Vinylux going thick and gloopy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley-r

Reaction score
Hiya I've been finding that my Vinylux is becoming awfully thick and gloopy.

3 bottles - Beau, Tutti Fruity and Negligee the ones I've used the most are so thick and gloopy, they barely spread on the nails and I have to dip the brush in about 4 times for each nail. It goes on awfully thick. I have just under half left in the bottles and I've had them about 2 months.

Some others I've had as long including Wildfire, Purple Purple and Grapefruit Sparkle but haven't used as much are fine.

I'm worried that I'm spending loads for them not to last because if I can't use past half a bottle because it becomes unusable then I'm not getting what I should out of them. I store them in a box in a cool place not in direct light. I thought it might have been to do with the heat weeks ago for Negligee but since my other 2 colours have also become awful and unusable.

Anyone had similar problems?

The bottles I've had approx 2 weeks are fine at the moment but don't know how long for! :/

There are two things that will cause any polish to go gloopy and they are:

Not mixing (in the case of VINYLUX not SHAKING) the polish thoroughly before using and keeping the bottle open for longer than necessary (in other words, not polishing quickly enough).

All polishes that are not mixed thoroughly result in the solvent separating or splitting from the pigment. If not thoroughly mixed, the solvent will evaporate super fast and the polish will become thick and gloopy in a shorter period of time than is normal.

Polishing quickly and accurately comes with experience. If you are not an experienced polisher then you will not be painting fast enough to avoid excess evaporation. Time to speed up and even more important to do so with a polish that dries faster than any other on the market. Drying fast is a WINNER but the down side for the inexperienced is that you have to be super fast and accurate when painting with it .

Especially for those who have only begun in the industry by using UV cured polishes and never used traditional polish much ... You really have to speed up dramatically when using VINYLUX .... No time to hang about with it.

My advice to the poster is threefold:

1. VINYLUX is not expensive to buy and you have got your money back 10 times over even with half a bottle left.
2. You can't resuscitate the polish so bin it and get new bottles of the colours that have gone thick and learn from the experience.
3. Shake VINYLUX well and paint fast and you won't need to replace any more bottles.

Vinylux dries mega fast - it's one of the perks of the product! However, if you're polishing slowly then the solvents will be evaporating leaving the polish gloopy. I used to hold the bottles in my hand whilst polishing until I realised that heat makes the solvents evaporate faster and it goes gloopy quicker, especially with this hot weather we have been having - I'm sure it's better when it's not such muggy weather. Make sure that when you're polishing, the bottles aren't under your desk lamp (especially the top coat as the pro light technology makes it "react" under ambient light). And shake it to wake it! It needs mixing or the pigment stays at the bottom of the bottle whilst the solvents sit on top, and they make a quick getaway when the lid is off.

EDIT: crossed posts with Gigi!

Xxx

I read that you can use polish thinner with vinylux, but it will affect the dry time. It might be worth trying instead of throwing out a half full bottle.

I read that you can use polish thinner with vinylux, but it will affect the dry time. It might be worth trying instead of throwing out a half full bottle.
It would affect everything to add thinners, dry time shine etc ... The very things VINYLUX is all about. It would be sub standard, and you don't use substandard CND products on clients!! :irked:

It would affect everything to add thinners, dry time shine etc ... The very things VINYLUX is all about. It would be sub standard, and you don't use substandard CND products on anyone!! :irked:

Not trying to irk you, Geeg. I read it on the CND website under Vinylux FAQ. Wouldn't think they would give advice that would render their product substandard.

Not trying to irk you, Geeg. I read it on the CND website under Vinylux FAQ. Wouldn't think they would give advice that would render their product substandard.

It's sub standard if the dry time is affected. CND don't even have thinners for the polish. They just probably figure people will be silly enough to use it if it is a FAQ and they are. giving a warning that dry time will be affected ... I can asdure you that CND are certainly not advocating that anyone thin VINYLUX with a solvent!

