Very difficult client-advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winnie2013

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping for a bit of advice as I'm dreading seeing this client in a couple of weeks. Basically I work for a clinic that does lots of advanced treatments. We also do laser hair removal. Any way this client purchased a course of 7 full body sessions and when she came in for her consult she basically told me that I had to do the highest settings, that she wouldn't accept my explaining that it might burn her etc. And dictated to me throughout the consult. She been on google and handed over the most ridiculous settings. I smiled through it and basically told her that she had no say over the settings for her treatment as I am the professional and the settings she wanted were not suitable for her. if that was not something she was willing to accept or was unhappy with ten we would refund her as were weren't the clinic for her.

Well she decided to go ahead with treatment and has been awful ever since. She does not want to understand or listen to the simplest thing I tell her, she says I've missed areas, I re explain that laser is 80% effective at most and we are only 2 treatments in and while we get her hair cycle under control there will be some patchy areas. She argues about the settings every time. She tells me it's her money and she wants to know everything I am doing and again tells me to put them up. I have told her everything she needs to know and the answer is always "why?" To the point where I don't know what else to say. She talks over me. She tells me how educated she is and I should tell her more (despite the fact she has paid me to treat her not train her in laser!)

In the end she upset me so much I had to get the manager involved who was amazing and said that I was one of her best team members and my settings, shot count etc were all correct and that was that. My manager told me that if she is still the same to call her again.

However she is in again soon and I'm worried she's going to come in and give me loads of abuse and questions again and all I can think to say is "you have spoken with my manager, nothing will be changing with this treatment, would you like to have it still or would you like me to get my manager to call you again?" Or just answer every question with "it's company policy" as I'm on my own without a manager on site.

I don't want to look like I can't handle it but she is actually making me feel sick at the thought of seeing her again.

I know I can call my manager about it if there is a problem but it's just I don't know what to say to her if she starts up again and as I'm on my own I'm really worried.

What a delightful person. :|

I would speak to her more firmly. Being nicey nice isn't going to get you anywhere with this woman. You'll have to fake superiority. It's hard, I know but these types are a frigging nightmare until they're put in their place. Is your manager close by when you see this woman again? Could you talk to your manager and tell her your concerns exactly as you've said here and ask her for physical backup? It would be great if your manager could be there too to hopefully put a stop to this ridiculousness.

What is it with some people? Don't you just feel like saying "well if you're so damn informed about it all and know everything, why have you employed me to do it? Do it yourself" and then chuck instrument/machine/whatever at their head.

What a delightful person. :|

I would speak to her more firmly. Being nicey nice isn't going to get you anywhere with this woman. You'll have to fake superiority. It's hard, I know but these types are a frigging nightmare until they're put in their place. Is your manager close by when you see this woman again? Could you talk to your manager and tell her your concerns exactly as you've said here and ask her for physical backup? It would be great if your manager could be there too to hopefully put a stop to this ridiculousness.

What is it with some people? Don't you just feel like saying "well if you're so damn informed about it all and know everything, why have you employed me to do it? Do it yourself" and then chuck instrument/machine/whatever at their head.

Oh I'd love to throw the machine at her head! Unfortunately my manager isn't even contactable until 2 days after her appointment so I have no back up. Also I tried being really firm with her and it worked initially (I told her that she would tell a pilot how to fly the plane when she pays £x for her ticket, so she can't tell me how to operate this laser) and then she just....bounced back twice as bad and got really aggressive then next time I spoke to her. I refused to keep repeating myself and told her not to worry about the laser as that was my job not hers etc. I'm actually scared of her, does that sound pathetic? Because my manager said she wasn't happy with the outcome of the call so I don't know how she will be when she comes in. Also as a "meet in the middle" strategy my manager said I'd tell her my treatment plan for her, but there's nothing new in that respect! I do this setting because it's was I believe will work, you get all the end points I look for that says it's working. There's no more to it! What else am I meant to tell her.

