Vinylux over French Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi, my niece is only able to wear French shellac for work (I do grapefruit sparkle and cream puff), but as she is going on holiday for a week she would like some colour. I've bought vinylux lobster roll for her but I'm a bit worried about staining the French underneath. Is it perfectly ok to just use the vinylux over the top of the completed French shellac? Will the white tips still show through? Will it be easy for her to remove herself after a week with non acetone remover? Will the French be stained?
Thanks x

Hi, my niece is only able to wear French shellac for work (I do grapefruit sparkle and cream puff), but as she is going on holiday for a week she would like some colour. I've bought vinylux lobster roll for her but I'm a bit worried about staining the French underneath. Is it perfectly ok to just use the vinylux over the top of the completed French shellac? Will the white tips still show through? Will it be easy for her to remove herself after a week with non acetone remover? Will the French be stained?
Thanks x

I haven't tried wearing Lobster Roll over a Shellac French but I do wear Vinylux over my BL Smoothing gel all the time now. I haven't had the smoothing gel stain yet but I do use the top coat over the smoothing gel before I paint and I lightly matte it first with a soft buffer before painting. Why doesn't she just wear the colour for a week or two and not worry about whether or not it will stain; then when she returns you can remove it and see. you are going to have to remove it anyway at some near stage.

I haven't tried wearing Lobster Roll over a Shellac French but I do wear Vinylux over my BL Smoothing gel all the time now. I haven't had the smoothing gel stain yet but I do use the top coat over the smoothing gel before I paint and I lightly matte it first with a soft buffer before painting. Why doesn't she just wear the colour for a week or two and not worry about whether or not it will stain; then when she returns you can remove it and see. you are going to have to remove it anyway at some near stage.

Thanks. I am shellacking her nails the day before she goes away (French), then she was going to apply the vinylux the day of her holiday (she is only going away for 1 week) so she was going to remove the vinylux herself the day she returns (because I'm not around) all ready for work the next day with hopefully the French intact. Perhaps if I do 2 shellac topcoats that might protect the French underneath a bit more? I agree this is a right palava but the poor girl is desperate for a bit of colour for a week but MUST have French as soon as she goes into work the next day, she's not even allowed bare nails!

Thanks. I am shellacking her nails the day before she goes away (French), then she was going to apply the vinylux the day of her holiday (she is only going away for 1 week) so she was going to remove the vinylux herself the day she returns (because I'm not around) all ready for work the next day with hopefully the French intact. Perhaps if I do 2 shellac topcoats that might protect the French underneath a bit more? I agree this is a right palava but the poor girl is desperate for a bit of colour for a week but MUST have French as soon as she goes into work the next day, she's not even allowed bare nails!

Gotcha! :D We all know that Shellac top coat can stain with certain dye from clothes, spray tans, curry powder etc but it is only surface so if worst case scenario happened, she could lightly use a soft buffer to remove. Maybe you have time to experiment on a colour pop or something before she goes or someone may come along who has tried it and can give more insight than I can st this stage. If it were I, I would have a go on a colour pop if time permits.

Gotcha! :D We all know that Shellac top coat can stain with certain dye from clothes, spray tans, curry powder etc but it is only surface so if worst case scenario happened, she could lightly use a soft buffer to remove. Maybe you have time to experiment on a colour pop or something before she goes or someone may come along who has tried it and can give more insight than I can st this stage. If it were I, I would have a go on a colour pop if time permits.

Thank you. Yes I agree about the surface staining with currys etc which was why I was wary, especially as she's chosen bright lobster roll!. I'm going to experiment on my pinkie and see what happens I think.

Some weeks ago I went to a funeral. At this time I wore Shellac Azure Wish on my fingernails and Shellac Tropix on my toenails. I found it unsuitable for a funeral and therefore I paint both over with Vinylux Vexxed Violet. I let Vinylux Vexxed Violet some more days on my nails and when I took it off, I had no staining to the brighter colours Shellac Tropix and Azure Wish.

Hope that helps ....and sorry for my not perfect English.

Greetings from Germany!

Some weeks ago I went to a funeral. At this time I wore Shellac Azure Wish on my fingernails and Shellac Tropix on my toenails. I found it unsuitable for a funeral and therefore I paint both over with Vinylux Vexxed Violet. I let Vinylux Vexxed Violet some more days on my nails and when I took it off, I had no staining to the brighter colours Shellac Tropix and Azure Wish.

Hope that helps ....and sorry for my not perfect English.

Greetings from Germany!

Your English is great :)
Thanks very much, that's good to know there was no staining.

Out of interest what job does she do that requires a french manicure Im intrigued?

Out of interest what job does she do that requires a french manicure Im intrigued?

I don't know if it's for the same reason that the op's client can only have a French manicure, but I work In a supermarket and I'm not allowed bright colours, but I can get away with a subtle french. Just a thought x

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know if it's for the same reason that the op's client can only have a French manicure, but I work In a supermarket and I'm not allowed bright colours, but I can get away with a subtle french. Just a thought x

She said she isn't allowed bare nails? I just wondered what type of job it was.

She said she isn't allowed bare nails? I just wondered what type of job it was.

Sorry, that's what I get for skimming posts!!

Maybe paint a coat of negligee vinylux over her shellac or retail her a bottle to use between the shellac and lobster roll. Xx

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back