Very frustrated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Clarky

Reaction score
In this thread I have two queries. The first being, my local health and safety officer says that we must wear masks when filing nail extensions as new regulations are being brought in. Has any one else heard of this?

My second, and maybe controversial point being WHY DON'T ALL TECHS WEAR MASKS ANYWAY! I have worn a mask myself for years because I am sensitive to the dust. I work full time, mostly doing nail extensions. I ended up the lining of my nose becoming raw, nose bleeds, sinus and breathing problems, and I know I am not the only one who has had this. However YES I do have extraction in the nail desk, and YES I do have good ventilation, and I am also aware of the other ways of minimising dust inhalation, yet still the problem occurs without a mask. Surely this proves you will still inhale dust even if you do it by the book. I know there has been research into the effects of the monomers and they have been found to have minimal risk, but I am talking about DUST INHALATION, which doctors already know has a negative effect, longterm on the health. I am sick of some nail techs out there insinuating that if you wear a mask you must not be professional or use dangerous products. I also think that it is very foolish to say "I'm having no problems so why wear a mask". I'm sure there will be many nail techs out there that will do it for years with no problems, just as there are many 40 a day smokers that don't get lung cancer, but why gamble. Why would you not protect your heath. :grr:

Do you offer your clients a mask as well...?

Generally no, as they are only exposed for short amounts of time, whereas we are exposed day in day out over years, long term exposure. However will gladly supply masks to clients who are worried (which we have had none), or if there may be a medical reason (which we have one client, how has a dust allergy and she asked for one).

In this thread I have two queries. The first being, my local health and safety officer says that we must wear masks when filing nail extensions as new regulations are being brought in. Has any one else heard of this?

My second, and maybe controversial point being WHY DON'T ALL TECHS WEAR MASKS ANYWAY! I have worn a mask myself for years because I am sensitive to the dust. I work full time, mostly doing nail extensions. I ended up the lining of my nose becoming raw, nose bleeds, sinus and breathing problems, and I know I am not the only one who has had this. However YES I do have extraction in the nail desk, and YES I do have good ventilation, and I am also aware of the other ways of minimising dust inhalation, yet still the problem occurs without a mask. Surely this proves you will still inhale dust even if you do it by the book. I know there has been research into the effects of the monomers and they have been found to have minimal risk, but I am talking about DUST INHALATION, which doctors already know has a negative effect, longterm on the health. I am sick of some nail techs out there insinuating that if you wear a mask you must not be professional or use dangerous products. I also think that it is very foolish to say "I'm having no problems so why wear a mask". I'm sure there will be many nail techs out there that will do it for years with no problems, just as there are many 40 a day smokers that don't get lung cancer, but why gamble. Why would you not protect your heath. :grr:

First of all your health inspector is full of crappola ... there is no legislation that says nail technicians have to wear masks nor is there going to be.

I can't stand wearing a mask, see no reason to do so and I won't do it. Maybe I'm one of your foolish people who is gambling with my health .... except that I don't have any health issues despite being behind the table for many years.

I have always worked with overhead extraction ventilation right there in my breathing zone ... and I have always made it my business to minimise airborne dust when I work. It takes me no time to finish my nails as I do the finished nails with my brush and I very rarely blend tips these days so what is the problem? I don't sniff and I don't cough and just passed my latest medical with flying colours. I also do not overreact to situations that are easy to control with good working techniques and good working habits.

With regards to the health inspector, I thought as much. Thank you for clarifying this point. I am a good nail tech, love this industry and hope to be doing it for many years to come. As I said before even if you take ALL POSSIBLE PRECAUTIONS, when not wearing a mask you will still be inhaling much more dust on a daily basis than the general public. This is why I thinks its important to think about your health in the future, even if you are not having problems now. I understand that it is a personal choice to wear a mask or not, and that it does take some time to get used to, but if you do choose to wear one you should not be treated like some kind of idiot, unprofessional nail tech, or be told you are over reacting. I take on board all your comments Gigi and hope you have understood mine.

Last edited:
Hi. I read an american health report on the internet some time ago (it was a few years old and i cant find well the hell i read it but will keep looking for a link!) but it said a mask doesnt do a great deal to protect you from inhaling the dust. Most of them dont fit over the face correctly and tend to gather dust over them so that when you remove them it just spreads the dust into the air again. It also said that to make any improvement you need to change your mask requently thoughout the day and that most nail technician were just reusing the same one. Also some people were getting skin irritation around where the mask touched there skin.

It adviced it was better to use an overhead extraction / ventilation system to protect you and to not sit with your back bent over and face too close to the clients nails!

I dont think its unproffessional to wear a mask but i wouldnt wear one.

If I don't wear a mask, usually by the end of the day I am sniffing and have an itchy throat. If I leave it a few more days the symptoms I listed above occur. I always wear my mask while filing and I am currently having no problems, so they obviously do work, or at least further reduce the amount inhaled. I know many other nail techs that have had the same experiences.

This has been subject of an HSE research project as they have identified dust as one of the most potentially harmful aspects connected with artificial nails.

The answer to this issue is the methods of working that minimise dust.

It was also identified that masks can cause problems as mentioned in a previous post. Fitting is essential and wearing the same mask for a short time can cause a bigger problem as the fabric becomes and attracts the dust.

Working practices are key!

With regards to the health inspector, I thought as much. Thank you for clarifying this point. I am a good nail tech, love this industry and hope to be doing it for many years to come. As I said before even if you take ALL POSSIBLE PRECAUTIONS, when not wearing a mask you will still be inhaling much more dust on a daily basis than the general public. This is why I thinks its important to think about your health in the future, even if you are not having problems now. I understand that it is a personal choice to wear a mask or not, and that it does take some time to get used to, but if you do choose to wear one you should not be treated like some kind of idiot, unprofessional nail tech, or be told you are over reacting. I take on board all your comments Gigi and hope you have understood mine.

