Update on going caramel, honey from light blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitty_862

Reaction score
Hello, me again!

I posted a while a go on going a lovely caramel/copper colour from light blonde, and after some very good advice finally had it done! She got the colour very near perfect, but only problem is I washed it for the first time today and got ALOT of fade!

I'm worried that it will back to blonde...it's already looking a bit ginger. What should I do? Is this just to be expected after being so light? Or should I go back to the hairdresser's if it fades off more? I paid in excess of £100 so am a bit upset if it's just going to fade completely :sad:

Last edited:
did you have it bleeched blonde the first time? (when you were very light) if so with bleech it can leave the air cuticle open and as quick as the colour is out on your hair, it will fade hope i helped xx

Two things to do;

1. Use a shampoo and conditioner guaranteed not to fade colour. Pureology is the best one I have found.

2. Semi permanent colour baths will keep the colour looking fresh while the damaged bits are growing out.

After a few colour baths, the porosity will regulate and the colour will stay fresh for longer. x

Hi kitty, the only thing is to ask the hairdresser is to go down a shade in the brown colour but it may have to have a bit more warmth put in it though....
as you could easily get grab especially if it is very porous in parts....( so do ask for some test pieces first )

but if you like the colour when its just been done and you simply don't want it to fade as fast
you really do need to maintain the colour with the shampoo and conditioner that persianista recommends above .... oh and cover your hair in sunlight or it will fade twice as fast ....
its such a shame your hairdresser never mentioned this range to you , hth :) minky

There are some fab sun protect ranges being launched at the mo. Redken have brought out a hair veil with an SPF (not been poss before)
Kerastase has a great sun range too. Pureology has been developed so that all the products will prevent colour fade.

Thank you for all your advice! I have just bought two HUGE bottles of L'Oreal Professionnel Vitamino Color Shampoo and Conditioner, as I have used the Intense Repair ones before and they were very good. That is the only thing I have washed it with and I still seem to have some fade.

I guess I will just have to keep getting it re-done until it starts to stay a bit better :|

Ok...so washed my hair again today WITH L'Oreal Professionnel Shampoo and Conditioner , and am now left with just a reddish tinge. Nearly all the colour has gone in less than a week :cry:

I don't wanna be a pain in the ass, but have I got a leg to stand on if I go back to the salon??

Ok...so washed my hair again today WITH L'Oreal Professionnel Shampoo and Conditioner , and am now left with just a reddish tinge. Nearly all the colour has gone in less than a week :cry:

I don't wanna be a pain in the ass, but have I got a leg to stand on if I go back to the salon??

Hi Kitty I can see why you are unhappy especially if it only lasted a week I think it would be worth it going back as soon as possible to the salon and see what they can offer you !....

Perhaps they will add a few darker more lasting darker low lights
as I said its worth ringing letting them see it first hand ,
(and don't let to much time pass before they actually do see it )

if they are a good salon they should help you out with something a little bit darker (they just have to be careful of grab though ) hth :) minky

ok , i had a similar thing with my hair back in November , and i must have had 6 colours on it since then , mostly semis , and it is still light now . My main concern would be blending in the regrowth and the condition of your hair and to be fair , even though its not the colour you want as long as its a reasonable colour ( not green or red) and the regrowth can be blended and the condition is ok , then I wouldnt worry too much as too much colour can make the colour fade worse .
However ,you say the colour is gingery , so if it doesnt suit your skin tone i would go back and ask for it too be made more neutral ,so at least you can venture the streets.
It may just be that until your hair condition is better that it wont hold the colour although you may be able to get a better depth and tone ( as the other say , the colour may just need to get in there) you dont want to be having like 12 semis a year , especially if your hair is long

ok, so when u went from very light to caramel did u have alot of re-growth? if so what is your natural colour? u can not lift the root and tone down or put colour in to the very light length at the same time using the same volume peroxide! your roots would have been lifted and then a semi or very low level peroxide needs to be used on the length to get colour into the hair shaft! you need to find out exactly what your hairdresser has used on your hair! and yes go back! x

No I didn't have a lot of regrowth. But because my hair was fairly light she pre pigged it all first with a red colour and then I had an all over copper colour and highlights to break up the top section.

I don't think she lightened my roots? (But couldn't say as I am not a hairdresser!) I had the highlights and she put the copper colour all over.