How about before you start, ask her if there are any questions as you need to remain extremely quiet during the procedure so that you can concentrate and get the best results. Then make sure she's got no more questions (you'll need to repeat yourself with this one) and that she can ask questions when the treatment has finished. Then every time she pipes up say "shhhh".

That might make you feel less nervous during the treatment and once it's done, it's done. Then kick her out ASAP saying you have another client waiting and you'll speak to her next time. Hope that helps a little.

Funny how she says she's not happy yet she's still coming back for treatment. Some people just love to know every bit of info! I don't do laser but I would probably tell her everything will be burnt if she doesn't follow your instructions and she will scar for life 😂

I would speak to your Manager prior to this appointment, expressing your concerns as you have done here, and ask if she could be present to nip any problems in the bud. As Manager surely that is her job, to support you and sort out any issues with clients.

I love dealing with clients like this, I'm not sure what that makes me! I think this comes down to the decision you can come to with your manager. The next time the client comes in, depending on her attitude I would simply tell her that you don't feel like this is the right clinic for her to be treated in. This is an advanced treatment and you don't feel she has trust in your work, therefore you will offer a refund for the rest of the treatments. Again this depends on the agreement of your manager I'm not trained in laser so not sure how you it stands with not completing the course. Is there another therapist you could pass her onto? The main point here is that in no way are you there to be spoken to in a rude, patronising and condescending way. I wouldn't personally continue to treat this client regardless of what my manager said. If she wants to pipe down and let you get on with your job then by all means continue. However it would concern me what this client is going to be like once the treatment was complete. As what you've said it seems like she would be one to complain it hadn't worked and demand her money back anyway.

Tell her if she was really that concerned that you were doing it wrong she'd have gone elsewhere by now. And I agree, say you need silence while you're working. Or simply tell her you've already explained all of these things and keeps asking and she can refer to the leaflets available for client advice add necessary x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hate clients like that! I had one when I was waxing,she was sat bolt upright looking at everything I was doing,no matter how many times I told her that she needed to lie back (i even had the bed down) in order for me to get everywhere,she insisted!! I told her as I got further up the leg that if she didn't lie back,that I would actually hit her when removing wax...she still wouldn't! Well,my hand went a little too far(!),and she got a little slap in the cheek of a hairy strip...she lay down after that!! And has been coming back ever since,LOL!

Have you tried changing the subject and talk about something completely different? Like, literally just ignore the questions/statements that you've already answered,and talk about something entirely different...a big story on the news is good. People like that ALWAYS have opinions on everything and are only too happy to put them all on you...she'll be happy out,and you can just let her rant on!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

You have done really well by being firm, polite and professional.

Keep strong. When she mentions that fact that she is paying, nod in agreement and say " Exactly. You have chosen to spend your money with an experienced and confident therapist. If you had wanted a weak therapist whom you could dictate to you would have gone to a less prestigious clinic."

I can't stand rude clients like this, if I were you I would just carry on as if she doesn't bother me, stay confident and stick to your previous answers with any questions she asks, people like this jump at any sign of weakness! As said above, try and change the subject of conversation during the treatment to keep her distracted and if she keeps going on about turning the machine up see if you can have some pictures on hand to show the effects a burn from laser hair removal can give, we were shown these in training (I think they were just from google) and tell her she may not be able to feel it and they don't always show up straight away so you must be very careful with the setting of the machine as you obviously don't want that to happen to her! Keep it light and keep smiling, as long as you are professional and know what you are doing she has no reason to complain! I feel for you though, these clients are horrible!

Thank you all for your replies. I've tried distracting her with other topics and it's fine while she's talking about those and then she just goes off on one again haha! My favourite but is when she states something as fact which isn't true. Like why I do different settings in different areas of the body, skin is skin apparently and I should do the same settings everywhere....at that point I said no that's not the case due to sun exposure and THAT is why I was doing the treatment and not her!

