Wannabe male nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy gunn

Reaction score
I posted this in "my forum" but thought i'd repost it here......

Hi all,
Where to start..... well I'm a 28 year old male with an artistic streak, I always excelled in art but never written word so when I left school I trained and worked as a goldsmith for just over four years, It was the best job I've done so far as I would have to design and make all manor of rings, bangles etc..
after work dried up and the company I worked for started to go under I started work as a chef(in-house catering/Office party's)which was another job I really enjoyed and done for 6 years.
then I found out I was getting made redundant as they were down sizing the canteens as the office was also downsizing its staff.
so I retrained and done a first aid course, door supervisors course and CCTV course to start a new career in security and what a mistake that was I don't know what I was thinking, this job just sucks your soul away, :lol:. I'm not money motivated and would rather been skint than do a job I hate but having two kids is making me have no chose but to continue till I retrain again or find something new.

so taking all this into account has really made me want to think outside the box so to speak.
I've always been artistic as in I was training to be a tattooist but when it came down to the tattooing part I didn't like the feel of the needle in my hand pumping ink into my clients skin, i always had that voice in the back of my head saying "its not like paper one slip and its there forever, no rubbing that out" so I chickened out after doing 3 tattoos which did come out very well in the end but still I didn't like that pressure.
I'm also a sculptor and model painter. I paint highly detailed 28mm scale models that I customize and in most parts sculpt new details to them. Here is an example.
556455_326058507455801_100001549644555_861352_209333181_n.jpg

542781_326058574122461_100001549644555_861354_1647177474_n.jpg

Now when my Girlfriend wanted to paint a design on her nails I did it and didn't think anything more of it, until my sister said that what I do with my models could be adapted to do nails. then she showed me some pictures of 3d nail art and some other really good designs and when I got home I hit youtube to see how it's all done, now i'm waiting for payday to buy my first bit of kit and researching as much as possible.

I've decided that I want to retrain and to do something that I feel I could really excel at and after reading my mini life story above hope some of you could help set me on the right path, like what training courses are best, I live in london and have seen a local 5 day diploma/babtac course which looked good and had good feedback, I'm just not sure where to start, also what would be the best things to buy off the bat? I'm good with a paint and brush but now we're talking nail varnish and makeup, I don't know which ones are the best buys.

thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

If you are considering making beautiful nail enhancements on womens nails as art and a money maker (which it surely is) then I would say you have a talent and should go for it.

If you are considering that you will make a living out of doing art on fingernails or just decorating enhancements, then I would say forget it. Women will only pay for the simplest nail art and most do not want it or to pay for it.

You need to start from the ground floor and that is learning to do beautiful nail enhancements that look natural and until you can produce that (which in your case I should think will come fairly easily) then I wouldn't think of decorating what you have done.

Look at CND for the best grounding you could ever hope to get in the art of doing nails. Ring 08452106060 to discuss with one of the CND advisers re where and when. You will be embarking on a profession and one that is HUGE in scope and not learned quickly or cheaply. There are no short cuts for doing things right.

There are lots of opportunities for men in the nail profession (google Tom Bacik). He now represents the nail category for Channel (it took him 25 years to get there). He is very talented and leads a most interesting life with a wife and children by night and all the A list celebs in Hollywood by day .. he is in heaven.

Ok you need to ask yourself what you want from a product.
Do you want it to be a Buff/file or Soak off Gel or would you like to work with Acrylics.
Whatever you do dont go to these tin pot outfits that offer you the world for little or nothing & expect miracles with cheap products...

Good products to work with are

Bio Sculpture Gel
CND (Creative Nail Design)
NSI

I am sure there are many more great products on the market that you could get training from... There is a BeautyUK Exhibition this May on the NEC National Exhibition Centre which might be just up your street & give you the opportunity to see the products first hand & what you can expect from any training offered...

To get your FREE tickets as a Student ;P (they are £20 at the door) click on this link & it should link you to see everything thats on at the show...

BeautyServe.com:: The world of beauty at your fingertips

If you are considering making beautiful nail enhancements on womens nails as art and a money maker (which it surely is) then I would say you have a talent and should go for it.

If you are considering that you will make a living out of doing art on fingernails or just decorating enhancements, then I would say forget it. Women will only pay for the simplest nail art and most do not want it or to pay for it.

You need to start from the ground floor and that is learning to do beautiful nail enhancements that look natural and until you can produce that (which in your case I should think will come fairly easily) then I wouldn't think of decorating what you have done.

Look at CND for the best grounding you could ever hope to get in the art of doing nails. Ring 08452106060 to discuss with one of the CND advisers re where and when. You will be embarking on a profession and one that is HUGE in scope and not learned quickly or cheaply. There are no short cuts for doing things right.

There are lots of opportunities for men in the nail profession (google Tom Bacik). He now represents the nail category for Channel (it took him 25 years to get there). He is very talented and leads a most interesting life with a wife and children by night and all the A list celebs in Hollywood by day .. he is in heaven.

thanks for the advice, I am looking into this as mainly an art venture with a desire to turn into a small money maker as I do commission work on my models and earn money on them but work takes time away from that as employment brings a steady wage and painting don't, also it is pretty much the same in that people don't want to pay the price.
I'm just planing/hoping that if I can combine all the arty things I do then I could earn enough to live from doing what i love art and it would be a lot better than what i'm doing now.
I also do a lot of airbrush work so would possibly look into a course for airbrush tattoo/make up in the future. I know this is not going to happen overnight but at least i'll have something to aim for.;) Edit: just googled Tom Bachik and found an interesting interview, thank you.

Ok you need to ask yourself what you want from a product.
Do you want it to be a Buff/file or Soak off Gel or would you like to work with Acrylics.
Whatever you do dont go to these tin pot outfits that offer you the world for little or nothing & expect miracles with cheap products...

Good products to work with are

Bio Sculpture Gel
CND (Creative Nail Design)
NSI

I am sure there are many more great products on the market that you could get training from... There is a BeautyUK Exhibition this May on the NEC National Exhibition Centre which might be just up your street & give you the opportunity to see the products first hand & what you can expect from any training offered...

To get your FREE tickets as a Student ;P (they are £20 at the door) click on this link & it should link you to see everything thats on at the show...

BeautyServe.com:: The world of beauty at your fingertips

I've been looking at 3d Acrylics and extensions for the most part, I'll research your suggestions, thank you.

Last edited:
Young Nails is also very good x

Latest posts

Back