Water based manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
I was wandering what your opinions on this is? and why and when would you not do a waterbased manicure? and also the pros and cons of doing one and what alternative would you do if deciding against using a waterbased maicure.

Thanks,,was doing a little reading and few things have been going thru my head thought id ask you guys your opinons......

over to you guys:idea::idea:

I don't do water manicures, personally. I don't see a need for a water based mani. I remove polish, shape nails, Cuticle Away, massage, apply polish. That's my basic.

Cuticle Away works great on the cuticle...no H20 needed. :)

there really is no actual benefit to a water mani, imo... you can add moisurizing soaks to the water and whatnot but they're not going to make much of a difference overall. However, clients love them, its relaxing, especially if you have a heated or jetted manicure bowl or use an effervescent soak. clients consider this a premium service, its part of the whole experience and they expect it when they're paying you top dollar. same goes for dry pedicures, i once considered offering dry pedicures (in some places they're very popular), but when i ran it by my clients i got an earfull!!!! i do offer a dry pedicure that i market as an "express" pedicure, it is by far one of my least requested services.

Way back in 2008 I started this thread...http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/20364-manicure-without-soaking.html which has loads of information on this topic, I eventually closed it as it seemed to haunt me by getting bumped up every so often, but it is still relevant.

Don't be fooled by the figures in the poll, as they just show how many people were 'trained' in water manicures, the comments from a lot of people 'in the know' are all against using water during a manicure.

Basically it is old fashioned, can do more harm than good for dry brittle nails, and it can muck up your polish application :irked:

I stopped doing water based manicures about 8 years ago. I think the nails absorb so much of the water and then when they dry out you get polish problems.

I prefer to use heated mitts with Solar Oil and Cuticle Eraser to help soften and moisturise.

For stubborn non living tissue I will use the Cuticle Away.

Thats great thanks girls. I am unhappy myself with water based manicures but was looking for an alternative when perfoming a luxury and heated mitts as you use fiona sound great.

Dont know what is do without this site, thanks guys xx

Thats great thanks girls. I am unhappy myself with water based manicures but was looking for an alternative when perfoming a luxury and heated mitts as you use fiona sound great.

Dont know what is do without this site, thanks guys xx

I use the heated mitts even on my basic manicure. If doing a luxury manicure then I leave them on for longer.

well you pick up new stuff everyday. I too was taught to do a soak in my manicure treatment !! well it was 1989 lol..

I have put a soak in my treatment list now, so i may just refine this to warm mitts :O)..

I am still going to soak in my spa pedicure though.. clients never remember to wash in between toes lol..
Sarah x

I stopped doing water based manicures about 8 years ago. I think the nails absorb so much of the water and then when they dry out you get polish problems.

I prefer to use heated mitts with Solar Oil and Cuticle Eraser to help soften and moisturise.

For stubborn non living tissue I will use the Cuticle Away.

What is your procedure if you don't mind me asking.
I also was trained to do water manicures back in 1983!!!!!:eek:
I like the sound of heated mitts & solar Oil. Do you then use moisturiser on the hands afterwards?
How long do you allow?

Latest posts

Back