Using regular polish over Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortshadylady

Reaction score
Hello Geeks

It has been a LONG time since I last visited (all thanks to my 'other job' and horses being confused with cows but that's a whole other story!).

Anyway, I have a question that a client posed to me today; I had applied a french Shellac on her and after around ten days, she decided to paint over it (using regular nail polish) to change the colour. She said that she really struggled to lay down the polish nicely and that it took a few coats. I do believe she normally uses the polish on bare nails with no real problem. I'm afraid I stupidly didn't take note of the brand.

I just wondered if there is any specific step that would be recommended when applying regular nail polish on top of Shellac. I personally can't imagine that there is. Should she have applied regular base coat on top of the Shellac top coat for example?

Thanks ever so much in advance for any advice.
Deb x

I've always just applied polish to the shellaced nail and removed with acetone free remover. No problems at all xx

I've always just applied polish to the shellaced nail and removed with acetone free remover. No problems at all xx

Thanks so much. Did you use a regular polish base coat on top of the Shellac? Thank you again for your reply!

Thanks so much. Did you use a regular polish base coat on top of the Shellac? Thank you again for your reply!

No need for base coat on top of shellac just colour and top :)

No need for base coat on top of shellac just colour and top :)

Fabulous. Thank you! I was pretty sure this was the case but I'm a shocker for questioning myself. Thank you both again x

Actually I think it is recommend that a base coat be used to get the nail polish to stick, It's definitely that way for brisa lite smoothing gel so I assume it would be the same for shellac.

Normal polish won't stick as well to shellac as it would a base coat.

It sticks perfectly for me without base coat, and if you are to use vinylux that would be better

Nail varnish with no base coat will usually stick well to natural nails but base coat is still advised as it prevents staining and makes it last longer , i think shellac is no different. I may be wrong but I do believe this to be true.

But yes vinylux would be even better, plus it has a fab shine :D

Thank you all again!! Super helpful. I'm very grateful x

Latest posts

Back