She did say it would fade, because of the porosity but it has faded alot on the ends, although I am still left with a good amount of colour on the crown I guess where my hair is in better condition and hadn't been bleached as much?

so she put a red all over and then hi-lighted over the red? had she done a strand test on your hair? has she not heard of mixing colours? pre-piggin is very old school!

No she did the highlights and put the colour in between and and over the rest of my hair. She did do a strand test also, but I guess that would not account for fade?

really , go back for a semi , try to arrange it free of charge im sure that they would rather that you were happy and remain a client . They should be able to do a semi just to blend the whole lot in and take off the red, it needent be dark.

Ok, so I went back to the salon today on all your advice, and she said that because it had washed out so quickly she could only

1. Put a dye that was ALOT darker on, and see what it washed out too- however I don't want to do that as I never wanted to be that dark and it seems a bit hit and miss!

2. Cut my hair really short to get rid of the bits that aren't in so good condition. Again I don't want to do this, as I am trying to grow my hair, and it is only shoulder length at present.

3. Keep having treatments so that the hair is in better condition, and try again to colour it again after a while. I don't want to pay for salon treatments, as I could probably buy the same things online for a lot cheaper, and I have already paid over £100!

So I guess I will just keep putting treatments on it. She said to get a reconstructive one, that gets right in to the hair. Can anyone suggest a good one? She also suggested Moroccan Oil? Is this any good?

But dissapointed she didn't offer me a refund though, since there was nothing else she could do :sad:

Ok, so I went back to the salon today on all your advice, and she said that because it had washed out so quickly she could only

1. Put a dye that was ALOT darker on, and see what it washed out too- however I don't want to do that as I never wanted to be that dark and it seems a bit hit and miss!
:sad:

Hi kitty , Go back and say ask her to do some test pieces in a few of those darker colours which she thinks may last you longer than a week !!

try and put the ball in her court make it clear you are not happy and ask her to put it right , I know its fade ..... but after only a week and a £100 lighter its just not right ,

She should be more helpful ....... is she the owner ?
if not ask to see the owner .... but in the meantime please dont allow too much time go by as they may start saying its too late ....

go back soon asap don't book just walk in and wait .... ask firmly but very nicely for her to take those cuttings for the medium darker test peices to be done .... keep on at her dont let it go...
tell her you dont think its fair to spend all that money on something which only lasted a week !!

She needs to help you out a bit more here

Hi Minky,

thanks for your advice. She was the owner!

I'm a bit worried about her doing a darker dye as I don't really want to be any darker than it was! It was quite a big change for me after being so blonde! And I don't want to go and have it done, and then complain when it is too dark.

Hi Minky,

thanks for your advice. She was the owner!

I'm a bit worried about her doing a darker dye as I don't really want to be any darker than it was! It was quite a big change for me after being so blonde! And I don't want to go and have it done, and then complain when it is too dark.

Hi, kitty, at least let her do some test cuttings and let her show you what she can achieve .... I doubt she would put anything on it that would make it too dark , as she has her reputation to think about

ask her to test it with some medium chocolate brown tones .... as this will have some nice undertones it and will hopefully stop it grabbing and going too dark

no harm in just looking at the test bits , hth minky

Hi Kitty,

You might need to consider going 2 levels darker than your chosen colour as you already know it will fade. Within a few washes the colour will fade and be close to the colour you wanted.

I think the colours that were applied have been too light so they havent grabbed very well and have just washed out. You would probably need to have your hair redone a couple of times before the colour starts to grab and last longer without any noticable fade.

As Minky has suggested, I would ask your hairdresser to do a few test pieces with the colours she thinks would last longer. Remember, whatever colour she puts on is going to fade. x

yea morrocan oil is fab!!!!!!!!!! i put it in all my colours (tint or powder lightener),permanant straightners any chemical service really!!:Di gotta say this stuff is revolutionary,not since the ghd straightener hav i heard such hysteria ova a product. but its true,serums are now yesterdays news this stuff is like a serum/leave in treatment/all round finishing product all in 1!! it also works as a uva/uvb filter 4 environmental protection,but as it is an oil based product,a little gets u a long way hun so dont go ova board it can look like u walked out ov a fish n chip joint lol:p a pea size to start with i say its always better to build the product up slowly,less waste,better end result:D:D hth hun
emza xx

Latest posts

Back