It's sub standard if the dry time is affected. CND don't even have thinners for the polish. They just probably figure people will be silly enough to use it if it is a FAQ and they are. giving a warning that dry time will be affected ... I can asdure you that CND are certainly not advocating that anyone thin VINYLUX with a solvent!

Seems like they would just answer that no, it cannot be thinned instead of saying that polish solvent will thin it, but affect dry time. If they really didn't want anyone trying to thin it, why would they say it could be done? They have no problem stating Shellac cannot be thinned. So why would they have a problem stating unequivocally that vinylux can't be thinned?

Seems like they would just answer that no, it cannot be thinned instead of saying that polish solvent will thin it, but affect dry time. If they really didn't want anyone trying to thin it, why would they say it could be done? They have no problem stating Shellac cannot be thinned. So why would they have a problem stating unequivocally that vinylux can't be thinned?

I hoped I had made it perfectly understandable but I will try again.

The sheet is for Frequentky asked Questions ... Just because they say one can do it but there will be consequences if you do, does not mean they are saying DO It or that CND are promoting it in any way. They are answering the question honestly ... Yes you could but it will affect the polish in a negative way. Now it is my opinion that most professional people would take that advice as read and do the professional thing and not be inclined to try it as clients would be disappointed with the results of a compromised product. They are actually crediting us with professionalism and intelligence for a change ... So lets be that way.

Shellac cannot be thinned which is why they say it cannot be thinned ... It would be dangerous and it just wouldn't cure properly. There are not the same issues with a non UV cured polish. They are not the same thing at all. HTH Rach.

Last edited:
I think I made it perfectly understandable but I will try again.

The sheet is for Frequentky asked Questions ... Just because they say one can do it but there will be consequences if you do, does not mean they are saying DO It or promoting it in any way. They are answering the question honestly ... Yes you could but it will affect the polish in a negative way. Now it is my opinion that most professional people would take that advice as read and do the professional thing and. not be inclined to try it as clients would be disappointed with the results of a compromised product. They are actually crediting us with professionalism and intelligence for a change ... Do lets be that way.

All they stated was that it would affect dry time, not wear or shine. I personally wouldn't call Vinylux a substandard product even if it took longer than 8.5 minutes to dry. I fully believe if CND was of the opinion that it would damage their product, they would answer that the polish cannot be thinned. But as always thanks, Geeg for your point of view.

All they stated was that it would affect dry time, not wear or shine. I personally wouldn't call Vinylux a substandard product even if it took longer than 8.5 minutes to dry. I fully believe if CND was of the opinion that it would damage their product, they would answer that the polish cannot be thinned. But as always thanks, Geeg for your point of view.

One of Vinylux's USPs is the rapid drying time, so to compromise this is comprising the product and the service :)

One of Vinylux's USPs is the rapid drying time, so to compromise this is comprising the product and the service :)

Thankfully, I am mot having this problem. Although if I was, I think I'd go the route of attempting to thin it as opposed to throwing out half full bottles. CND themselves say it can be done. It wouldn't be going against manufacturer's instructions. I'm simply posting info I read on the manufacturer's website. The OP is free to use it or not.

Im not having that problem with my polishes but my top coat has LOADS of bubbles in it when applied.. I bought another one thinking i did something wrong to it.. But same thing.. Loads of bubbles:( what am i doing wrong ? Thx

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Im not having that problem with my polishes but my top coat has LOADS of bubbles in it when applied.. I bought another one thinking i did something wrong to it.. But same thing.. Loads of bubbles:( what am i doing wrong ? Thx

Are you shaking the top coat? While the color coats need to be shaken, the top coat does not. I assume shaking the topcoat could cause bubbles. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Are you shaking the top coat? While the color coats need to be shaken, the top coat does not. I assume shaking the topcoat could cause bubbles. Other than that, I'm not sure.

No i had read on SG that it does not need to be shaken so i am not shaking it.. Really dont know what i am doing wrong :(

Latest posts

Back