I don't think you should have to be constantly justifying yourself to this client. As said above, you have already been polite and professional and answered questions, but if she persists I would be inclined to say "You don't appear comfortable with me carrying out this treatment for you. Would you like me to speak to my manager again and get another therapist to carry out the remainder of your treatments?

I don't think you should have to be constantly justifying yourself to this client. As said above, you have already been polite and professional and answered questions, but if she persists I would be inclined to say "You don't appear comfortable with me carrying out this treatment for you. Would you like me to speak to my manager again and get another therapist to carry out the remainder of your treatments?

She only wants me (god knows why she obviously hates me!) also everyone else is refusing to treat her lol! Alarm bells. If love to just refund her x

Tell her to shut the f... up.

Imagine her face when you say it in your head and start laughing hysterically. Maybe she won't want to come back. :biggrin:

She only wants me (god knows why she obviously hates me!) also everyone else is refusing to treat her lol! Alarm bells. If love to just refund her x

Well, if that's the case then tell her that you want to give her the best treatment possible and you can only do this if you know she is comfortable with you. If all else fails do as MM says.:wink2:

Tell her to shut the f... up.

Imagine her face when you say it in your head and start laughing hysterically. Maybe she won't want to come back. :biggrin:

MM, I'm trying VERY hard to be a lovely Geek!:biggrin:

I love dealing with clients like this, I'm not sure what that makes me! I think this comes down to the decision you can come to with your manager. The next time the client comes in, depending on her attitude I would simply tell her that you don't feel like this is the right clinic for her to be treated in. This is an advanced treatment and you don't feel she has trust in your work, therefore you will offer a refund for the rest of the treatments. Again this depends on the agreement of your manager I'm not trained in laser so not sure how you it stands with not completing the course. Is there another therapist you could pass her onto? The main point here is that in no way are you there to be spoken to in a rude, patronising and condescending way. I wouldn't personally continue to treat this client regardless of what my manager said. If she wants to pipe down and let you get on with your job then by all means continue. However it would concern me what this client is going to be like once the treatment was complete. As what you've said it seems like she would be one to complain it hadn't worked and demand her money back anyway.

I agree, you're being paid to Laser her hairy body - not take abuse from her.

I wouldn't take any stick from her, if she gets rude just politely say to her 'please don't speak to me in this tone or I will be unable to continue your treatment'

I do like to have new procedures explained to me fully, firstly so i know what to expect (can't complain after session 1/8 i've got hair growing back) and secondly just to asses the confidence in the response. If the beautician is confident in what she's telling, i'm confident she knows her stuff.

On a separate note, I'd love this done - didn't know it was available in salons - is it expensive? And how effective is it? (oh gosh, do i sound like your client!?)

I agree, you're being paid to Laser her hairy body - not take abuse from her.

I wouldn't take any stick from her, if she gets rude just politely say to her 'please don't speak to me in this tone or I will be unable to continue your treatment'

I do like to have new procedures explained to me fully, firstly so i know what to expect (can't complain after session 1/8 i've got hair growing back) and secondly just to asses the confidence in the response. If the beautician is confident in what she's telling, i'm confident she knows her stuff.

On a separate note, I'd love this done - didn't know it was available in salons - is it expensive? And how effective is it? (oh gosh, do i sound like your client!?)

Her consultation took me 90 minutes as I went through everything with her but she just keeps repeating the same questions haha, feel like it's ground hog day!

I work in a clinic, there are some very good clinics around that offer it (I like cynosure lasers personally having worked with IPL in the past ad a few others, cynosure always gives me the best results) The prices range dramatically, sk:n are supposed to be good but they are very pricy, whereas Proskin are good also but much more affordable however there's not many around, and I think they use cynosure too. X

Sedate her through her treatment?!

Lol, seriously though, you have much more patience then me lol xx

Latest posts

Back