Unsure what brand to train with, will be using it in New Zealand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I'm new to salon geek (well I've been lurking for ages but finally decided to join!!)

Now I've got a few questions & I know that some of them will have been answered before & I have tried searching but not quite what I was after.
I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist (level 3) so already qualified in manicure and pedicure. I'm wanting to train in a gel polish and I'm thinking either Gelish, Shellac or Orly gelfx. Which ever one I go with I want to be properly trained, not just watching a DVD or YouTube demo. I currently work in a salon part time and I have "played around" on my colleagues using gelish but I would would feel more confident if I was professionally trained. Any advice or opinions on these brands (or any others) would be greatly appreciated. Also want to know about lamps. I've read through a hell of a lot of posts regarding lamps and I'm still confused!!! I'm also not limited to just one brand I don't mind having two for another option to offer clients.

Now the main thing I want some advice with is I'm emigrating to New Zealand next year, I have residency already, my parents have already gone I'm just waiting for my boyfriend to finish college.
Obviously I want to train in a brand and gain a qualification that is going to be recognised there (insurance purposes, brand recognition etc)
So I don't know if it would be better to do it here and start gaining experience or wait till I'm there? The other thing is if I start a course here will I need to show certificates? ( stupid question I know but I had a blonde moment and all my college certificates are currently on a container to New Zealand!!! So I'd like to be prepared and organise new ones if I definitely need them!)
Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling but I have loads of questions running through my head lol. Oh and sorry for the misspelled word at the bottom of the page I can't figure out how to get rid of it on my iPad :-(
Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated :) xxx
Obviou

Hi everyone :) I'm new to salon geek (well I've been lurking for ages but finally decided to join!!)

Now I've got a few questions & I know that some of them will have been answered before & I have tried searching but not quite what I was after.
I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist (level 3) so already qualified in manicure and pedicure. I'm wanting to train in a gel polish and I'm thinking either Gelish, Shellac or Orly gelfx. Which ever one I go with I want to be properly trained, not just watching a DVD or YouTube demo. I currently work in a salon part time and I have "played around" on my colleagues using gelish but I would would feel more confident if I was professionally trained. Any advice or opinions on these brands (or any others) would be greatly appreciated. Also want to know about lamps. I've read through a hell of a lot of posts regarding lamps and I'm still confused!!! I'm also not limited to just one brand I don't mind having two for another option to offer clients.

Now the main thing I want some advice with is I'm emigrating to New Zealand next year, I have residency already, my parents have already gone I'm just waiting for my boyfriend to finish college.
Obviously I want to train in a brand and gain a qualification that is going to be recognised there (insurance purposes, brand recognition etc)
So I don't know if it would be better to do it here and start gaining experience or wait till I'm there? The other thing is if I start a course here will I need to show certificates? ( stupid question I know but I had a blonde moment and all my college certificates are currently on a container to New Zealand!!! So I'd like to be prepared and organise new ones if I definitely need them!)
Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling but I have loads of questions running through my head lol. Oh and sorry for the misspelled word at the bottom of the page I can't figure out how to get rid of it on my iPad :-(
Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated :) xxx
Obviou

I would go with Shellac ... Well known all over the world and well represented in NZ.

To be able to purchase Shellac, you will have to show visible proof of your mani-pedi certification.

The lamp issue is not complicated ... You must use a CND UV Lamp with CND Shellac ... Very simple. Any gel brand you might choose to invest in that requires a 4 bulb lamp only to cure will be cured with the CND UV Lamp; but CND gels and Shellac will only fully cure with its own specific lamp.

I agree 100% with Geeg. Shellac and CND are well recognized in nz.

CND nz are great to deal with and will be able to help wherever you end up. I'm based in Auckland and know a lot of techs and can help with suggestions for different regional markets are regulations. Feel free to pm me at any stage.

Allen

Shellac all the way! No other brand compares to it in any way shape or form! I love it & so do my ladies x

Thanks everybody I think I'm going to look at doing shellac and then I can always look at training with other brands at a later date. Envy I will definitely pm you thanks :)

I'm in the same position as you..or was. I'm immigrating to new zealand also and decided that CND was the company to go with for best recognition in nz.

You can't go wrong with CND :) Good luck with your move too!

Hi, i live in NZ and just did a Gelish course , but i would advise to do any training in the Uk beforehand !!! Its sooo expensive over here !! I have to pay 45.00$ for one bottle of Gelish over here :eek: and i am sure the training in the Uk will be alot cheaper, so if you want to do anything with nails,bulk by it and take it with you !!!!

Hi, i live in NZ and just did a Gelish course , but i would advise to do any training in the Uk beforehand !!! Its sooo expensive over here !! I have to pay 45.00$ for one bottle of Gelish over here :eek: and i am sure the training in the Uk will be alot cheaper, so if you want to do anything with nails,bulk by it and take it with you !!!!

Yeah but she better watch cause if she takes an amount that customs think she's gonna be using it as a business they'll charge her a hefty amount.

And theres only a certain amount of things she can take on a plane for safety (since she's already shipped her stuff in a container).

I'm in the same position as you..or was. I'm immigrating to new zealand also and decided that CND was the company to go with for best recognition in nz.

You can't go wrong with CND :) Good luck with your move too!

Thank you and you too :) where abouts are you going to be based and when do you go? Yeah think I'm going to go with shellac to begin with and then add gelish at a later date.

Ooo thanks for the advise. Where abouts are you based and do you find that you get a lot if business with gelish?
My parents have already moved with one huge container so ive got my couch a wax pot stones machine on that and then me and boyfriend are moving next year and hope to get a smaller container.
Is there many beauty wholesalers in New Zealand? O so you do a lot of ordering online?

hi , i am just starting and practice on myself,friends and daughter ! I am in Wellington , i have to order my stuff from this side, where i did my Gelish course Nail Technician, Carreers | Acrylic Nails, Gel, Nail, Nails, Training, Spa | NZ
sorry cant help you with shellac supplier ? But yes, compared to the UK and US ,its very difficult to get supply over here and very expensive ??? But if you work in a salon, i am sure they know more about where to get everything !??

Creativenails.co.nz

Shellac and CND supply and training. In fact nz is a very profitable place to operate as a 'good' nail tech. Product cost may 'seem' higher. But we also charge more. So it's really irrelevant. Product always has only been a small percentage cost of your service.

If you are finding products expensive then perhaps there may be a new to look at your business/ pricing model...

Hi I trained in Nz and was a nail tech there for 5 years. They have every nail brand you can think of, NSI, OPI, CND, Tammy Taylor, entity, ezflow, young nails....everything! So go with any. If your trained here you'll be fine to take qualifications there. Mine was fine coming back to the uk.

Hope this helps

Cheryl

It looks as though your looking at similar prices for Gelish over there as it is here. And I agree with sweetystacey be careful of what you take over as they are VERY strict on what you can and cannot take into the country! Hope that helps.

Last edited:
If a Gelish bottle is $xx that's about the same as it is here in uk they are £xx+vat trade. Roughly.
X

Please edit your post to remove trade prices. We don't post them on here. *hug*

I've used shellac before found it thick to apply especially the top coat. just got in surmanti naturale gel polish it glides on, also it has 68 colours. There main office is in NZ. The products I've used so far are great about to start my acrylic course with them through a AU trainer.

Thank you up to scratch. I didn't realise sorry. I'll remember for next time lol :biggrin:

ONS (Osyssey Nail Systems) is available in New Zealand, and has an amazing Gel Polish, I-Gel.

Latest posts

Back