VBAC stories?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedia

Reaction score
I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant and trying to decide whether to try for a VBAC or go for an elective section. I convince myself one way, then talk myself right back out of it again.

Just wondered if anyone had anything they wouldn't mind sharing (positive or not so lol) to help me decide.

Many thanks - I realise this is quite an emotional topic.

I've had three c sections due to medical reasons and to be completely honest i don't understand why anyone would actually choose to have a major operation like this if they don't actually have to? after the birth of your baby surely you want to enjoy your baby and not spend unnecessary time recovering? it might seem simple and the easy option but please believe me its really not especially when you already have children to look after x x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

If id had the choice id have done it naturally x x

I've had three c sections due to medical reasons and to be completely honest i don't understand why anyone would actually choose to have a major operation like this if they don't actually have to? after the birth of your baby surely you want to enjoy your baby and not spend unnecessary time recovering? it might seem simple and the easy option but please believe me its really not especially when you already have children to look after x x

I know it's not an easy option - i've had a section. My consultant wants me to have a think and decide what I want to do so just looking really for any input, but particularly from people who have had a successful VBAC.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I have to weigh up the disadvantages as well as the advantages. It's not quite so cut and dry really.

i have had four sections and elected for a vbac after section one. it didnt go well and i ended up having a section anyway.

I felt cheated, useless and a bad mum. (only being honest). I felt like it was my fault and that i wasnt trying hard enough to deliver naturally but due to medical reasons i had to have another section.

funnily enough I wasnt offered a choice with baby three but with baby four I was ( I was rather shocked) i elected a section and spent the rest of the pregnancy getting used to my choice. I am glad I did as my womb split at 34 weeks and we almost didnt make it. NO more for me.

I feel that id rather be frank with you, YOU do whatever you feel is right for you. Its not easy getting over a section but if a section is going to give you piece of mind then do and vice versa. Its not a competetion, you no less of a momma for having a section. all that matters is a healthy relaxed mom and baby. if doing it naturally feels right then go for it BUT please dont beat yourself up like i did if you cant. ( so silly, but everyone kept telling me to do it and so when it went wrong i was gutted).

best of luck

tigi
xxx

I'm scared of childbirth and wanted a c.sec but was told no. Then was told placenta was low so needed one then was told placenta moved so didn't need one, then when the day came, I had to have an emergency one and it took me a year to start to get over it. If the hospital had just listened to me from the off, none of that would have happened... Your body, your baby. You decide hun. Either way it hurts like Hell lol x

I felt cheated, useless and a bad mum. (only being honest). I felt like it was my fault and that i wasnt trying hard enough to deliver naturally but due to medical reasons i had to have another section.

I felt like that after my first - my midwife even asked me if 'i felt like a failure because I hadn't managed to do it properly'.

I would happily go for VBAC if I could know it would turn out ok, with my first I was in labour about 13 hours before having a crash section, I really don't want that to happen again, and I guess I need to factor my age into the equation again. I'll be around 3 weeks off 40 when i'm due.

Thank you so much for sharing xxx

I know it's not an easy option - i've had a section. My consultant wants me to have a think and decide what I want to do so just looking really for any input, but particularly from people who have had a successful VBAC.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I have to weigh up the disadvantages as well as the advantages. It's not quite so cut and dry really.

Im sorry i think i can across as harsh and i honestly didn't mean to, i just ment that i personally found my second and third sections so much harder because i already had little ones to look after where as recovery after my first really wasn't too bad x x

My first question is why did you have the first section? If it was failure to progress or baby wasn't descending then you could either trial VBAC with careful monitoring or go straight for elective. If it turns out that it was failure to progress and the same happens you could opt for section sooner rather than later but at least you would have given it a go.

I had natural deliveries but with my 4th knew I had to have a section as he was breech and failure to thrive. I went into premature labour and had emergency section. I personally thought it was awful, I couldn't hold him because the midwife wouldn't let me so there was no skin to skin and then I had internal bleeding plus bladder retention so had to go back to recovery for monitoring. I did see him being delivered which was lovely, they just lowered the drapes. Also, at the time I was a single mum so not being able to drive for 6 weeks or be of much use to my other kids wasn't great.

With my last one I was asked if I wanted an elective, my answer couldn't come out quick enough, no!! I wanted a VBAC, it wasn't the best labour I have had as I had to be continuously monitored and had to lay on the bed, I couldn't even sit up as the baby kept going down to where she needed to and they had to keep re-adjusting the monitor.

They don't let you go over with trial VBACs and I got a sweep 4 days before she was due. I had a successful VBAC and wouldn't have changed it for the world, it was a quick labour, I got to hold her straight away and she actually did that baby crawling thing up to me which is so cute to see.

Above all, it has to be your decision, sections are major operations and shouldn't be taken lightly but you may have to consider it if your or the baby's health are at risk.

x

I know a couple of people who've had successful VBAC's. I think it's VERY dependent on the situation. I am a firm believer that mum *usually* knows best and hopefully you can find a midwife who will support you in your wishes as long as you are having a problem free pregnancy.

I had 2 natural births and then a section with the twins because Daisy was upside down (she's still SUCH an upside down girl even now at 1 and a half lol) As soon as i'd had the twins i was determined that i had to have another baby and a VBAC basically because i felt like i'd missed out on labour and birth with them.

There's alot of information avaliable online about VBAC's and HVBAC's ..for and against.. personally i think it has to be an individual decision based on whats best for you and baby.

How exciting to be pregnant though. i am SO maternal its ridiculous. I've got 4 children already and if i had all the money in the world i would keep having more but alas no more for me now! I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide xxx

Latest posts

Back