Water marbling nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
Hey peeps,
I am trying to water mable and for what ever reason it just wont work :(

please please send me some tips..
i have tried cold water, i have tried warm, hot.... it just keeps drying :(

I'm not expert but i though room temperature was best and you have to be super quick!!

I found the few times i tried that cheap polishes seemed to work better, good quality ones were much quicker drying.... quicker than i was!! xx

I have been trying room temp and i bough cheaper polishes too.. it just seems to be forming a skin and it wont budge to marble it :(
My daughter must have tried 30 times by now lol poor kid.. we just cant seem to get it right

Hey,

I tried this after seeing the OPI tutorial and it looks so easy...but my god it so so messy!! I ended up with nail varnish everywhere despite using tape around the nail! I used OPI varnish by the way and had no problems with drying out? Just messy-ness! lol Shall defiantly keep an eye on this page for tips as I must be doing something wrong!! haha

xxxs

I use an egg cup, it is small enough that the marbling can look good with out the polish spreading out to far and drying to fast, I have all bottles in using open and ready to go like already said you got to move quick,
and I use warm water slightly above body temp ,
I use CND colors and effects , and a pin to mess with it and add lines.

I found that if the colors are pearly , glittery , metallic or anything other than cream they seem to dry quicker , BUT the CND effects are good ! and dint maybe it is because they don't have a pigment already in them ....
These are just some things I have found while messing around,
Ceri ,

mizzy_dizzy-albums-nail+art+2-picture31101-marbling-something-i-havent-ever-really-fussed-last-night-after-seeing-petrol-stained-puddles-street-i-thought-id-have-play-lol-i-used-ink-well-effects.jpg

The trick that I found best, is to not break the seal on the outer ring of the nail polish circles that form in the water (if you can picture what I mean). Using a pin, start at the outer edge (just inside the seal to ensure seal is not broken) and drag pin inwards to centre, creating a design. Be quick between dropping bead/s of polish into water and creating design with pin.

Good luck!

i agree dont break the edge, work just inside the edge and use a small cup or eggcup not a bowl. if the bowl is too big you wont get a it to set like a skin coz it takes too long to dry. if you want it to set, blow on it and it sets quicker. i have 20 opi colours and only 2 of them marble china glaze is well known for marbelling, as is sally hansen. personally i just buy £1 ones from superdrug and they work best for me. it took about 5 attemps till this worked for me but i got there in the end

Thanks to everyone for there tips. Just driving me nuts trying to crack it xx many thanks

when i was taught marbling (12years ago :/) we would paint our base coat on then drop two different coulors onto the base coat then marble with a marbler/dotting tool....you have to work really quickly though and the effect is good but just not the same as water marbling :)

Hey geeks!! :green:
Iv just discoverd the art of Water Marble Nail Art!!
and absolutly love the idea and the way it looks!!
I was just wondering if any of you use this on clients nails?
and if so how with out getting it all over their finger?
Any advice apresiated!
Much love :Kissing:

I don't do it offten enough do my liking but when I do I apply a dab of solar oil around the finger to stop the paint / varnish staining it, and also the way you angle the nails in and out can help alot but that's harder to explain :)

I love this, you can do some really great looks using this method. But i have only ever tried it on myself, everyone noticed my nails when i did and they all loved them! I used a bit of tape around mine, but not the nicest thing to have to do with a client though. Thats a good idea with the solar oil, i may try that one next time. :)

Solor oil round the nail is a really good idea. thank you i'll try this next time :)

Thats quite alright hope its helpfull ,
as for polish I LOVE water marbling with CND Colors and Effects!!!

here is a Photo of some I dd a while back Using them inspiered by
(of all things) a puddle of rain under a car lol
mizzy_dizzy-albums-nail+art+2-picture31101-marbling-something-i-havent-ever-really-fussed-last-night-after-seeing-petrol-stained-puddles-street-i-thought-id-have-play-lol-i-used-ink-well-effects.jpg

Oooh i love those :D I can't, for the life of me, get to grips with water marbling! It works on tips with cocktail sticks stuck on them lol but give me a finger and it always goes horribly wrong! i have tried every polish under the sun from CND to China Glaze to cheapy Boots ones and I just can't do it :(

I did some water marbling on my nails a few weeks back after seeing a few videos on you tube. They actually turned out better than i expected:D
I haven't used it on clients yet but if i do i will definitely try solar oil rather than tape!

Attachments

• Water marble.jpg
    Water marble.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 57,272
Last edited:
Ive just got into marbling lately and i totally loveeee it :) Ive done it on my own nails and my mates a few times. I put vaseline all round the finger, carefull to avvoid the nail, then if you use cotton wool to wipe the nailpolish off the finger before it drys it comes off with no hassle :) Then if theres any left close to the nail i use a cotton bud dipped in nail polish, this mean more preccision removal, so you dont accidently remove it off the nail xx

Hope this helps :)

I did some water marbling on my nails a few weeks back after seeing a few videos on you tube. They actually turned out better than i expected:D
I haven't used it on clients yet but if i do i will definitely try solar oil rather than tape!

When you do this do you use a base coat first, then a layer of colour e.g blue then dip them in? X

Latest posts

Back