If they work for you and stop you from having health issues then thats a good thing, but like everything else, they dont suit everyone.

You seem to think that techs who wear masks are considered unproffessional but i'm not sure why?? I'd have thought its a personal choice and as you say you're sensitive to the dust, so it seems like the mask is a good thing for you.

I'm still training and i dont find i have a huge ammount of dust flying about when i'm working so it doesnt bother me not to wear a mask but i'm not doing nails on a full time basis. If in future i felt i was sensitive to the dust i would certainly consider wearing a good quality mask to see if it helped. I wouldnt see it as something unproffessional i just think it would irritate me being on.... i cant even wear a polo neck jumper or a scarf without getting fed up with it, i doubt i'd enjoy having something over my mouth and nose :)

With respect it was you who were labelling those who chose Not to wear a mask as foolish.

It may be a personal choice to wear a mask but in my opinion and with the right precautions and, working practises,and following manufacturers' guidelines re extraction ventilation it is not necessary. Maybe the better question would be, Why do so many technicians FAIL completely to follow or heed the manufacturers' advice????? Manufacturers do not say ...you must wear dust masks,but they all advise the use of extraction ventilation.

The next poster is correct about masks being ineffective which is why they cannot legislate and force anyone to wear one if they do not wish to.

Hello with regards to the masks not fitting etc. You can get proper masks that people working in big boat years etc wear they have these regulations they are like a number f something (as you can see I dont wear a mask often but when I started out I made loads of dust and always wore one). They look exactly like a normal mask, but fit realy well and stop the inhilation, my mate who works for demolition got me some and explained about them. They were great and id say they stop near enough all the inhilation. Hope this helps if anyone was on this thread looking to buy a good mask, id say check the net if you want some they come in bulk from like building supplies lol xxxxxx

I think we wil have to agree to disagree on this one. I do follow all manufacturers instructions, but still I have a sensitivity to the dust. But as my doctor pointed out allergies to things we have used for years can occur at any time, and if I had always worn a mask, I may never have become sensitive to the dust in the first place. The fact that there are many techs that follow all the correct procedures and manufacturers instructions but still suffer problems shows the fact that enough dust is still inhaled to cause problems, and wearing a mask helps this problem. As I said before, it is personal choice, but when clients come to me saying that they have been told by other techs that if we use a mask we must be using bad products, I get angry. I would also make the comment that all mobile techs should be wearing masks as there is clearly not the correct ventilation in place in every house you visit.

I don't wear a mask because I wear glasses and the mask fogs up my glasses. Totally frustrating to say the least. Not to mention they are uncomfortable and hard to breath through. Also unless you get a specific type of medical mask they don't serve the purpose of preventing all the fine, fine dust particles from getting in through your nose or mouth.

I think we wil have to agree to disagree on this one. I do follow all manufacturers instructions, but still I have a sensitivity to the dust. But as my doctor pointed out allergies to things we have used for years can occur at any time, and if I had always worn a mask, I may never have become sensitive to the dust in the first place. The fact that there are many techs that follow all the correct procedures and manufacturers instructions but still suffer problems shows the fact that enough dust is still inhaled to cause problems, and wearing a mask helps this problem. As I said before, it is personal choice, but when clients come to me saying that they have been told by other techs that if we use a mask we must be using bad products, I get angry. I would also make the comment that all mobile techs should be wearing masks as there is clearly not the correct ventilation in place in every house you visit.

I think it is a matter of respecting each individual's choice rather than disagreement don't you? Of course if YOU are sensitive to dust then YOU have to take precautions. Many other are not (in my case even after 20 odd years) and so do not see the need.

I think it is not nice to label someone as 'foolish' for making their individual choice based on intelligence and good working habits or 'unprofessional' if one makes a different choice. It is not disagreeing just making a different conclusion.

As for mobile nail technicians ... whether they ALL wear a mask or not is their decision based on how they work and how much airborne dust they create.

I think we wil have to agree to disagree on this one. I do follow all manufacturers instructions, but still I have a sensitivity to the dust. But as my doctor pointed out allergies to things we have used for years can occur at any time, and if I had always worn a mask, I may never have become sensitive to the dust in the first place. The fact that there are many techs that follow all the correct procedures and manufacturers instructions but still suffer problems shows the fact that enough dust is still inhaled to cause problems, and wearing a mask helps this problem. As I said before, it is personal choice, but when clients come to me saying that they have been told by other techs that if we use a mask we must be using bad products, I get angry. I would also make the comment that all mobile techs should be wearing masks as there is clearly not the correct ventilation in place in every house you visit.[/QUOTE]

Mobile techs have the advantage (or disadvantage in money terms!) or having a gap between clients when they are away from the dusty atmosphere. Also, as they work in peoples houses and not a salon environment they dont have to battle with dust caused by other technicians. They are less at risk than the salon tech, although they would obviously still need to keep up with general ventilation requirements!

I pop a mask on when using my drill to do backfills, which generates a small amount of dust, but i don't wear a mask during the rest of the treatment, if you apply your acrylic so it is nearly spot on there should only be a minimal amount of filing, plus your extraction system should out most of the particles.

The only times i do wear a mask is the rare occasion when i have a cough or cold and don't want to breathe germs on my customers - but wearing one all the time would give out the wrong impression to the customer and they may go away worrying about the implicatons on their health - of which there is little chance of any problems - one hour inside the salon every two/three weeks.

Latest posts

Back