Using Salon Geek

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidgernetball

Ubergeek
Reaction score
As we enter a new year I just wanted to start a post on getting the best out of Salon Geek.

Many on here are professionals, some excelling in their field. I run a successful and busy beauty salon and do a lot on Salon Geek to support others just starting out or those wishing to grow their business. I often receive personal messages asking for advice and support which I'm glad to give.

To that end, I think I'm quite well qualified to ask the following.

If you write a post asking for help put as much info as you can. These messages aren't texts so please don't use text speak. We're not limited on the amount of characters we use, so text speak just makes it hard to read, and likely to get ignored.

Please use punctuation and leave spaces like this one above. It makes reading a whole lot easier. A great wall of text can be quite off putting!

Spelling doesn't come naturally to all of us but please read back through your message and make sure it actually makes sense. If it doesn't, or if predictive text has jumped in, or a full stop has appeared out of nowhere it's really easy to edit your text. It makes it a lot easier to help geeks when you know what they're asking.

Please don't assume that it's all women on this site. There are many male therapists on here, so please don't address your text to 'ladies' or 'girls'. It's just rude.

Please use the search bar. Many questions have been asked before. If it's a common question, I no longer suggest using the search engine. It should be your first port of call.

Think about how you would like to be spoken to. If you think someone's post is stupid or irrelevant, telling them will just upset them. Just ignore.

Finally, if someone has helped, please do them the courtesy of thanking them. There is nothing worse than going to the effort of replying, often at length, when you don't know if that person has even read it - even more so if you ask for help through a personal message.

I love Salon Geek. I think there are some truly amazing therapists and hairdressers on here who give their time freely so please help us to help you and help grow our businesses.

Vic x

Amazing advice! Here's to 2016.

Completely agree. I also want to add in that things can be read into in the wrong way.

I believe no one on here is particularly critical in a nasty way so if you're offended. Take 5 minutes out then re-read. And assume people are trying to be constructive not nasty.

Fantastic post as always Vic, it is so trying when you are expected to help those who can't be bothered to help themselves, especially for Geeks who give an awful lot of their time and expertise for free.

Perhaps this could be made a sticky? X

Finally, if someone has helped, please do them the courtesy of thanking them. There is nothing worse than going to the effort of replying, often at length, when you don't know if that person has even read it - even more so if you ask for help through a personal message.

This one is my personal bugbear! Sometimes a poster will ask for some advice - then post three more times in the space of an hour or so asking why no-one has yet replied - and then when you do reply you never hear from them again!

This one is my personal bugbear! Sometimes a poster will ask for some advice - then post three more times in the space of an hour or so asking why no-one has yet replied - and then when you do reply you never hear from them again!
And none of us have got work to do have we x

Bravo[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Wise words Vic. I couldn't agree more and I do hope people take notice to this as its really antagonising and repetitive xx

Hilarious.....you are actually writing the salon geek rules?

You are no position to tell us how to conduct ourselves? If we don't want to say thank you we don't have to...we can also write as little or as much info about an enquiry as we want.....you can't tell people to use'proper grammar' either? There is no rule about how to spell or write words?

If we don't want to say thank you we don't have to...

Indeed, that is your choice, but the original poster made no commands, rather she suggested that people "please do them the courtesy of thanking them", but then it appears courtesy is an alien concept to some people...

You are no position to tell us how to conduct ourselves? If we don't want to say thank you we don't have to...we can also write as little or as much info about an enquiry as we want.....you can't tell people to use'proper grammar' either? There is no rule about how to spell or write words?
Your an idiot, rude and vile, I don't think you've ever got anything constructive or helpful to say to anyone. The op can suggest anything she wants to as can all the other geeks on here, I'm going to make a suggestion too, delete your account and go elsewhere!

If you are courteous people are more likely to help you, and be courteous back.

It's also easier to follow a well written query.

If someone can't be polite to someone who is helping them. I hate to imagine how they'd behave to their colleagues, clients, general public.

Your an idiot, rude and vile, I don't think you've ever got anything constructive or helpful to say to anyone. The op can suggest anything she wants to as can all the other geeks on here, I'm going to make a suggestion too, delete your account and go elsewhere!
Actually, @sallysally, i agree with @surf girl, having read some of your comments of previous threads. I think you're a very negative and contrary person.

I believe if we were to tell you the sky is blue, you'd argue its any colour but!

Salon Geek isn't a brand or company helpline, it's a forum of professionals helping each other out. Geeks volunteer their knowledge and advice to those asking.
Saying thank you isn't mandatory, but it's not difficult either.

Yes that is my point exactly! The OP can suggests whatever she wants,as I was also trying to say any of the OPs can write what ever they want.....without been told what to write......idiot ,rude and vile? Couldn't agree with you more......

I'm not telling anybody anything. I'm suggesting that if people want help with their business they actually read back what they've written to ensure it makes sense and that they are courteous to each other.

I think I may have made a helpful comment on one of your posts once. My bad!

Geeks I think we just need to add this to the botom of the original post (which I totally agree with):

Do not feed the trolls.

If someone posts something and obviously tries to get a rise out of you, rise above it - they want a reaction out of you and will move on if they are ignored ;)

New Year, fresh start, so let's keep this thread on track please as it would be a shame to have to close it.

One to one comments of course should be taken to Private Message.

Thank you.

my favourite is when you get another message that just says

?!

because you haven't instantly replied... bugs the life out of me [emoji23] I get it so often, someone even asked if there were any vacancies for a part time job ... then 10mins later I get "?!" arrggghhhh [emoji12]

"There is no rule about how to spell or write words?"

Actually there is. In this case, it's called English.

Latest posts

Back