Using client's own polish/Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlee-c

Reaction score
I have changed from shellac to gelish over a year ago now and sold all my shellac. I had a client last week who had saw a pink shellac on one of her friends and wants that.she wants a bottle for me to use on her I'm not willing to buy it however she is.if she buys the shellac herself and something goes wrong where would I stand?or should I just buy the bottle and keep it for her

Thanks
Charlotte

How is your client able to buy a bottle of Shellac - is she a professional?

If a client asked me to do her nails with a bottle of Shellac she had bought I would have to decline.

I would also decline if I had changed brands and sold everything pertaining to that brand.

If you want to buy a Shellac base coat, colour coat, and top coat and have the means to still perform a Shellac service then go ahead ... although financially it would not be worth it.

I'd buy it and have it as stock to use on any client if anyone else requests it. Its a pro product and should be kept as such in my opinion

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If your client is buying her own Shellac you can guarantee that it's not from any authorised source therefore the chances are high that it may be fake. If it's fake you may have curing and longevity problems - are you prepared for her coming back to complain when they chip and peel, asking for a refund or a free re-do? Also if fake, you could end up with a potential allergy situation. Would your insurance cover you in that instance? Highly unlikely!

If you don't offer Shellac then you don't offer it - simple as that! If it were me I would politely decline and offer her something that I do have in stock x

Also, as Jacquelineanna says, if you were to buy the Shellac colour do you also have the base, top coat and lamp? If not you will again run into under-curing problems, chipping, peeling and allergy issues x

Also, as Jacquelineanna says, if you were to buy the Shellac colour do you also have the base, top coat and lamp? If not you will again run into under-curing problems, chipping, peeling and allergy issues x

Very good point. No point buying it in if you don't have the whole system

I have changed from shellac to gelish over a year ago now and sold all my shellac. I had a client last week who had saw a pink shellac on one of her friends and wants that.she wants a bottle for me to use on her I'm not willing to buy it however she is.if she buys the shellac herself and something goes wrong where would I stand?or should I just buy the bottle and keep it for her

Thanks
Charlotte

Well, unless you still have your CND Shellac base and top coats and CND lamp to use, you'll have to mix systems, which CND forbids and which could cause problems. Why don't you ask her what the color is and see if you can find it in another system that you can use with your Gelish base and top coats?

If shes willing to pay for the top coat, base coat and color coat, and is ok with you buying it for her....then why not? You could keep it for her and it would be only hers to use. I would explain the importance of you buying it vs her buying it because she could easily buy a fake.

If I were you I would decline. If you were to agree to use shellac just on her, what if other customers find out? They might want you to get hold of other colours and do theirs, you might even get other clients requesting a completely different gel polish brand and if you make the effort to stock something you don't really use just for one client then they will expect you to do the same for them. Search through the collection you have now for a suitable alternative, if she doesn't like it then that's her problem!! :)

xXx

I would simply decline. Tell her that you will create something more original for her.

I had a client in for shellac removal the other day. She had been away to Spain for a hen weekend. While sitting round the pool they realised that out of the 12 of them, six had Tropix shellac on their toes.

Vicki x

Thanks everyone.
I didn't really want to start buying different brands in just for clients.although I do still have my lamp base and top coat which I would of used.i will just tell that my insurance won't cover if she was to get it.
Thank you

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back