UV Gel How to?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayevix

Reaction score
Hi, im a trained hairdresser with my own salon, im trained in manicure/pedicure and acrylic nails.
I'm fancying some uv gel polish as im fed up of polishing my nails as they always chip :(
im not interested in doing this on my clients as most of my time is dedicated to hair, but.... do i just paint it on as i would clear uv gel on top of acrylics to my natural nail instead of varnish, or... is there a specific way to build it up etc?
Thanks in advance, Faye x

UV Gel is not really something that can be taught via a forum.
You're really best off taking a course with one-to-one training.
Perhaps enquire with the same school that you took your Acrylic's course with.

You get a how to guide when u purchase the kits, it's not the same as doing a course but if you are already trained in acrylics you'll pick it up quickly x

The problem is that 'how to' guides don't teach how to 'float' the brush and other tricks that will guarantee success.
Much better to skip hours of wasted time and wasted product (which equals money) and take the course right off the bat.

When one considers how much trouble-shooting is done on these forums and how often questions are asked by those who HAVE done the course....I think it's quite clear that a course is needed and a must.

Ps: taking shortcuts always end up costing more in the end

If its just a gel polish there is no 'floating' etc needed, it brushes on like polish. Base coat, colour and top coat.

If its just a gel polish there is no 'floating' etc needed, it brushes on like polish. Base coat, colour and top coat.

My bad, I didn't read it properly.
That would depend on what kind of 'gel polish' it is because many companies are throwing that name around, and their products are all very different.

I still feel strongly in favour of a course.

I haven't done a gel polish course but I am qualified in manicures and gel nails. It is very easy to do. I use mani-q gel polish and you just:

1) sanitize the hands and nails
2) remove cuticles and push back eponichium
3) Remove shine from the nail plate, remove dust and debris then swipe
4) Add protein bond (primer) to the tip of the natural nails
5) Apply thin layer of base coat and cure for 2 minutes
6)Apply thin layer of colour and cure for 30 seconds
7) Apply second thin coat of colour and cure for 30 seconds
8) Apply thin layer of top coat and cure for 2minutes
9) Use nail swipe to remove dispersion layer and apply cuticle oil

If you are qualified in manicures and prepping nails for nail enhancements then I don't see a problem with using gel polish for your own nails. Just make sure you follow the instructions for timings etc. as different brands vary. Shellac for instance is a hybrid technology which is a different chemical formulation than other gel polishes, You don't need to remove shine for Shellac. I don't know if you can buy all brands with your qualifications but there is a lot to choose from:biggrin:

I haven't done a gel polish course but I am qualified in manicures and gel nails. It is very easy to do. I use mani-q gel polish and you just:

1) sanitize the hands and nails
2) remove cuticles and push back eponichium
3) Remove shine from the nail plate, remove dust and debris then swipe
4) Add protein bond (primer) to the tip of the natural nails
5) Apply thin layer of base coat and cure for 2 minutes
7) Apply second thin coat of colour and cure for 30 secon
8) Apply thin layer of top coat and cure for 2minutes
9) Use nail swipe to remove dispersion layer and apply cuticle oil

If you are qualified in manicures and prepping nails for nail enhancements then I don't see a problem with using gel polish for your own nails. Just make sure you follow the instructions for timings etc. as different brands vary. Shellac for instance is a hybrid technology which is a different chemical formulation than other gel polishes, You don't need to remove shine for Shellac. I don't know if you can buy all brands with your qualifications but there is a lot to choose from:biggrin:

Am I understanding this correctly

"5) Apply thin layer of base coat and cure for 2 minutes
7) Apply second thin coat of colour and cure for 30 seconds"

This seems the opposite way round to everyone else as it's the colour that needs 2 mins ???????

Latest posts

Back