a degree, a masters and a PGCE but I didn't want to teach anymore so I became a nail tech. I'm happier now but I gave up £40k a year to work on minimum wage.
My degree is in music. My masters is in music and my PGCE is as a secondary music teacher too. I was told at school to get any degree as I'll be more employable, earn more money than someone that hasn't got one etc etc etc. But as I got to the end of my degree I began to realise that with a music degree my only options were Armed Forces Bands, Pro Musician or Teacher. I hated classroom teaching. It wasn't for me. I have a torn ACL in my knee so the armed forces was out and well....pro musician? I get paid now and then but I'm no pro. If I had to do it all again I would look into apprenticeships in accountancy or Law but because I've got a degree I can't even get one of those now. I'd say I was unemployable. Xx

I have a degree, a masters and a PGCE but I didn't want to teach anymore so I became a nail tech. I'm happier now but I gave up £40k a year to work on minimum wage.
My degree is in music. My masters is in music and my PGCE is as a secondary music teacher too. I was told at school to get any degree as I'll be more employable, earn more money than someone that hasn't got one etc etc etc. But as I got to the end of my degree I began to realise that with a music degree my only options were Armed Forces Bands, Pro Musician or Teacher. I hated classroom teaching. It wasn't for me. I have a torn ACL in my knee so the armed forces was out and well....pro musician? I get paid now and then but I'm no pro. If I had to do it all again I would look into apprenticeships in accountancy or Law but because I've got a degree I can't even get one of those now. I'd say I was unemployable. Xx

Sounds like a similar story to me, I'm a qualified social worker with a degree and a masters! But I want to be a nail tech earning minimum wage? Sounds crazy right????

Sounds like a similar story to me, I'm a qualified social worker with a degree and a masters! But I want to be a nail tech earning minimum wage? Sounds crazy right????

Haha yeah it makes us sound nuts but it's not always about the money. I love my job. Something I've never really be able to say before xx

Haha yeah it makes us sound nuts but it's not always about the money. I love my job. Something I've never really be able to say before xx

I agree, I wanted to do something I love and it's defo not about money (although I think if you get it right you can make money in this business) it's about quality of life! Im happier, My kids are happier!!

I agree my bf dropped out of school in first year, he took up plastering and has never been short of work

My brother is a joiner an he works 7 days a week x and is in £15+ an hr xx

Latest posts

Back