Wanting out of hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbiel

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've been in the hairdressing industry for 10years now. I had a bad start with my training, but really tried my hardest with every aspect.

I was given the opportunity to work in a salon Part time as a Front of House which would then lead to running my own salon and being a stylist again. However, this turned into Full time & no prospect of ever having a salon due to the owners circumstances.

I was told now there is no way I could get a pay rise or a promotion and it impossible my hours would be cut so we could get someone else in. So ive now been put of styling for 2years.

This has knocked my confidence and other things massively and ive decided that I tried my best and it just isn't for me anymore.

The issue i have is that I'm struggling to find anything else.

Has anybody done this before or come away from hairdressing and gone back?
Anyone got any ideas of anything I could do?

Are you willing tp start training again? As in take a low wage etc

Why stay somewhere if it isn't helping you work towards your goals?

There are other salons you know...

I walked out of a salon job 8 years ago as unhappy with stuff going on in salon and I'd just left a really bad relationship. I've been in civil service since but then got back into it near 2 years ago and went to college for my level 2. Started renting a chair last a year ago with no clients.
On bad days I seriously regret quitting 8 years ago, this last week in particular has been tough mentally for me.
Sounds like you need to get out of there, why don't you look for another job in different salon, even as assistant and start over? As you have done it before you should get through it much easier/better this time and would help with confidence.
I honestly wish I'd just talked to my boss instead of just quitting as I always felt sh1t for doing so when he had taken a chance on me etc. Ah well. Live and learn, make your bed and all that.

Ask yourself, is it hair you don't like or the place? You will answer your own question then. Good luck with what you decide ;-) xx

Please please don't give up! I gave for 7 years and it's the worst decision I ever made to date. I should have stuck at it - but the going got tough and I chickened and ran.
Look for elsewhere - some place that will support you in your learning.
I up and decided one day that I WAS Coming back to the industry if it killed me. I rang/visited a few salons and one day a guy took a chance on me. I cannot thank him enough and he is amazing to work for - I've learnt so much.
Go and look for courses that can help u gain confidence. I'm doing my level 3 now and run a column.
Don't give up!!! Xxxx

I left hairdressing years ago, was treated poorly, in constant pain due to flat feet which in turn effected ankles, knees, hips and back, severe dermatitis etc.
I went into a Business Admin role (easy to get) and then did a traineeship where i got my cert iii in business admin (only 1 yr) I then fell pregnant and decided to study and get my Diploma of business by correspondence.
I then had by son and couldn't bare the thought of leaving him so I set up a home salon, slowly built up clients and did well for 3 years until i missed being part of a team.
I got a job at a salon and it was terrifying as i suddenly had no confidence but i stuck with ir and its been great ever since! Ive learnt alot but ive also taught alot and i really believe that a salon environment can make you or break you. I say don't give up yet, try other salons and if that doesn't help.. You'll always have your trade to fall back on, go test other industries!
You've gotten through 10 years, you wouldn't have made it this far if you were no good.

Hope that helps xo

Latest posts

Back