Unsure on my partner’s salon split, need help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu678

Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner is a self employed hairdresser. Her arrangement with her salon is £10 a day rent, a 60/40 split (60 to my partner) and she’s has to pay for all purchases and repairs. We’re also in East Anglia in a local town.

She basically feels as if she’s being ripped off and was wondering what other arrangements self employed hairdressers have with their salons?

Many thanks all

It’s unusual to pay a daily rent and a percentage split but not unheard of.

As she’s self employed it’s 100% on her to negotiate the best deal she can with the salon owner. She also needs a written contract to check what the rent will cover. Is it payable over 52 weeks or 12 monthly payments? Does it include rent free periods?

As a rough guide, the cost of a basic cut/blow dry is around the daily rent equivalent so if she charges clients £40 for a cut/blow then I’d expect her to be paying around £40 a day in rent. However, if she’s in an upmarket salon, more expensive area, tiny village, above a butchers shop, this will alter the average fee.

A 60/40 split to the self employed person if they’re supplying all their tools and products is normal but definitely not with added rent on top of that price.

For a daily rent of £10, I’d be offering an 80/20 split to the owner, at most.

Are there other stylists there? What are they paying?

Yes, there are around 6/7 other stylists and they’re all on the same agreement.

Latest posts

Back